By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Map towers in games..... They are all Ubisoft games

Trunkin said:

Looks more like a vista to me. Do you see anything interesting in that screenshot besides the gorgeous skyline? 

I don't quite understand.  You're not implying that you can make a judgement about a game having interesting locations based on a single screen shot someone took because they thought it was pretty, are you?  

I hope not but, just in case:

Around the Network
DragonRouge said:

Boy, I wish I had the talent some people here are showing, I could demonstrate that 0 =/= 0 and collect my Fields Medal :P

There's a lot of difference on the impact on gameplay between pretty much just being able to see farther away and filling your map with waypoints. Also, actual integration between feature and game does not depend exclusivelly on the feature. Things that impact gameplay differently (and on different games) got reviewed differently. That's normal.

And that's clearly the same as saying 0 =/= 0.

Sure.

Farmageddon said:
pokoko said:

Sedans and hatchbacks might both be cars, have four wheels, engines, and transmissions but they have little in common ...

Well, no, that's not true at all.

Tell me, then, how you cannot use this as a vantage point:

You're basically saying to me that a player cannot climb a tower in, for example, Far Cry, visually locate something that looks interesting, and then go explore.  I know that's not true because I did it all the time.  

See the bolded.

Also, your sedan/hatch analogy is terrible. It simply ignores (not answers) pretty much everything I wrote.

That's because what you wrote was terrible.  You were trying to prove that one tower is a tower and the other tower is a cat.  It was bare sophistry.

For example, you said, "you look around yourself, you decide a spot looks funny, you mark it, go there, and check it out. If the game's core idea is exploration, that probably enhances it. Summing, the core funcion of these towers is giving you a vantage point and extending your view. Just like, you know, towers."  Except, I've done the exact same thing in Far Cry and often.  Your argument is paper.

sc94597 said:
Aerys said:

Well thé funny part is that if Horizon only has 5 , Zelda has more and you just have to climb.

I agree with the op, too much Silly comparisoks with far cry for Horizon compared to Zelda that only had One journalist who compared it to FC.

I Guess being à new IP you get more compared to other IPs

Actually there are puzzles in BoTW as well. For example the tower in the Gerudo province requires you to stack boxes in muddy water that you would drown. The one in Necluda requires you to avoid spikes that would make to instantly fall to your death. The one in Central Hyrule requires that you avoid guardians that are targeting you. 

The spikes werent really à puzzle, it just forces you  to find holes to climb, things ive already seen in far cry or other climbing towers game, and having ennemies you have to deal with before climbing or theyll make your climb hard is common thing in thèse games too.

Also Zelda has something similar to swingsuit to Travel fast from towers but thats still Silly to say its à far cry like just Because you do this.

No really, this " far cry like " thing doesnt seem to bé more deserved for Horizon than for Zelda , liké i Said being à new IP people just feel thé need to put it in some catégory. 

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:
sc94597 said:

Actually there are puzzles in BoTW as well. For example the tower in the Gerudo province requires you to stack boxes in muddy water that you would drown. The one in Necluda requires you to avoid spikes that would make to instantly fall to your death. The one in Central Hyrule requires that you avoid guardians that are targeting you. 

The spikes werent really à puzzle, it just forces you  to find holes to climb, things ive already seen in far cry or other climbing towers game, and having ennemies you have to deal with before climbing or theyll make your climb hard is common thing in thèse games too.

Also Zelda has something similar to swingsuit to Travel fast from towers but thats still Silly to say its à far cry like just Because you do this.

No really, this " far cry like " thing doesnt seem to bé more deserved for Horizon than for Zelda , liké i Said being à new IP people just feel thé need to put it in some catégory. 

You can't deal with the guardians, at least not at the point in the game when I climbed the tower. You have to avoid their attacks, which involves gauging and conserving stamina, crouching at particular strategic times, etc. The Gerudo puzzle is more involved than that though. You have to stack metal boxes, but because the physics system is realistic they sink as they would in real life. So you need to stack them so that the top ones don't sink. And it is not obvious that this is the way to access the tower. An alternative method was to fly there with the sail cloth, but a wind is placed which prevents you from reaching the tower by air. 

