By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. March bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

hudsoniscool said:

Agree completely with everything you say here. Scorpio will give Xbox 2 wins for npd this year anything beyond that is unclear. I also doubt Xbox can take a npd without Scorpio. Maybe a month or 2 towards the holidays but that seams doubtful as well with all the well received exclusives Sony has.

'Doubtful' is about how I see it too. I certainly wouldn't want to go completely against it, but then again, will we ever know anyway? There IS an outside chance they will release the Scorpio sales (if they're good enough), although, if I think about it, if they don't, what does that tell us about the Scorpio? If it succeeds, MS will give us the Scorpio numbers, if it doesn't then they will likely give us the 'overall' number of the XB1 family sales ... If they do neither ... Oh boy.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
hudsoniscool said:
bananaking21 said:

Mass Effect games havent been huge sellers. the 3 games total sold 14 million units, and thats after having major discounts to the triology edition that costs 5$ for the 3 games total. thats an average of 4.3 million per game. while its certainly good, its not a mega block buster franchise, despite its pedigree in the gaming community.  for comparison, Uncharted 1/2/3 sold 21 million on PS3 alone, thats an average of 7 million per game, and that franchise is exclusive. 

While true that mass effect hasn't been a huge franchise it's not fair comparing it to a series that got around 5 million sales from bundles.

i think andromeda will sell around 5 million this year, 7-8 million lifetime. This is my global estimation by the way.

just looking at the charts it's doing very well but idk about being the best selling game in march. There's horizon, Zelda, and ghost recon to go up against. Ghost should be the hardest compitition for taking the month. Whoever wins I expect it will be close.

regardless if they were from bundles or not, it sold considerably more. my point was, while Mass Effect surely has a big name within the gaming community, its mass market success isnt as big. and Horizon, Ghost Recon or Zelda could beat it and that wouldnt be surprising one bit. 

I just can't see any way Scorpio changes things in a significant way after the first two months. MS's biggest problem is lack of meaningful exclusives, and even with extra power, I don't see why it would do much better than Pro has. I mean, Xbox might win more months for the rest of the gen, maybe even more than PS4, but it won't be by much and it won't change anything outside US. Maybe UK, but the gap is bigger here already

tagged

BraLoD said:
celador said:
I just can't see any way Scorpio changes things in a significant way after the first two months. MS's biggest problem is lack of meaningful exclusives, and even with extra power, I don't see why it would do much better than Pro has. I mean, Xbox might win more months for the rest of the gen, maybe even more than PS4, but it won't be by much and it won't change anything outside US. Maybe UK, but the gap is bigger here already

Well, things happen, if MS is working on buying a lot of exclusives and using that extra power to promote them, they could work out a good install base, if they keep a decent price point, that is, anything over $500 just won't work at all, $500 is already high for as it's stronger than the Pro, maybe they can get away with it, though matching the Pro price should be the best way to go (more power for the same money will get a good visibility).

Personally, if it's not really a new console, and will be a XBO Pro, it'll probably lack the means to get much from the PS4, as the install base is way higher and very attractive, if the games can run on the XBO, they can on the PS4, so I agree that getting meaningful exclusives will be hard.
If it's an entire new system, which I though it would be, but apparently it isn't, it can use the power gap between it and the base PS4 as the excuse to keep exclusivity, build games that would get too much compromissed on the PS4 hardware and so avoid it.

With the Pro, Sony has secured a good ground, it'll probably be able to match the Scorpio at a close level the same way the XBO does the PS4, so there won't be a huge gap and as games will still be running on the PS4 and XBO, probably even less, so if the Scorpio is a XBO Pro, it shouldn't change things much, indeed, while if it is a new system, scrapping the XBO so soon would be bad for the brand image and could get people away from it. And if the Scorpio does turn to be a big hit, the PS4 will still have a good base like the PS3 (worst case scenario, there is no way the XBO will top the PS4), Sony just have to wait a bit and drop the PS5 next year.

To me, if it was a proper new system, as in generational, it would have exclusives, which MS said it won't have. They might change that in a couple of years, but like you said, by then PS5 will release and be more powerful anyway.

As for Xbox exclusives launching around the system, I don't see them being able to buy anything truly significant. More stuff on the level of Dead Rising 4 will do absolutely nothing. And they certainly don't seem to be making anything themselves. They don't even have a Gears or Halo to help show off the Scorpio this year. And even with a power gap, absolutely no one is going to abandon the PS4 because the Scorpio has a lot more power, it is just too big of an install base to miss out on.

Just seems to me that MS is fixated on the power issue without realising that the problems run deeper than that right now. X1 has done pretty well overall, but I imagine that the 360 is pacing ahead in terms of launch aligned by now, and I just can't imagine X1 getting much over 50m. I think this will be it's peak year. 

Around the Network

11 hours since last update:

HARDWARE:
#14 PS4 UC4 (down 1)
#28 NiS Grey (up 2)
#51 NES (down 1)
#79 NiS Neon (down 7)
#87 XB1 Minecraft (down 5)

SOFTWARE**:
#07 NiS Mario Kart 8 Delux (same)
#11 PS4 FF XII Zodiac Age (same)
#16 PS4 MLB The Show 2017 (up 1)
#19 PS4 Persona 5 SBE (down 1)
#22 PS4 Kingdom Hearsts Remix (up 2)

Does not affect this month: *
Software outside of the month only gets added if it's in the top 20:**

PS4: 1 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1: 1 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NIS:  2 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5

The PS5 Exists. 

5 hours since last update:

HARDWARE:
#10 NiS Grey (up 18)
#15 PS4 UC4 (down 1)
#36 NES (up 15)
#78 NiS Neon (up 1)
#86 XB1 Minecraft (up 1)

SOFTWARE**:
#07 NiS Mario Kart 8 Delux (same)
#12 PS4 FF XII Zodiac Age (down 1)
#16 PS4 MLB The Show 2017 (same)
#18 PS4 Persona 5 SBE (up 1)
#25 PS4 Kingdom Hearsts Remix (down 3)

Does not affect this month: *
Software outside of the month only gets added if it's in the top 20:**

PS4: 1 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1: 1 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NIS:  2 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 1 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5

The PS5 Exists. 

The Switch stock is crazy is demand really THAT high that it keeps selling out? I expect some big sales for the system this month!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

TheBlackNaruto said:
The Switch stock is crazy is demand really THAT high that it keeps selling out? I expect some big sales for the system this month!

What's even more impressive is that even when the Switch is out of stock, the sales rate is high enough for the Switch to keep it close with the PS4 and stay ahead of the XB1.

Aura7541 said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

What's even more impressive is that even when the Switch is out of stock, the sales rate is high enough for the Switch to keep it close with the PS4 and stay ahead of the XB1.

Yeah that is crazy! And at the same time makes me wonder about the XB1 sales like what are they really looking like.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23