By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jim Sterling’s site under attack after Zelda: BotW review

archer9234 said:
palou said:

Sorry, I meant stamina container. But Hateno should be doable without upgrades.

Well, I fell off, by an inch, Got fustrated. And went to do something else. So the point system limit screwed the progress I wanted to do.

So you didn't solve the challenge a game gave you on the first try? Stop the press, we have breaking news.

If we could beat all bosses at the first try ... it would be pretty boring.

No harm, I understand why that can be frustrating. I felt the frustration myself some times if I nearly achieved something in BotW and failed because of this or that. But I felt like trying from another angle again, because the games gives you possibilities. And even if you cannot come up with a solution now, I can do something else for the time being.

This frustration is naturally a follow-up on open world. This allows you to go to Ganon right after the Plateau. I guess that's probably frustrating for most if they try.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

The whole thing is a publicity stunt. No one had even heard of the guy before.
The site is not even a real review source, it's just some whiny weird kid/man on YouTube (I can't tell, he looks 50, but acts/sounds and dresses like he's 15).

Either way, this is probably why meta-review sources are dumb, they don't distinguish between true reviewers and trolls.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

thismeintiel said:

The reaction from even normal Nintendo fans just shows why people were afraid to give it less than a 9, regardless of its issues. Can't really trust Zelda reviews when reviewers are afraid of angering most Nintendo fans (or maybe more accurately Zelda fans) with anything less than near perfect. Sad.

Yeah, put these DDOSing idiots in a bag with 'normal Nintendo fans'. I'm fine with Sterlings review, because he always uttered his critique as his personal opinions. Some people here in the thread want to explain me that some things are universally bad and I must be silly if I like that game mechanic. That's the difference to Sterling, he didn't do that. I might find his points blown out of proportion, but I can see why these nagged him. And 7/10 is a good score.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Pavolink said:
DAXFM said:
Only have 3 bad reviews

Gamer.no: they have a big publicity about PS4 and Horizon in their page (Horizon 9/10 and zelda 6/10)

Slant Magazine: (Horizon 10/10 and zelda 6/10)

The Jimquisition: he is a Nintendo hater

What are the complains on Slant and Gamer.no reviews? It would be interesting to read those.

I read Slant, and he complains that he fights the same enemy camp in the tutorial multiple times before leaving the plateau. I ask myself, why he did do that. I mean, no reason ever to come back if you want straight end the tutorial and get the glider. He even fought the one boss on the plateau, I didn't do that yet. So the reviewer decided to fight the same camp multiple times, but criticizes the game for his decision.

There is some more stuff, but this I found hilarious. The Slant review didn't make sense, unlike the Sterling review, which was fine by me.

I cannot see how this 7/10 gets such hate and DDoS attack when it's a complete non-trolling review despite the score. And as someone wrote, ofc it's not all the nintendo community responsible. It's always some ppl. But that doesnt negate the fact that it happens. And When most say: ok it's just a review...

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Jumpin said:

The site is not even a real review source, it's just some whiny weird kid/man on YouTube (I can't tell, he looks 50, but acts/sounds and dresses like he's 15).

Either way, this is probably why meta-review sources are dumb, they don't distinguish between true reviewers and trolls.

Nodoby has even heard about Jim before? lol

Anyway, people still didn't let it go...

Saying this, only makes you more childish than him and has nothing to do with his work.

Jumpin said:

Jim Sterling? Ex-Reviewer at Destructoid? Longtime member and host of Podtoid, Dismal Jesters, Fistshark Marketing and Podquisition?

The dude has 500k Subscribers on Youtube and recieves $11k a month from Patreon. His videos are regularly posted on neogaf and here.

When it comes to video game critics/personalities he's right up there at the top. Know what you're talking about before getting upset.

When he gave Dead Rising 4 an 8/10 and the Last Guardian a 6.5/10, he was my hero.

d21lewis said:
When he gave Dead Rising 4 an 8/10 and the Last Guardian a 6.5/10, he was my hero.

What he gives, sometimes is in our liking. Sometimes it's not. That's how it goes with every review. I still remember that 5.9/10 IGN's Alien Isolation  T.T

golfgt170 said:
d21lewis said:

What he gives, sometimes is in our liking. Sometimes it's not. That's how it goes with every review. I still remember that 5.9/10 IGN's Alien Isolation  T.T

He's like the Hulk. Sometimes, he's a hero and we love him. Other times, he's a beast and we need to blast him into space.