By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch has sold 1.5m units (Superdata)

Tryklon said:
spemanig said:
Europe - "not far behind Japan"
UK - 85k

...Weird.

Anyway, the next major bump won't be until late April. Don't expect much in terms of sales until then, but that's a good push in terms of momentum.

Why weird?

It's weird seeing UK not included in EU numbers.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Tryklon said:

Why weird?

Ah yes, noticed that as well. Still, adding UK's 85k + France's 110k + Europe's supposedly ~300k, it's around 500k on Europe alone. Very good numbers for launch days

PS4: Tryklon  Steam: Tryklon

Switch: 0307-6588-7010 | New 2DS XL: 2037-2612-6964

MacBook Air (Mid 2017) | iPhone SE | Apple Watch Series 3

FallingTitan said:
Nautilus said:

No, its far more profitable to be owner of the platform and taking all the platform profits that comes associated with it than publishing it on other consoles.It is far more profitable to launch on Switch that, lets say, sells 50 million lifetime(and for the sake of the example, lets say that MK 8 sells 25 millions on it) than selling "only" 10 millions more on other platforms.Its more profitable per unit, sells consoles(and gets profit out of it), sells acessories associated with it, if manages to atract new customers, those then transform into more sale buying other games on Switch, etc etc.

lets say the ps4 and x1 and pc have over 200 million users combined. maybe ninty can get 50 more mill says per game. then that would make it better?

No because as a developer the are licensing fees and such that add to the cost, the platform holders essentially get a cut of any game on the platform before it's even sold a copy, this is why platform holders track the number of software shipped for their platform. They'll make more selling 10m on their own platform because that's 10m units of hardware sold aswell vastly increasing profit.

No company has an entire library of games that sell 50m each either so that's a wild number to claim.

Hmm, I figured they would have sold all 2M. I guess there are some regions where the interest isn't quite so high. Well, at least Nintendo will know for the next shipment, so selling completely out shouldn't be too much of a problem in regions with more demand.

thismeintiel said:
Hmm, I figured they would have sold all 2M. I guess there are some regions where the interest isn't quite so high. Well, at least Nintendo will know for the next shipment, so selling completely out shouldn't be too much of a problem in regions with more demand.

2 million is their forcast for end of March, not launch shipment.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
DélioPT said:

E3 will really be decisive... that and a Pokemon game for September! :D

Gimme a Pokemon game and I garantee to you 5 million extra Switch consoles sold. =D

:D

Pokemon Go influence + Pokemon on TV = lots and lots of money!
If they do it, even i will buy a copy. And i never cared for Pokemon!

spemanig said:
Tryklon said:

Why weird?

We are still in the EU for at least 2 more years.

zorg1000 said:
thismeintiel said:

2 million is their forcast for end of March, not launch shipment.

Oh, I could have sworn Reggie said that's what they were going to have ready for launch.

FallingTitan said:
Nautilus said:

No, its far more profitable to be owner of the platform and taking all the platform profits that comes associated with it than publishing it on other consoles.It is far more profitable to launch on Switch that, lets say, sells 50 million lifetime(and for the sake of the example, lets say that MK 8 sells 25 millions on it) than selling "only" 10 millions more on other platforms.Its more profitable per unit, sells consoles(and gets profit out of it), sells acessories associated with it, if manages to atract new customers, those then transform into more sale buying other games on Switch, etc etc.

lets say the ps4 and x1 and pc have over 200 million users combined. maybe ninty can get 50 more mill says per game. then that would make it better?

Not only thats almost impossible to happen, since those numbers havent even happened on the DS, but it would still not be advantagous over owning everything.On top of the reasons I wrote, they would lose royalties on the third party games, would also need to answer to the platform owner, which could hurt development and thus the quality, and finally the sales.And there are a myriad more reasons.And the only payback of it would be a higher install base, that it isnt even a garantee that will make the game sell higher than it would have.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

FallingTitan said:
happy nintendo had a good opener! But also secretly sad i wont be able to play mario and donkey kong on my xbox one in the future. i was kinda hoping they become 3rd party game maker if the switch fails.

I hate being forced into a system for a handful of games. but switch might do that to me in 4-5 years. I swear ninty would make way more money just making games for ps4,x1,pc. i have a x1 and strong pc. r9 390x.

I would LOVE Nintendo's games on PC.

Breath of the Wild on PC... Damn.