By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - BOLD Prediction: Zelda BotW will do a Whopping 10mil Lifetime! Update 10mil Achieved

Roar_Of_War said:
tbone51 said:

Yeap, most likely ship+digital. So sold through easily over 1.2mil maybe 1.3mil. I had it posted somewhere here before.

Actually those are sold through numbers for Wii U. Nintendo at first said BOTW on Switch was 6.7 million, and then turned around and said the Switch version sold 6 million, and that with the Wii U version combined the game sold 7.5 million. In context that means Nintendo is probably speaking in terms of sold through numbers for both versions with this figure, so 6 million Switch ver and 1.5 Wii U sold through.

So both those numbers must be sold through, for Switch and Wii U. Shipped + digital for BOTW is like at 8.2+ million, because the Switch version is at 6.7 million shipped as of December 31st. Who knows how much the Wii U version is shipped but we know it sold through 1.5 million.

I see. As a precaution just in case I'll say it's shipped, but if not really is sell thru then the game could be around 8.5mil by years end. Either way 10mil coming by end of June 

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Roar_Of_War said:

Actually those are sold through numbers for Wii U. Nintendo at first said BOTW on Switch was 6.7 million, and then turned around and said the Switch version sold 6 million, and that with the Wii U version combined the game sold 7.5 million. In context that means Nintendo is probably speaking in terms of sold through numbers for both versions with this figure, so 6 million Switch ver and 1.5 Wii U sold through.

So both those numbers must be sold through, for Switch and Wii U. Shipped + digital for BOTW is like at 8.2+ million, because the Switch version is at 6.7 million shipped as of December 31st. Who knows how much the Wii U version is shipped but we know it sold through 1.5 million.

I see. As a precaution just in case I'll say it's shipped, but if not really is sell thru then the game could be around 8.5mil by years end. Either way 10mil coming by end of June 

Fair enough, and here’s the link for the 6.7 million figure (and it says as of December 31st)

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/

Podings said:
The game still has a sturdy attach rate per system sold.

10 million is NOT a bold priediction for lifetime. 15 would be bold.

I'll be happy if it reaches 1 million sales.
Anything that high is phenomenal.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Such a great prediction. This game deserves that and more. Right now I'm getting my ass handed in Master Mode!

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Wyrdness said:

Outside the gaming world things become even more lopsided in Zelda's favour I think you're mistaking you knowing about some of these series as their perceived standing most people outside of gaming don't get references like Finish Him and so on if you walked up to anyone who didn't game and mentioned Mortal Kombat they'd be puzzled. People don't need to know about Hyrule or Zelda lore all they need to do is recognise the franchise which many do and far more recognised Zelda than MK.

The point is, terms like "finish him" are a part of pop culture (at least in the states), while there aren't any catch phrases from Zelda the general public necessarily recognize. Then again we're from different parts of the world, so this entire debate is more than likely moot without conducting a poll of people who don't necessarily play video games. Everything else brought up thus far has been purely anecdotal. 

As with most people when they make assumptions about somethings popularity over another is they ignore half of the population of the world.

You will be very hard pressed to find a female that would understand the pop culture reference as you call it "finish him" or others in a very much male genre game. So while many, not as many as you think, males might know this reference, that is only half the population.

I can guarantee you that neither of my sisters would have a clue what I was referencing if I go "finish him". They would look at me all weird, like why did you say finish him in this weird voice. I show them a picture of Link and they would probably recognize it.

Around the Network

all but confirmed at this point given the legs this game has and the end of the gen is still a long way to go. great prediction OP

Congrats! Once again!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

It says the 6.7m figure for Switch includes the digital sales, so maybe 6m is physical and it sold 0.7m in digital? Seems awfully small though.

Medisti said:
It says the 6.7m figure for Switch includes the digital sales, so maybe 6m is physical and it sold 0.7m in digital? Seems awfully small though.

6mil is sold with digital. 700k on store shelves. Add wiiu is 1.5mil. that not low considering install base and BotW is almost the best selling Zelda in less than a year with the best legs of any Zelda thusnfar!

tbone51 said:
Medisti said:

6mil is sold with digital. 700k on store shelves. Add wiiu is 1.5mil. that not low considering install base and BotW is almost the best selling Zelda in less than a year with the best legs of any Zelda thusnfar!

No, no, I meant low for digital. Who in their right mind would call 7.5m units low? Tens of thousands of commercial games have released and only about a hundred or so have reached those numbers.