By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch : Docking may scratch your screen ! Go buy à Screen protector !

Never said:

Nonsense. The screen is glass (so I've been lead to believe) I don't know what type but even if it was window glass plastic wont scratch it. You would need some incredibly hard plastic to scratch glass. Your car keys aren't hard enough to scratch normal window glass.

You rub plastic and glass together long enough, it will mark... And if you have a little bit of grit on the screen or dock? Ouch.

Captain_Yuri said:
Yea I didn't like it when DF said it had hard plastic on the inside. I was like wtf... They really should have put soft touch padding around it. I will be buying one soon after some reviews come in.

This was one of my concerns when Nintendo first teased the Dock, didn't like the idea of sliding something between two chunks of plastic.

JRPGfan said:

Would have been better if nintendo didnt choose to go with a cheap solution to the hardware, and use a plastic screen, instead of a glass one.

Maybe they do a revision of it soon, and half a year from now, the then sold versions will have glass instead.

The industry has already set a precedent as far as docks go anyway... None of them wedge a tablet/phone inside a plastic Taco. :/

Thankfully you aren't required to use the dock to use the machine.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
Never said:

Nonsense. The screen is glass (so I've been lead to believe) I don't know what type but even if it was window glass plastic wont scratch it. You would need some incredibly hard plastic to scratch glass. Your car keys aren't hard enough to scratch normal window glass.

I work in phone repair I can 100% tell you that plastic can easily scratch a screen. I actually wondered about that with the switch when I first saw it

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned the 3DS screen flaw (just saw someone mention it a few posts up).  It would eventually mark up the top screen on the left and right sides (not too noticable when the screen is on).  They put bumpers in there but apparently not enough for normal use.  My New 3DS XL is even showing signs of the marks.  You can rub them away at first (which I am still able to do with my New 3DS XL) but my original 3DS got so bad that rubbing it clean didn't work.  I suppose I could have tried some alcohol or water but too late now because it was given to a friend because his kid broke his 2DS and I felt bad for him.

Ka-pi96 said:
Normchacho said:
Never buy a console at launch.

Depends on the console. My launch PS4 is fine...

My PS Vita is still scratch free, and it took a few falls

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Bandorr said:
JRPGfan said:

From neogaf:

No dpad? Buy a Pro
Docking scratch it? buy a screen portector.
Grips doesn't charge it? Buy the charging grip.
26gb too little for 1 game? buy a bigger MicroSD card.

Lmao... but theres some truth to it.

Hadnt even considered that... jeez.

Want to use a headset or headphones while docked? Get a really, really long extension cord.

3 hours not good enough? Buy a battery pack.

Joycons don't work? Keep everything wireless 4 feet away. Apparently including your phone.. that you need for voice chat.

Beta tested in the future right now!

JRPGfan said:
Panama said:
We talking from notmal use? Or from use such as Cnet with the kickstand lel

from normal use.

You can get a screen protector for 10$ so its not a huge issue to fix but... it still kinda sucks nintendo didnt think of this and fix it before launch.

Man, the Switch is looking like a mandatory $399-$449 if you want a game and all the things to fix issues with it.

They should have copied the PSP Go's dock.

Around the Network

Jesus Christ! Pay 20$ for a screen protector... Oh wait, it has problems when in contact with heat? Joy cons uncomfortable for your hands? Buy a 80$ controller! I swear, only Nintendo can pull such a Nintendo...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

The dock is actually not a tight fit, it's actually quite loose, in order to scratch a screen you'd have to be extremely reckless or deliberate to scratch the screen in that manner.

Wyrdness said:
The dock is actually not a tight fit, it's actually quite loose, in order to scratch a screen you'd have to be extremely reckless or deliberate to scratch the screen in that manner.

Yeeep, I've been saying this for ages XD. The dock also has two tiny pieces of plastic in the dock to prevent that from hapoenning. One for each side. 

Dont worry guys. Nintendo will patch this sometime later.

Kekekekekekek

Never said:

The screen is plastic.