By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Map towers in games..... They are all Ubisoft games

JWeinCom said:

Ok.  The features are not the same.  So people reacted differently.  

What we basically have here is a case where people disagree with you.  You like a feature, and they didn't.  For some reason, you have used this to draw the conclusion that there is an implicit bias going on.  That is completely not justified.

sigh...... you have to try and first understand what the towers do in both games.

In zelda, the towers serve as a fast travel point, map revealer and it also marks out the names of popular/general areas in the map. Like towns/villages..etc.

In horizon, they do all that, but also give you information of the herd locations of  the non hostile resouce heavy machines in the area (a piece of information that is integral to how Horizon is played since the bulk of the game has you hunting said machines for resouces). 

I don't see how the differences in the two warrant one to be branded as a lot of other games before it and to lose points for that and then the other to never even be mentioned in most reviews. Mind you, horizon's towers were likened to games whos use of that mechanic didn't just reveal the map but list out all the subquest locations and collectables in that revealed area which basically turned everything into an errand run as opposed to one of exploration. Thats not what horizon ended up being at all.

This isn't even about which features i prefer.... like i prefer how horizon handles fast travelling, its a new take on how fast travelling is appraoched in open world games. yet you don't see me talking about that.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Bah, who cares about towers. They do nothing in the game, except as you said unlock basically the map for that region.
They are 100% optional. You dont' have to ever climb up any of them.

As are the towers in Horizon too..... see what i mean?

caffeinade said:
The towers in Zelda, are frankly beautiful; The way their light slices through the landscape is mesmerising.
They also make it easier for people to navigate when the UI is set to pro mode.

I have spent over 20 hours in Zelda and I have not even touched the story; I love this game.

The towers in horizon are graceful beautiful walking enviromental puzzles. You can seek out some high vantage point and look as far into the distance as you can to spot them majestically walking in the distance to know where they are. You can also turn off all the HUD or map prompts in any mode of the game you play. You see? Lets keep this about the actual fact that there are towes in both games.

shikamaru317 said:

Honestly, it was kind of silly for critics to complain about the Tallnecks in Horizon. There are only 5 Tallnecks in the game, whereas most Ubisoft games have at least 15 towers. Of course it does feel a little outdated, because even Ubisoft has dropped the map tower mechanic now after all of the complaints (Watch Dogs 2 and Far Cry Primal both lacked map towers). But it is possible to uncover the Horizon map without using the tallnecks if you want to, because a pretty decent sized radius around alloy is uncovered as she moves around the world. It's really a non-issue. 

Exactly my point, and whats really funny here is that the only games that have as many or more towers than you would find in BotW are the very games that Horizon was compared to and lost points for. yet hardly a mention was made of them in Zelda.... and both games came out within a month of eachother.

Adnd someone in this thread is suggesting that I am unjustifiably crying reviewer bias (or at least inconsistencies) when i point this out.

My reason for bringing this up was simple, yes towers are in both games. It was ridiculed in one and not evenmentioned in the other. They didnt praise it or knock, they just chose not to mention them at all. I find that strange. But I am even willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and at least be open to understand why that is.

Intrinsic said:
JWeinCom said:

Ok.  The features are not the same.  So people reacted differently.  

What we basically have here is a case where people disagree with you.  You like a feature, and they didn't.  For some reason, you have used this to draw the conclusion that there is an implicit bias going on.  That is completely not justified.

sigh...... you have to try and first understand what the towers do in both games.

In zelda, the towers serve as a fast travel point, map revealer and it also marks out the names of popular/general areas in the map. Like towns/villages..etc.

In horizon, they do all that, but also give you information of the herd locations of  the non hostile resouce heavy machines in the area (a piece of information that is integral to how Horizon is played since the bulk of the game has you hunting said machines for resouces). 

I don't see how the differences in the two warrant one to be branded as a lot of other games before it and to lose points for that and then the other to never even be mentioned in most reviews. Mind you, horizon's towers were likened to games whos use of that mechanic didn't just reveal the map but list out all the subquest locations and collectables in that revealed area which basically turned everything into an errand run as opposed to one of exploration. Thats not what horizon ended up being at all.

This isn't even about which features i prefer.... like i prefer how horizon handles fast travelling, its a new take on how fast travelling is appraoched in open world games. yet you don't see me talking about that.

You don't need to see how.  That's the reviewers opinion, and not necessarily the same reviewers.  You don't have to like it.  But you can't claim there's a conspiracy to favor Zelda.

The issue is that Horizon only have 5 and they are not so fun like the ones in Zelda while it has more. Instead of making a PS pro patch that only a small group of people can enjoy they should have made more fun towers imo =p

Around the Network
foodfather said:
Well, most nintendo gamers probably never got to play those games since they were too big for wii. Maybe that's why it got a free pass.

Guilty. I haven't played a Ubisoft game in a very long time so I'm not familiar with map towers...

It makes sense though: climb a tower and you get a map. I'm guessing that's what a map tower does.

Because it's Zelda bias.

Well it's simple, when you review most games you compare them to other games. When you review Zelda, you only compare it to older Zeldas and gush over how many new mechanics it has (borrowed from other games). It's obvious really.

My 8th gen collection

Intrinsic said:
irstupid said:
Bah, who cares about towers. They do nothing in the game, except as you said unlock basically the map for that region.
They are 100% optional. You dont' have to ever climb up any of them.

As are the towers in Horizon too..... see what i mean?

caffeinade said:
The towers in Zelda, are frankly beautiful; The way their light slices through the landscape is mesmerising.
They also make it easier for people to navigate when the UI is set to pro mode.

I have spent over 20 hours in Zelda and I have not even touched the story; I love this game.

The towers in horizon are graceful beautiful walking enviromental puzzles. You can seek out some high vantage point and look as far into the distance as you can to spot them majestically walking in the distance to know where they are. You can also turn off all the HUD or map prompts in any mode of the game you play. You see? Lets keep this about the actual fact that there are towes in both games.

Calm down, I did not mention Horizon.

ICStats said:

Well it's simple, when you review most games you compare them to other games. When you review Zelda, you only compare it to older Zeldas and gush over how many new mechanics it has (borrowed from other games). It's obvious really.

This is pretty much the truth.  It's all a matter of what perspective the reviewer wants to use.  

"This game borrows elements from other games instead of being original" versus "this game uses elements new to the series that breathe fresh life into the franchise."  Both sentences can easily be talking about the same elements, it's just how the writer wants to look at each situation.  

With new IP, I think critics are looking to be critical.  With certain established IP, I think critics are resisting being critical.