By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jim Sterling’s site under attack after Zelda: BotW review

irstupid said:
To anyone thinking he was not doing it for the clicks, just look at there is another thread out that shows he has a new jimquisition already out talking about the backlash.

He is doing it solely for the clicks.

He has a Patreon. There is no use of clicks. He doesn't get money from ads. He gets money from supporters.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Slarvax said:

You know what's annoying? Running out of ammo in shooters. Why can't I just have infinite ammo? It's much more fun not having to ever reload my weapon and alway be shooting. Where's the fun in stopping the action for 5 seconds just so I can't have unlimited power and be unstoppable?

Of course. Because reloading your gun (something that's found in practically all shooters) is totally the same as a tedious, arbitrary stamina system that has plenty of work arounds that renders it more annoying than it does to offer a challnege. Nice false equivalence.

So in The Elder Scrolls Morrowind when you start by walking like a snail, but later in the game you can run faster than the screens load was that a bad gameplay device?

The whole point of stamina is to limit your ability to efficiently travel until you upgrade it, no different from Acrobatics or Speed in an Elder Scrolls game. The point is that by actually working for it, your character feels better. It is hard to grasp when games today make you feel like a god an hour in until the end, but yes character progression and constraints make games fun, and it is a reward for your effort to be able to unlock more. The system is hardly arbitrary. 

I went and made this nice collage of games that scored the highly praised 94+%. Not only loved by critics, but from users aswell. Not something to argue i think. I beleieve we all (DESPITE our gaming prefernces) love these games, or believe that they worth all the praise they got:

As you can see, critic scores are somewhat familiar with the scores that gamers gave, 4,5 points max diference.

And then we have the critically aclaimed Zelda BotW that ravaged critic scores with a whopping 97% so far. But what about the users?

As you can see, we are a bit torn between critics and gamers. a whopping 21% differnce surely is not something to go by. Sure 7.6 is still great (hence 7/10 from sterling), but to go up to 97%. And for a zelda game when previous entries where so close in scores? Too much to go by... 

archer9234 said:
irstupid said:
To anyone thinking he was not doing it for the clicks, just look at there is another thread out that shows he has a new jimquisition already out talking about the backlash.

He has a Patreon. There is no use of clicks. He doesn't get money from ads. He gets money from supporters.

You don't get supporters without publicity, look at the U.S presidential election for an example of that. 

No Man Sky´s zealots? I thought we all agree No Man Sky is a bad video game.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
potato_hamster said:

Of course. Because reloading your gun (something that's found in practically all shooters) is totally the same as a tedious, arbitrary stamina system that has plenty of work arounds that renders it more annoying than it does to offer a challnege. Nice false equivalence.

So in The Elder Scrolls Morrowind when you start by walking like a snail, but later in the game you can run faster than the screens load was that a bad gameplay device?

The whole point of stamina is to limit your ability to efficiently travel until you upgrade it, no different from Acrobatics or Speed in an Elder Scrolls game. The point is that by actually working for it, your character feels better. It is hard to grasp when games today make you feel like a god an hour in until the end, but yes character progression and constraints make games fun, and it is a reward for your effort to be able to unlock more. The system is hardly arbitrary. 

Those upgrades don't require a person to stop and start momvement. You are stuck at a certain speed. That is what causes the hate. If Link had no Stamnia bar. And just let you upgrade Link's speed, over time. No one would really care. As it is. It's causing people to run, slow, run, slow, run, slow. People like holding forward, and that's it. You can argue. Than don't use run. Than why is it in the game? It's like the old Wolverine games. What's the point of having his claws. If they gave damage, to him. The Stamina bar is also not realistic. If you want realism. Than actaully do it. Allow Link to run, for a minute. Link isn't some fat guy, out of shape.

I don't think its cute that I can't get on the Haneto tower. Because my stamina bar, is one inch shy of the first ledge.

sc94597 said:
archer9234 said:

You don't get supporters without publicity, look at the U.S presidential election for an example of that. 

So thank the haters. He wouldn't of made the extra video. If he didn't have a reason. And giving someone money monthly. Is a lot more harder, than clicks.

irstupid said:

Indeed. To bad those clicks costed him showing how bad is him as a professional. It would have been better to just say he don't liked rather than pretend his "issues" are real.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

golfgt170 said:

As you can see, we are a bit torn between critics and gamers. a whopping 21% differnce surely is not something to go by. Sure 7.6 is still great (hence 7/10 from sterling), but to go up to 97%. And for a zelda game when previous entries where so close in scores? Too much to go by... 

Um, you haven't read the user reviews have you? The game had hundredsof them on the first day of release, and all of the negative ones were oneliners from people angry that the game outreviewed Horizon.

Let's compare Amazon reviews instead, which are by verified buyers. 

https://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Breath-Wild-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01MS6MO77?th=1

89% of the reviews are 5-stars

4% are 4-stars

3% are 3-stars

1% are 2-stars

4% are 1-star

Seems to match the critics much more accurately. 

sc94597 said:
golfgt170 said:

Um, you haven't read the user reviews have you? The game had hundredsof them on the first day of release, and all of the negative ones were oneliners from people angry that the game outreviewed Horizon.

Let's compare Amazon reviews instead, which are by verified buyers. 

https://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Breath-Wild-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01MS6MO77?th=1

89% of the reviews are 5-stars

4% are 4-stars

3% are 3-stars

1% are 2-stars

4% are 1-star

Seems to match the critics much more accurately. 

Same goes for all the games in metacritic user score. For exampe TLOU has 550 reviews in red category...

Mnementh said:
potato_hamster said:

You do realize that you're creating work-arounds for what others consider to be annoyances, right? The fact that you can work around it, or tolerate it, doesn't mean it's that tolerable to others, or that the work arounds make it less annoying.

Imagine if someone but a giant boulder in front of your front door that allowed you to only open the door a foot. When you complain about it, they say, "welll you can still squeeze through the door, or you can take your door off it's hinges and hop over the boulder, or you could you could just use the door on the back of your house. It's really not a problem having that boulder there if you think about it" I'm pretty sure you'd still prefer to have the boulder removed so you can use the door the way you'd like without the work arounds.

You realize that it's only an optimization for the gameplay I use. You can run as fast as you always could do in Zelda just by moving your stick completely to the border instead of just moving it a little from center. The option to run is actually added, so that you can even be faster than in earlier games. You also don't realize, that the main point of wonder is, that many people assume you have to stop and stand still to replenish stamina.

But you have all freedom to complain that you can be faster than in previous Zelda games, you can complain that you're too slow, you can complain that fast-running eats up a resource. If you dislike games with that mechanic, you shouldn't force yourself to Monster Hunter or Souls or BotW. It's free to you.

And you can keep on making fun of other peoples opinion by completely ridiculous comparisons. All that shows is that you're bitter some peeople are enjoying a game.

Who said anything about stopping to recover stamina? When has that ever been mentioned by anyone besides you? Why does it matter that you can run faster now? That's totally irrelevant. No is is complaining about his speed, just that running is arbitrarily hampered for no good reason. And besides, why does the stamina meter only kick in when you're running? What is it about running that makes Link practically shit his pants after about five seconds while he can literally jog for days? This is supposed to be less annoying to me? Okay.

I haven't made fun of anyone's opinion, thanks. Here you are practically labelling someone who disagrees with you as a "hater". Why on earth would I be bitter that people are enjoying this game? That doesn't make any sense at all.  I have no problem that some people think that BorW is the greatest game ever. What I do have a problem with is people having a mental breakdown when someone has valid criticisms of the game. Despite the reviews, this game is far from perfect, and it's good that others are acknowledging that.