By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake battles are action-based, cover optional

It's FF7versus all along

Around the Network

This game sounds less interesting the more I hear about it.

Sounds good to me. The more action orientated combat was my favourite thing about FF15, and while it'd be nice to see a purely visual remake of FF7, the original still exists for when i want that gameplay experience. While there's every chance i'll end up hating it, i'm interested to see what new ideas they have for FF7R.

Damn. Sorry I missed your thread. I just started one voicing the same concern.

It's going to be an action RPG, just like how it looks in the movie, Advent children. This is my most anticipated game.

Not only can you cover and take a stealth approach in the infiltration bombing mission, you can choose not too, and also there is the option to switch characters during combat. And maybe materia equipment too!

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:

It's going to be an action RPG, just like how it looks in the movie, Advent children. This is my most anticipated game.

Not only can you cover and take a stealth approach in the infiltration bombing mission, you can choose not too, and also there is the option to switch characters during combat. And maybe materia equipment too!

Maybe ? If theres no materia on FFVII you can't even tell the story.

I still think ppl are jumping the gun a bit here, its action based which doesn't mean its Devil May Cry, there is a menu we've seen it multiple times, and theres also an ATB gauge, so some sort of turn or ability cooldown is there, maybe to force you into changing characters. Also we have always known it was action based.

vivster said:
KLXVER said:
Not really a remake if they change they way you play it...

No, that is exactly what a remake is. They are remaking the game into something they deem it should be. Maybe something they couldn't realize when they made the original.

Its more like a reimagination.

KLXVER said:
vivster said:

No, that is exactly what a remake is. They are remaking the game into something they deem it should be. Maybe something they couldn't realize when they made the original.

Its more like a reimagination.

Yeah, Ratchet & Clank was a proper remake - same basic gameplay style, but thoroughly updated. SE may as well call Dragon Quest Builders a remake of the original Dragon Quest. Or Capcom could have called Umbrella Chronicles a remake of RE1-3. I think I take more umbrage with the use of the word remake here than what they're doing with the game, perhaps moreso than Sony calling the upcoming Crash Bandicoot a bloody remaster.

KLXVER said:
Not really a remake if they change they way you play it...

Remake = changeing as much as you want except Title

Remaster = keeping everything same except graphics

It appeals to me more when it's upping the visual style to couple with real time action. I find it incredibly jarring to see a close to reality style of visuals being coupled with a static turn based battle system. For what it was, back in the day with FF VII the visuals were what they were. Fast forward to today and you see parodies of the static bouncing stance like this:

it's funny to look at, but reaching that level of visuals, but sticking with that static style of TB gameplay just throws me right off, like going to polar opposite ends of the spectrum to appeal to those who like playing a game of tactical chess.

There are still TB games coming out here and there, so there is a fix for those that love them.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"