By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch has sold 1.5m units (Superdata)

More than Xbox One but less than PS4.

Around the Network
Helloplite said:
So, it sold 300k+ in the rest of the world? Sounds unrealistic to me. If Europe is behind Japan, that is. Still the number must be north of 1m.

Europe is already roughly confirmed to be over 300 million, Japan is confirmed to be over 300 million, US is almost always considerably above both for launches (so a 400 or 500 million launch week is likely).

At minimum the number from the 3 main markets probably in the first week was over a million. The entire rest of the world added into it (and the extra sales from hopefully Nintendo shipping more in the week or two that's followed) and 1.5 seems realistic 

BraLoD said:
But I expected 1 trillion!

In before Superdata being DDOSed because too low sales.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Jumpin said:

I think the Switch has the potential to be the biggest selling console since the DS or Wii in Europe. Mostly because it is has the correct form factor for the current market. The TV top console is in a steady decline. I predict the PS5 will be similar to the Switch, except 3-5X more powerful.

and what year are you expecting that to launch? the Switch is probably like 2/3 as powerful as a base PS4 (wild guesstimation based on constant discussion), and if you put a base PS4 power level into a handheld at the moment (not a pro) it would probably end up not only being bigger than the Switch but also would probably cost like $500

I could see MAYBE in the early 2020s Sony launching a handheld more powerful than the PS4, but yeah, down the road. Then again at that point Nintendo would probably also be releasing something similar

it really hinges on the advancements in portable technology. The trouble is that there still a massive problem in balancing power with battery. Anything short of a small laptop attempting to run high powered programs (demanding video games, editing software, etc.) seems to overpower and lose battery quickly. The balance of achieving handheld portability and running demanding programs without getting too hot.... not quite there at the moment. at least without a giant fan attached 

Sharu said:
Wyrdness said:

It did around 800k or so from what I remember.

And it was November vs March

that's an easy thing to forget. The vast majority of consoles are launched during the holidays, so just the fact the Switch is competitive with previous consoles despite launching in the awkward Spring period is pretty good news.

I mean ... its a Nintendo handheld (in a way), so it was expected to do well, but still. the nice thing about starting well in Spring is that at minimum you know at the end of the year for the holidays sales will probably be solid. The question mark is summer time. And I think Nintendo would serve themselves best by putting out a surprise big release for the summer (maybe something announced at E3 that hasn't been mentioned yet?), or convincing Bethesda to put out Skyrim in the summer instead of Fall. just for momentum purpose's

granted if Nintendo fails to distribute systems well, like has happened sometimes before, then it will sort of be irrelevant. 

Around the Network

Does that mean the Switch has sold more in a week than Sony's latest console (PS4 Pro) did in 4 months?!

NoImBrian said:
Does that mean the Switch has sold more in a week than Sony's latest console (PS4 Pro) did in 4 months?!

why would anyone compare those two? 

That is an amazing start. Now, if they have some aces up their sleeves, and get into 7-8 million before this year ends, then it is a bona fide hit.
What aces? Games, good, delicious games.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

If confirmed, pretty good and I think it's in line with what we all suspected.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

NoImBrian said:

Yes. Also more than Wii U in the last 12 months.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.