By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch : Docking may scratch your screen ! Go buy à Screen protector !

So I guess non of you have a 3DS?

I always use screen protectors on tablets and smartphones, most people do, the Switch is not different, and it would be even wiser to use one on the Switch because you will be gaming on it a lot.

Around the Network

Damn my screen protector will only bé shipped in 10 days

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

the problem seems to be that for some Switch Docks the front bit bends inwards, making it much harder to dock/undock the Switch without making contact

I have the cheaper Hori protective film on mine just because I put screen protectors on all my stuff.  went on beautifully and I'm sure like the others, won't have any issues staying where I put it.  Hori also makes a "premium" version.

LookI looked at a glass product option, but decided to stick with Hori because of past experience.

Personally, I think it's a case of people getting way too worked up over something that's a non issue.  anyone recall the interwebs exploding with people saying the Wii connect 24 would ruin the gpu by overheating while in standby mode?  it never happened.  so yeah, it's like that.

Kwaidd said:

Personally, I think it's a case of people getting way too worked up over something that's a non issue.  anyone recall the interwebs exploding with people saying the Wii connect 24 would ruin the gpu by overheating while in standby mode?  it never happened.  so yeah, it's like that.

Not sure because my Wii GPU gets artifacts/glitches that pop up on certain games (like in MH3 the pixels on the walls would glitter in some areas).  Sure it might have been because I played it a lot but never had a graphic card problem before with any Nintendo products (after the story starting popping up I immediately turned the option off, same goes with standby mode for Wii U which I used it for a little but turned it off).  The problem was the fan didn't run at all in standby mode which could lead to overheating.  Just ask Microsoft about heating problems and using lead free solder with no edge bond around chips to keep them in place.

Around the Network
Lafiel said:

the problem seems to be that for some Switch Docks the front bit bends inwards, making it much harder to dock/undock the Switch without making contact

Yeah, that would explain this issue for some people. A real design problem would be hard to miss on the docking part in all the internal testing. A production problem would easier to miss.

Thank god i got one with a straight front .

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

For f×ck sake Nintendo you couldn't make the inside of the dock from a soft material. It would have cost like $2 to do so or even better make it 1 cm wider and a small lock so the Switch doesn't really touch the sides while docked. Or just make sure it's straight, it would be awful if people scratch their screens because of this.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

hopefully by the time i buy the switch in 3 years they have this sorted out. and maybe a power bump Pro version. with new nvidia chip.

RolStoppable said:
LurkerJ said:

So I guess non of you have a 3DS?

I always use screen protectors on tablets and smartphones, most people do, the Switch is not different.

Ah yes, the 3DS was supposed to scratch its top screen. Then it turned out that it's just smudge that gets on the top screen when folding the device. Some quick cleaning and the "scratch" is gone.

Admittedly, the screen-scratching issue of the Switch dock is more serious, because folding a 3DS was doable for clumsy people. Switch doesn't make the procedure foolproof, so people who step on their controllers are also prone to mishandle the docking process. If Switch gets docked with proper and reasonable care, then the only contact is plastic on plastic while the screen is safe.

The point is that screens are expected to get scratched even under normal usage scenarios. Each time you shove your smartphone in your pocket you risk getting it strached by dirt or keys or whatever, It happens no matter what kind of material it's made of. 

A portable device with a 7 inch display could use a screen protector even if you're super careful with it. Not to mention, unscratched screens = better resale value.

potato_hamster said:
thismeintiel said:

Man, the Switch is looking like a mandatory $399-$449 if you want a game and all the things to fix issues with it.

They should have copied the PSP Go's dock.

that's a dock for the original vita, not the PSP Go.

I want it!