By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake battles are action-based, cover optional

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has an interview with Final Fantasy VII Remake director Tetsuya Nomura, who provides a few new details on the RPG. 

Here’s the quote from Nomura:

“Because there was an imperfection in the interpretation of an interview we did at the site [of MAGIC 2017], I will explain here.

“Battles are not command-based, they’re action-based. Regarding cover actions, there are places where they can be done on the map, but they are not required. Because it’s seamless, I showed that there can be actions in response to various scenes.

“The Guard Scorpion battle has map destruction and a great number of attacks that weren’t in the original, so it has become a significantly flashy battle. If you look closely, I think that you can see that there are a number of missiles are coming down.”

Final Fantasy VII Remake is in development for PlayStation 4.

Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/03/final-fantasy-vii-remake-battles-action-based-cover-optional

Your thoughts? Personally, I'm disappointed that the game is not command based. So, I guess that you'll be able to move around like FFXV? I wish that it were a bit closer to the original game!

Around the Network

Not really a remake if they change they way you play it...

Extremely dissapointed that its not turn based, as usual.Also hate that they butchered the game into releasing into multiple parts, but oh well.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Yeah, kinda figured they changed genres with no-more-turns Nomura at the helm.

arcaneguyver said:
Yeah, kinda figured they changed genres with no-more-turns Nomura at the helm.

Maybe we need One-More-Turn Hashino to save the day!

Around the Network

This remake is going to suck sooo much...

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Technically I don't mind it being action-based, but I have very little confidence in Square Enix's ability to come up with a good battle system. It seems much easier to design a good command-based system than an action-based one. As a somewhat relevant example, Final Fantasy XV's battle system isn't exactly brilliant. It's not bad, but it's not very good either.

KLXVER said:
Not really a remake if they change they way you play it...

No, that is exactly what a remake is. They are remaking the game into something they deem it should be. Maybe something they couldn't realize when they made the original.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

He keeps mentioning things that are not required which makes me think there isn't going to be very much strategy in the game. Switching characters being optional and not needed is a huge red flag. If you don't need to switch characters, then you could make the argument that they could even take out the option to.

We still have no idea what the final combat will be. There will be changes galore before the release.

Lube Me Up

It's FFXV with FFVII skin xD

Personally I dont mind this at all.