By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch : Docking may scratch your screen ! Go buy à Screen protector !

Faelco said:
Never said:

Nonsense. The screen is glass (so I've been lead to believe) I don't know what type but even if it was window glass plastic wont scratch it. You would need some incredibly hard plastic to scratch glass. Your car keys aren't hard enough to scratch normal window glass.

According to GAF the screen isn't glass but plastic. The source is the NintendoLife review: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/hardware_review_nintendo_switch_nintendos_most_important_console_yet

One thing which is worth noting is that the panel itself is plastic rather than super-tough glass like you'd find on an iPhone or iPad.

As such, it's very easy to scratch – our review unit picked up a mark within 24 hours despite being handled with utmost care –

so you'll almost certainly want to purchase some kind of carry case if you're looking to take it out of the house, and perhaps even

a screen protector.

Well shit.

Around the Network

Never buy a console at launch.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Never buy a console at launch.

Indeed...

Never said:

Nonsense. The screen is glass (so I've been lead to believe) I don't know what type but even if it was window glass plastic wont scratch it. You would need some incredibly hard plastic to scratch glass. Your car keys aren't hard enough to scratch normal window glass.

I work in phone repair I can 100% tell you that plastic can easily scratch a screen. I actually wondered about that with the switch when I first saw it

http://imgur.com/zNaJxfd

I can scratch an OEM iPhone 6 screen with a plastic spudger which isn't even very hard plastic. 

Around the Network

So apparently some user report that the heat from the system caused the screen protector to peel off.

If youre getting one, get the tempered glass one

btw dust could easily settle in the dock or on the screen and dust does contain hard materials like SiO2 - if these are rubbing the screen when the Switch is inserted/taken out then it can get scratched, even if it's screen has a hardened glass surface (which might not even be the case?)

From neogaf:

No dpad? Buy a Pro
Docking scratch it? buy a screen portector.
Grips doesn't charge it? Buy the charging grip.
26gb too little for 1 game? buy a bigger MicroSD card.

Lmao... but theres some truth to it.

m_csquare said:
So apparently some user report that the heat from the system caused the screen protector to peel off.

If youre getting one, get the tempered glass one

Hadnt even considered that... jeez.

Wait I thought of a solution... couldnt you just "pad" the insides of the dock with some cloth (along the walls of it)?

Probably works better than a screen protecter and just takes a old T-shirt you cut up and some glue.

JRPGfan said:

Wait I thought of a solution... couldnt you just "pad" the insides of the dock with some cloth (along the walls of it)?

Probably works better than a screen protecter and just takes a old T-shirt you cut up and some glue.

Yap, this is way better imo :) Good idea