By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Debate: When does a review turn into a troll review/clickbait?

The question is in the title. What are your thoughts?

Around the Network

When people only read titles and care about the score.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

What coolbeans said! xD

Also things like if the author is biased for or against something, lack of knowledge on gaming as a whole, and not understanding concepts of the game both in technical and art form. Sad that we still see that kind of shit.

When the score is unjustified by the content of the review or vice versa. See: The infamous Fran Mirabella Mario Kart Double Dash review.

I'd rather be playing Metroid Prime

Obviously when the review doesnt share my opinion

Around the Network

The more a review deviates from the average, the more I think it's either biased and should be discounted, the reviewer uses an odd scale and should be discounted, or it's clickable.

e.g. shit scoring a game with a 50s or 60s score when the average critic is in the 80s or 90s.

My 8th gen collection

reviewers not finishing games is the biggest problem for me

if it is 100 hours or more, you don't have to do everything, but the main missions and at least a fair amount of side quests is a minimal requirement

Airaku said:

Also things like if the author is biased for or against something, lack of knowledge on gaming as a whole, and not understanding concepts of the game both in technical and art form. Sad that we still see that kind of shit.

A clickbait, by definition, is meant to get clicks. I don't think ignorance really qualifies for that. It might affect the quality of a review for sure, but I don't think it makes a review a clickbait. I think ignorance also doesn't qualify as trolling

A score 25 or more points off the average. Of course, this goes both ways(I'm looking at you, NinendoLife and Playstation Lifestyle)

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Would have to be a score that is very different from 95% of other scores