Nintendo 3DS - 113,000

Nintendo Wii - 105,000

Nintendo DS - 87,000

Nintendo Switch - 80,000

GameCube - 69,000

Game Boy Advance - 67,000

PS Vita - 61,000

Wii U - 40,000

For UK launches, not sure what the PSP was.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica} span.s1 {letter-spacing: 0.0px}

PSP had a huge launch, it was 180k I believe

It's an ok launch. Maybe by today's standards on the lower side but supply constrained and Nintendo usually don't launch big. Legs will tell the full story imo.

If this proves anything it's that longevity is the most important thing. I actually think it has a decent amount of first party games to keep the momentum till the holidays

Around the Network

Btw lads PS3 sold 165k in UK (Wii -105k , 360 - 70k). It shows launch isn't the end all game and I think 80k is a decent number.

3DS came after the best selling console in UK's history the DS and only sold 113k. Still managed to perform solidly after despite the poor first few months that came afterwards

kopstudent89 said:
Btw lads PS3 sold 165k in UK (Wii -105k , 360 - 70k). It shows launch isn't the end all game and I think 80k is a decent number.

Yes, it was an ok launch, and the launch is certainly not necessarily indicative of it's performance throughout it's life.

Barkley said:

Switch is Nintendo's Home + Portable console for the generation.

It sells substantially less then the 3ds which is also the worst selling Nintendo Portable and was only part of it's dedicated hardware business.

Fans are very 'positive' about launch sales.

That's excessive certainty!

The problem of  your and others that have this opinion , is that you're 100% sure that switch replaces 3ds too and that all of the gaming community sees it as that.

No, my friends!

Just because you think that it replaces 3DS too, doesn't mean that everyone think that switch is 3ds successor, not at its current form at least! 

Hence,  it's very early to do comparison with switch vs 3DS+WII U or switch vs 3ds.

Do you remember when Nintendo was saying that ds isn't a gba successor but a third pillar ?  People espoused that, that's why gba sales didn't drop a lot and fat ds sold just 19m in two years! The cheaper and slim, ds lite killed it in 2006 ( since the vox popouli finally realized that ds is the successor of gba ) , which sold 94m! Imagine now with switch, which has no backwards compatability and it's not a traditional handheld console, since it's also a home console!

You have to also take into account that in Europe switch cost  is by 100 euros higher than very high initial price of 3DS... When 3ds was struggling!

Most 3DS owners have bought a 3DS system at 169-199 euros, and some other at 100... ( 2DS )

Let's wait for 3DS support to die like wii u did in early  2016!

I'm pretty sure that in the first year, that mostly wii u owners and owners ( hardcore  ) of previous Nintendo home console swill be buying switch! It needs a price drop or a more afforable, portable and durable revision for a considerable amount of 3DS owners to jump!

OK Numbers.
hopefully it will be steady.... Nintendo needs to re-build a name in the UK so I guess it was expected!

Switch!!!

Around the Network

Soft start for a soft launch. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here but in all honesty I was expecting it to break or at least mach the sales of the 3DS. Maybe it was under-shipped at major retailers, but there still seems to be stock in several places.

Q4 really needs to be a blast if they intend to do 3DS like numbers in the long run.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Barkley said:

Switch is Nintendo's Home + Portable console for the generation.

It sells substantially less then the 3ds which is also the worst selling Nintendo Portable and was only part of it's dedicated hardware business.

Fans are very 'positive' about launch sales.

Its not so simple, IMO we will certanly have only handheld smaller Switch with lower price.Also few last years Nintendo become more relevant on UK market than it was on 3DS launch.

Few thing you need to take in consider about Switch sales in UK, like that actually in UK price of Switch is higher than in US or Japan, its £280 that around $350. Second is that actualy most major UK retailers are sold out Switch.

So with all above on mind, and if you look at past launches of Nintendo hardware in UK, it's obvious that Switch actually has good sales number in UK for Nintendo hardware, not best but definitely good.

The DS only sold 87,000 at launch and the GBA only 67,000? Makes me wonder how the 3DS numbers were so high at launch with such a weak lineup. Was the glasses free 3D that big a draw in the UK? How the heck did it it have a bigger launch than even the Wii?

To sell about the same as the OG DS isn't bad. If it means the restoration of normal sales for Nintendo in the UK than that's good.

Considering that we kept hearing people here argue that the switch would do much better than the wiiu because its audience will be both wiiu AND 3ds owners, I think these numbers are pretty bad. At least to those people, unless of course they change their narrative for some reason.

I, personally, think they're ok, since it seems that Ninty will be able to sell enough Switches to have a large enough installbase to sell millions of 1st party games.

Nintendo is apparently a grower, not a shower.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.