By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zelda WiiU : " An Incredible advertising for Switch version " , reports of serious framerate problems among other things

Nuvendil said:
Hynad said:

As far as I know, there's a 3GB install from the disc itself that's mandatory even if you play from the disc. This is to make the game run better. But there could still be a downloadable day-one patch to fix those performance issues. Probably unlikely though, knowing Nintendo.

Well, I'll be playing this version of the game in two days, so I'll post my comments about all this once that happen.

Yeah, Breath of the Wild is supposed to use a similar solution to Xenoblade Chronicles X, which could help a good bit. 

Is not similar to XCX really, Zelda installs those 3 GB from the disc I believe, and you just cannot play it before the game install it.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
onionberry said:
funny I was watching a stream of the wii u version and looks playable

"Playable" is different for each.  Another review did make a point of saying the Wii U version *was* inferior but still playable. 

But playable or not, yes, the fact that the Switch even in handheld mode outperforms the Wii U version is a very good look for the Switch. 

But that's no different than the numerous performance issues in The Last of Us on PS3 ultimately proved very good for the PS4 version of the game as it was very often pointed out how big of a jump it was from one version of an amazing game to another version of an amazing game.  This isn't news for a crossgen game :P

Eh, I got both versions of TLoU, I'm not sure what these performance issues were but I don't think i experienced any, aside from some bad texture poppings here and there. TLoUR was not that big a jump, in my opinion, but it's clear that TLoUR and BotW on the Switch is the way to go if you got the money for their respective consoles.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

sc94597 said:
Hynad said:

How did you access the day one patch? Did Nintendo made it available already for anyone breaking the date? Or are you confusing this with the mandatory install that comes from the disc itself?

The game requires a base installation and a game update to play (~10 GB base game and ~3 GB update.) I misread your post as interpreting this as a day one patch, rather than wondering if there would be a day one patch.

The base installation is of 3GB, and it installs automitcally after you put the disc, so an Internet connection isn't required.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Areym said:
Nuvendil said:

"Playable" is different for each.  Another review did make a point of saying the Wii U version *was* inferior but still playable. 

But playable or not, yes, the fact that the Switch even in handheld mode outperforms the Wii U version is a very good look for the Switch. 

But that's no different than the numerous performance issues in The Last of Us on PS3 ultimately proved very good for the PS4 version of the game as it was very often pointed out how big of a jump it was from one version of an amazing game to another version of an amazing game.  This isn't news for a crossgen game :P

Eh, I got both versions of TLoU, I'm not sure what these performance issues were but I don't think i experienced any, aside from some bad texture poppings here and there. TLoUR was not that big a jump, in my opinion, but it's clear that TLoUR and BotW on the Switch is the way to go if you got the money for their respective consoles.

I mean, I have played TLoU for hours with friends on Ps3 (never completed though because I don't own it) and I didn't feel like the framerate was a big problem or that it made the game unplayable in any conceivable way, however it does have drops, in fact, it drops in a similar way than BoTW on WiiU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-KDfab0c7Q

Now that I've seen that framerate issues really aren't that bad, how do the graphics compare to the Switch version?

Around the Network
Areym said:
Nuvendil said:

Well TLoU gets away with it fairly easily for the same reason almost no one complains that Zelda has been a 30fps franchise for ages:  the gameplay pace is such that the lower framerate and even dips does not hurt playability all that much.  That's not a knock on either, if anything recognizing the limitations of the framerate you are targetting and potential issues and designing the game so that it isn't hurt by those is good and thoughtful design.  Just saying, neither is a CoD twitch shooter where a high framerate is required for responsive gameplay.

Boutros said:
Now that I've seen that framerate issues really aren't that bad, how do the graphics compare to the Switch version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se-NEt1rxBc&t=126s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WKedAjitl0&feature=youtu.be

Pretty similar, I'm sure DF will find a lot of differences but at first glance...

Goodnightmoon said:
Boutros said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se-NEt1rxBc&t=126s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WKedAjitl0&feature=youtu.be

Pretty similar, I'm sure DF will find a lot of differences but at first glance...

Well that looks fine enough for me. Thanks!