By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Post your impressions on Horizon: Zero Dawn *no spoilers*

Tagged games:

Easily the best Western RPG created and best RPG since Final Fantasy 7. This game is a landark in gaming history.

Around the Network
onionberry said:

good

cool gameplay
story interesting so far
amazing graphics
great optimization

bad 

Enemies are different, yet I feel a generic vibe when I see them
I don't love any character
ugly faces :P

The bold is a contradiction. Interesting story but don't care about the characters? How can the story be cool if the characters don't grab you since the characters make the story? Ugly faces? It has the best face designs in the genre. All Zelda enemies are generic, which also make that a strange con. Just saying. Most enemies in games are generic outside of bosses anyway as the enemy types are rehashed.

SWORDF1SH said:
Cons
Child Aloy, and a few other children, look like they have down's syndrome. Strange problem that makes some of the children models look weird. Adult models seem fine though.

Yeah the kids do look special lol.

SWORDF1SH said:
Cons
Child Aloy, and a few other children, look like they have down's syndrome. Strange problem that makes some of the children models look weird. Adult models seem fine though.

Ha, it's not just this game. I feel like pretty much every game the children always look off somehow. Unless they go with some stylized art style like Wind Waker or something.

Otherwise Skyrimk, Horizon, you name it. Annytime there is some kid, its just weird/freaky looking.

CraigMack said:
onionberry said:

good

cool gameplay
story interesting so far
amazing graphics
great optimization

bad 

Enemies are different, yet I feel a generic vibe when I see them
I don't love any character
ugly faces :P

The bold is a contradiction. Interesting story but don't care about the characters? How can the story be cool if the characters don't grab you since the characters make the story? Ugly faces? It has the best face designs in the genre. All Zelda enemies are generic, which also make that a strange con. Just saying. Most enemies in games are generic outside of bosses anyway as the enemy types are rehashed.

so now I have to explain what I think, just like I love the characters on watch dogs 2 but the story is not interesting, the story of this game seems interesting so far but the characters are bland as fuck. Everyone is ugly as fuck (but I was not too serious about that) and the enemies are different but generic. This is unbelievable that I can't even have an opinion on this website without some dude trying to talk shit about "zelda this, Nintendo that" when this thread has nothing to do with that and my "pros" about the game are more than my "cons", grow up kid, not everything is a console war.

Around the Network

Are sidequests of the 'fetch quest' variety that often plague open world games?

I know Witcher 3 spoiled me when it comes to that, and not expecting Horizon (or any other open world game for that matter) to touch that level, but at least something a bit above the generic quests that are so common?...what´s your take?

I've only played about 2 and a half hours so far, but the game so far is everything I've been hoping it would be since its original reveal. The combat is excellent, the graphics are ludicrously detailed, and the story is quite a bit more interesting than I expected it to be. Aloy (to me) is a great character, and the robots are smart and extremely fun to battle. 

Are there negatives? Sure, every game has negatives. As others have said, the facial animations, as with Until Dawn (the last game to use the Decima engine) can either be excellent or a bit strange looking. There's no way I've found to switch shoulders while aiming (though this may just be me not being able to find the option) and humans, so far, have been much less fun to fight than the robot dinos. The positives, however, far outweigh these annoyances and I would highly recommend the game. 

shikamaru317 said:
My impressions of Horizon so far:

Positive
-Enjoying the main story so far. Can't wait to find out who Aloy's mother was and why Rost was made a lifetime outcast. I also can't wait to find out more about the downfall of civilization.

-The one side quest I've done was pretty well done, didn't just feel like a generic fetch quest.

-The graphics are great, it probably has the best console graphics of any game so far.

-Love the soundtrack, might just be a soundtrack of the year contender for me.

-The combat is fun so far.

Negative
-I dislike the old school save design, you can only save at campfires.

-The hit detection for the bow seems a little off, I've missed quite a few headshots that seem like they should have hit.

-I don't like that fast traveling isn't free, you have to use crafting resources to make fast travel kits.

The game actually auto saves at multiple points in between so it's not too bad 

Ariakon said:

I've only played about 2 and a half hours so far, but the game so far is everything I've been hoping it would be since its original reveal. The combat is excellent, the graphics are ludicrously detailed, and the story is quite a bit more interesting than I expected it to be. Aloy (to me) is a great character, and the robots are smart and extremely fun to battle. 

Are there negatives? Sure, every game has negatives. As others have said, the facial animations, as with Until Dawn (the last game to use the Decima engine) can either be excellent or a bit strange looking. There's no way I've found to switch shoulders while aiming (though this may just be me not being able to find the option) and humans, so far, have been much less fun to fight than the robot dinos. The positives, however, far outweigh these annoyances and I would highly recommend the game. 

exactly, the negatives are not that bad, if you compare this game with the first game of other franchises Horizon is a great achievement, the core game is high quality stuff.

onionberry said:
Ariakon said:

exactly, the negatives are not that bad, if you compare this game with the first game of other franchises Horizon is a great achievement, the core game is high quality stuff.

Why should it matter if it's the first game or not? I'm not going to cut Nintendo any slack in Zelda for things I want in an open world game. I'm not going to give it a pass for something that is common place or makes open world games better being missing.

Nintendo and Guerilla Games had a multitude of Open world games to look at, play, test, read what people like/hate, ect to implement them into their games. Nintendo has came out and said they played and looked at the open world games out there to help, adn I'm assuming GG people have too. Thus they should be implementing current open world game stuff and thus not be compared to Assassins Creed 1 or Morrowind or something.

They should be compared to current games. Whether its their first open world outing or not.