By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will sell better, Splatoon 2 or Mario Odyssey?

Tagged games:

What will sell better, Splatoon 2 or Mario Odyssey?

Super Mario Odyssey. 256 76.88%

Splatoon 2. 43 12.91%

Both will sell practically the same. 23 6.91%

Don't know. 11 3.30%

Total:333
Darwinianevolution said:

So, watching the numbers of the WiiU software, I saw that Splatoon and 3D World are rather close in numbers.

4. Super Mario 3D World 2013 Platform Nintendo 2.24 1.31 0.74 0.35 4.64
5. Splatoon 2015 Shooter Nintendo 1.57 1.29 1.52 0.27 4.64

I don't know the precision of these numbers, but they are close indeed. With the Switch already out and Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey scheduled for this year, I have to wonder. Which one will sell better? On one hand, Mario is finally going back to the 64 collect-a-thon formula, in contrast to the 3D Land gameplay 3D World used. On the other hand, Splatoon is not longer an unproven IP, and Nintendo will push it a lot to justify their online fees. It will be interesting to see them battle it out.

Also, I leave here the last sales comparaisons that I made: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=202145&page=1

This numbers are more accurate.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html

SM3DW - 5.47m
Splatoon - 4.76m

Around the Network

mario

splatoon 2 wont sell half of what the original did

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

I definitely think Splatoon 2 could outsell the first game, but I don't think it's a slam dunk. Metroid Prime 3 undersold the first Metroid Prime game, despite being released on a much more popular platform.

It's got a lot of Twitter buzz though so that's a good indication.

not sure but both over 10 million

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Will be pretty close tbh I think Splatoon 2 might actually edge it.

Around the Network

Switch seems to have reached more outside Nintendo's core fanbase than Wii U. A more casual fanbase will favor Mario more than Splatoon.

I'm more interested in Mario but in honor of Ryng Tolu I'm going to say Splatoon 2. 

Mario will easily outsell it. More than easily. Splatoon 2 will sell less than Splatoon 1

JWeinCom said:
Switch seems to have reached more outside Nintendo's core fanbase than Wii U. A more casual fanbase will favor Mario more than Splatoon.

Disagree it's more the opposite imo Splatoon is a fun shooter casuals can pick up in the same way Mario Kart is a racer they can pick up as well as Smash being a fighting game they can get into. Mario may have appeal to the casuals but the 3D platform games are more something for avid players if anything where as the former mentioned titles have added factors that give them wider appeal.

Ka-pi96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Why!? SM3DW is such a great game. We can easily have SM3DW2 after Mario Odyssey in any case.

Very much disagree with that

And while they could make a SM3DW2 after, I'd much rather they put that time and money in to an Odyssey 2 or Galaxy 3 instead

Did you actually played SM3DW? It's definitely great game in any case and one of top 5 Wii U games, even has MC score of 93, but you talking like its bad game (like we talking about about Animal Crossing Amiibo festival not about one of best Wii U games).

I would definitely prefer SM3DW2 over Galaxy S3, IMO two games of Galaxy are more than enuf. But in any case I am glad they went with something new with Mario Odyssey.