By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Post your impressions on Horizon: Zero Dawn *no spoilers*

Tagged games:

pitzy272 said:
SvennoJ said:

Sell it after, you can copy PT over with system transfer.

Second impressions:

The world is awesome to explore, a bit too awesome, as I'm still only level 6, picked up a lvl 25 quest. (Don't forget to go back to the ruins from the prologue) I got sidetracked climbing the mountains. While platforming is on autopilot you can free climb by jumping if you carefully pick your way, sprint jump, hop, all the way to the top. Unfortunately the game anticipated that and throws up invisible barriers around key places, as well as threatening to reload the last save if you continue over the mountain, which it made good on. Still cool to stand on top with a full 360 view :) I guess the reload will go away once I get past the proving whatever.

Can't wait to play more tonight.

So it will definitely work with the system transfer? Even tho PT is no longer available on PSN? I guess it's not like changing Apple phones then, where all ur apps have to be re-downloaded from the App Store?

If you're lazy like me, just connect the ps4 and ps4 pro with a standard lan cable and follow the onscreen prompts for system transfer. It will copy your entire ps4 onto the pro (wiping the pro, do it first thing) except for profile data of non psn accounts. (So every profile that has a free or ps+ account also gets copied with all their save games) It can take a few hours, yet all hands off. Then you can wipe what you don't need on either.

I kept both so did a full transfer, deleted the psvr and m-rated games from the base model, and deleted the games my kids play from the pro. Lots of space again.

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:
Hynad said:

I've seen the game run on both. And if you play in 4k on the Pro, the picture is freaking clean. Depending on the distance you sit from your TV, the regular PS4 graphics have some graininess to them that's completley absent with the Pro's 4K mode. The few pre-rendered videos in the game are also rendered in full 4K (not upscaled), so they look really crisp and gorgeous. 

Sounds like it's a very noticeable difference. Great to know. Thanks!

I'm playing on a 1080p projector with the pro so it's downscaling from 4k. I have it set to prioritize resolution, haven't noticed any frame rate dips yet and it is by far the cleanest looking title I have played. Finally making full use out of my projector, not a jaggy in sight. Supersampling works.

SvennoJ said:
pitzy272 said:

Sounds like it's a very noticeable difference. Great to know. Thanks!

I'm playing on a 1080p projector with the pro so it's downscaling from 4k. I have it set to prioritize resolution, haven't noticed any frame rate dips yet and it is by far the cleanest looking title I have played. Finally making full use out of my projector, not a jaggy in sight. Supersampling works.

That's basically their wizardry at work... There's virtually no performance difference between all versions of the game. It's truly an amazing achievement from GG once again. In fact, I'd say that it's their biggest achievement so far. Uncharted 4 level visuals in an open world game of that scale? That's one heck of a feat on current gen hardware. 

I love this game. It's my new number 1 on my list of favorites.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
JGarret said:
Are sidequests of the 'fetch quest' variety that often plague open world games?

I know Witcher 3 spoiled me when it comes to that, and not expecting Horizon (or any other open world game for that matter) to touch that level, but at least something a bit above the generic quests that are so common?...what´s your take?

played 3 side quests so far. they have their own little stories, sometimes you can even make a small choice in them. they arent witcher 3 level side quests, but they are better side quests then skyrim or Farcry for example. 

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
JGarret said:

I know Witcher 3 spoiled me when it comes to that, and not expecting Horizon (or any other open world game for that matter) to touch that level, but at least something a bit above the generic quests that are so common?...what´s your take?

played 3 side quests so far. they have their own little stories, sometimes you can even make a small choice in them. they arent witcher 3 level side quests, but they are better side quests then skyrim or Farcry for example. 

Could you explain what is a Witcher 3 level side quest?

im loving it so far. really really great.

Pro's

- Fantastic story, really its gripping, its intense, its interesting with lots of lore and with unpredictable events.

- Great characters, with the best one being Aloy obviously, i am loving her so far. there are really interesting characters and they all have their own distinct personality

- fantastic voice acting, GG did a great job with this, pretty much all characters have a great voice acting and are done really well. sadly the facial animations dont do them justic

- fantastic animations (not facial). the game is just fluid, and the gameplay just feels right. largely due to the animations.

- EPIC GAMEPLAY. one of the best playing open world games to date, seriously the game is just epic to play, challenging and difficult. encounters are defrent based on the type of machine you fight, and you gotta be smart. stealth, dodging, aiming, sliding, shooting and setting up tracks are all extremely well made. melee is good, but not the best, but its not an issue since it isnt the focus of the game, its about the bow and long range combat.

- Fantastic graphics, they speak for them selfs really.

- skills add more depth to the gameplay as you go along, the gameplay gets deeper and deeper.

- pretty good modification system and customization system. you can change your outfit for different stats, add mods to them. there are different types of each weapon with its own perks and such, and you can add mods to them too. potions are there, they arent too complicated or advanced like in the witcher 3, but this game doesnt keep you in menu's much, which is what it was trying to do.

- create job option. if you need components to upgrade something like your pouch or something, you can press "create job", and this activates a quests where its directs you to a place where you can go and find the components needed to for that upgrade

- great lore. there is so much to understand about this world and its characters, why its like this and why the tribes act like they do. overall its very interesting and i cant wait to learn more

Cons

- save system. im not very fond of the save system, its kind of old school, i prefer a save system like TW3 where you can save anywhere outside of combat.

- Facial animations. at times they are good, at times they are ok, at times they are bad. overall id say they are TW3 level or a bit worse. not a huge deal for an open world RPG though, as it fits within the same standards as others, or even better.

- while the platforming system is good, and adds a lot to exploration, it isnt as precise as Uncharted for example. also i would have preferred if ledges were highlighted with different colors more. its easy to miss them at times.

Hynad said:
bananaking21 said:

Could you explain what is a Witcher 3 level side quest?

the scale of side quests in the witcher 3 vary a lot. some are small and quick, some are great stories with really interesting characters and outcomes for them. The best witcher 3 sidequests highlight the importance of characters and their effect on the story, lore and their own personal outcome. Geralt isnt alone in this world, and his actions alone dont just matter. what happens with other characters can effect him, either negativly or positivly. what happens with other characters is important to the world of the witcher, and side quests play a huge role in shaping that world. 

The bloody baron side quests continues the story of a character you meet, you can chose to continue to see what happens with him or not. but i dont know anyone who played TW3 who didnt continue his story, as its extremely interesting and you are personally invested in the outcome due to previous interactions with him in the main quests. in fact your decisions in some of the main quests drastically affect his story, even though the decisions you make at the time arent connected to him what so ever. 

side quests play a role in the endings of the TW3. they play a role on who dies and who lives, who wins wars and who is defeated. side quests help shape up the world and what happens in it. that is TW3 level of sidequests. 

bananaking21 said:
JGarret said:

Thanks for the answer.Having their own little stories is already above the "go get this, come back and that´s it" quest variety (like the lame FFXV sidequests)

Hope those 3 sidequests are the norm and not the exception.

JGarret said:
bananaking21 said:

Thanks for the answer.Having their own little stories is already above the "go get this, come back and that´s it" quest variety (like the lame FFXV sidequests)

Hope those 3 sidequests are the norm and not the exception.

yeah i hope so too. i hope they get better with time as well. those 3 are the first 3 i found in the first area, so i wouldnt mind more in depth side missions as i go.