The point is that each tower has a different puzzle, some physics based, others with different obstacles. It isn't just  climbing. 

As for the rest of your reply, I don't care about the comparisons with far cry for either game. I just wanted to correct/contextualize your statement.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Trunkin said:

Looks more like a vista to me. Do you see anything interesting in that screenshot besides the gorgeous skyline? 

I don't quite understand.  You're not implying that you can make a judgement about a game having interesting locations based on a single screen shot someone took because they thought it was pretty, are you?  

I hope not but, just in case:

You said these giant robot giraffes could be used as vantage points, and used those pretty screenshot as an example. I'm saying the environment has too many cliffs and too much fog, and the giraffes are too short to possibly see anything of interest from these screenshots you've shown, hence, all the elevated height offers is a pretty view.

pokoko said:
Farmageddon said:

See the bolded.

Also, your sedan/hatch analogy is terrible. It simply ignores (not answers) pretty much everything I wrote.

That's because what you wrote was terrible.  You were trying to prove that one tower is a tower and the other tower is a cat.  It was bare sophistry.

For example, you said, "you look around yourself, you decide a spot looks funny, you mark it, go there, and check it out. If the game's core idea is exploration, that probably enhances it. Summing, the core funcion of these towers is giving you a vantage point and extending your view. Just like, you know, towers."  Except, I've done the exact same thing in Far Cry and often.  Your argument is paper.

First, I was defining two types of "tower" and arguing, from what I've seen here and from the reviews themselves, that "Zelda's towers are seen as being closer to the first archetype." while "HZD's towers are seen as being closer to the second archetype". I was never sayingin either case you had purely one thing or the other.

That being said, sure. If a tower fills your map with waypoints you can try and ignore that, just as you can look around and see if you find something. The point though is which sort of gameplay the two different kinds of towers are more or less conductive to, and there is a clear difference in that, which grants a different treatment to each. I never said towers of the second kind couldn't be used as those of the first one. I said their main function wasn't that, being "primarilly side mission/resource waypoint mass relays". Which is also not necessarily bad, but if some reviewers don't like that in a given game, there's nothing wrong with that either.

I also pointed about the "trope tortilla" thing, how the implementation of a feature and it's interaction with the actual core gameplay should be every bit as important for a critique as the feature itself.

m_csquare said:
DragonRouge said:
The mental gymnastics done in this thread to justify the double standards in the review process of BotW should be awarded a gold medal.

+1

But then again op also ignored many other things that make botw a really good game.

Cause OP was talking only about map towers........ and the double standards in the review process thing you just quoted is also in relation to this particular issue.... map towers.

Welcome to reality. Most commercial reviews are disonest.

TheVoraciousFox said:
Intrinsic said:

Ok, pending release a lot of gamers and even reviewers looked at horizon and slanted it for how similar it is to a "ubisoft game" because of its use of map towers. You know, those things that when you climb to its top reveals a small portion of the map.

There were reviewers that even docked points from the game citing that because it had these "map towers" that they hated it felt too much like farcry or assasins creed.

Can someone explain to me how its possible that no one has said anything about the "map towers" in Breath of the Wild?

it took me stumbling across this article from videogamer  to even know they were the game proper as most reviews I have watched didn't even mention them.

The fundamental difference is that in BOTW, the map towers only tell you the topography of the area, whereas in a Ubisoft-esque game, it fills the map with a bunch of icons and chores to do.

Which is what it does in Horizon in the videos I have seen, which immediately makes me cringe. And assuming reviewers actually are ok with towers in one game and not the other, which the OP is yet to really prove with evidence, this is logically the reason why. It's a gameplay loop that Ubi has run into the ground. You should see The Division, holy shit are there a ton of markers and points of interest on the map. Which makes me not want to even bother trying to do them all. It also lists exactly what they are with names and icons, which also sucks.

It's not even really the same gameplay mechanic, and Zelda pulls it off much better.