By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Players, Let's Make a No Guides Pledge/Group

As I'm sure many of you can recall, one of the things that made Zelda fun back in the 80's and 90's was the need to find and discover things without the aid of the internet and sharing both rumor and legit info with your friends about what had been found. What's become clear is that, with the variety of hidden places, puzzles, areas to explore, items, and recipes, there's more to discover than ever before.

With that in mind I propose here that, to best enjoy this new iteration that reviews are essentially declaring a masterpiece, all who are interested pledge here to avoid using any online guides and the like for this game. 

Essentially, the pledge would be this:
1. No guide book
2. No walkthroughs
3. No youtube demonstrations
4. No watching of twitch/streaming

With those in place, we can go into the game and try to discover things for ourself. If we find something neat, we could come back to this thread and (with proper spoilers in place) share fun things we've found (or even screenshots with the new Switch feature), and it would essentially recreate that word-of-mouth environment that we got to experience in the past which was, in my opinion, a great deal of the fun. Depending on how the new Nintendo online community works, we could perhaps share screenshots and the like there as well.

Is this something that anyone else would be interested in doing? I'll keep a list below of anyone interested in participating (and if interested we could add our Nintendo online accounts to it as well):

1. Johnw1104
2. Rolstoppable
3. Volterra_90
4. spurgeonryan
5. superchunk
6. forest-spirit
7. Platina
8. Mystro-Sama
9. VAMatt
10. mjk45
11. Moonhero
12. slab_of_bacon
13. FallingTitan
14. GoOnKid
15. DanneSandin
16. S.Peelman

With all of that in mind, let's make sure moving forward that game-related posts be properly spoiler free. I'm personally looking forward to writing my own cookbook based on all of the recipes I'm able to discover lol

Around the Network

Thats actually a great idea!But Im not participating, since I REFUSE to buy Zelda on the Wii U and well, the Switch is only comming later on the year for me.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Thats actually a great idea!But Im not participating, since I REFUSE to buy Zelda on the Wii U and well, the Switch is only comming later on the year for me.

Aw darn, why not for the Wii U? I've actually read that it runs every bit as well there, and it'd certainly be a great send-off for that console.

Alternatively, we could do the exact opposite and read every guid to squeeze every secret of the game right from the start!

Johnw1104 said:
Nautilus said:

Aw darn, why not for the Wii U? I've actually read that it runs every bit as well there, and it'd certainly be a great send-off for that console.

I just want the best experience possible for a game that can potentially become one of my most favorite games.Plus my gamepad battery by now is simply a joke, and I hate to keep recharging it every 100 minutes or so

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
Alternatively, we could do the exact opposite and read every guid to squeeze every secret of the game right from the start!

Haha if that's how you like to play then have at it!

Nautilus said:
Johnw1104 said:

I just want the best experience possible for a game that can potentially become one of my most favorite games.Plus my gamepad battery by now is simply a joke, and I hate to keep recharging it every 100 minutes or so

Ah yeah darn.

RolStoppable said:
Sure, let's make this the official Breath of the Wild discussion thread. We don't have such a thread yet and a lot of people are going to play the game. Hopefully I can get a Switch tomorrow.

I'll add you to the list! We're up to 2 haha :)

Why would it need guides, other then some puzzles.

I would join, since I've always wanted to do something like this anyways, but it's dawned upon me that I won't get very far without eventually looking up minute details on the internet, or accidentally stumbling upon interesting stuff on YouTube.

bet: lost