By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zelda WiiU : " An Incredible advertising for Switch version " , reports of serious framerate problems among other things

Goodnightmoon said:
Aerys said:

Make à vidéo of that please.

When vidéos and reviews( especially from Digital Foundry analysis, concret data, better than just our eyes) from WiiU version will bé released ill bump this thread so WE will know if GK are thé " evil liars haters over exagerrating " that some people believe they are 

Do they believe that about them though? They weren't the ones going around saying how catastrophic was, and people is questioning the fact that on all the footage we have the game runs fine, not perfect, but far from what you want us to think and far from a dealbreaker, so it sounds exagerated yes.

Well they do say its severe drops and that thé framerate is dead ( which obviously doesnt mean 0fps if you take that literally) using physic powers. So yes, they dont use words liké that for nothing in général

Lets wait for Digital Foundry then as i Said since they dont Provide opinions but facts about framerate

Its not exagérated at all if its often around 20fps, or éven under, with physical interaction ( since physic powers mean a lot on this game ) or even in towns according to the post above

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network

Having poured MANY hours into the PS3 version of Skyrim, I have serious doubts that it is anywhere near as bad as THAT game can get at times. And I still played the hell out of that game. So knowing it probably WILL be better than that, I'll be fine. I'm not HAPPY with ANY framerate issues, or less draw distance, whatever. But I'm also not planning to get a Switch anytime soon, and want to play Zelda.

To me, they should have kept the Wii U version as the LEAD version of this game, development wise, and treated it accordingly. I guarantee you they could have gotten it smoother than it is. But this is what happens when you divert your resources, and put MOST of your (obvious) focus on the Switch PORT of the game, instead.

Hynad said:
sc94597 said:

When you go to Kakariko or any other village/horse stable/dense forest, or if it is storming it drops to sub-20 fps -- basically a fast slide-show. In less intensive gameplay there are frequent drops to the low 20's.

I am going to opt for the switch version. I want to experience this game in its best version.

Source?

I would like to see actual video proof of what you've claimed so far. 

And do we know if there will be any day-one patch to address these issues? Because these kinds of issues are very "un-Nintendo" if I may. We're used to them making very good performing games when it comes to framerate, so if this is released as such without any fix, even if not a deal breaker to me, I'll be disappointed in them.

I downloaded the pirated version and tested it out after reading comments about the performance, so that I could plan to get a switch or not this weekend, rather than wait for the embargo to end. I was optimistic about the performance when playing on the plateau (drops to the low 20's when fighting multiple enemies, but otherwise consistent), but once you get to the rest of the world there are more weather effects, a ton more enemies, and the towns, stables, and dense forests can really affect the framerate for longer periods of time. Anything that is physics/AI intensive seems to drastically affect the framerate. Fortunately the towns are a very small part of the world, and otherwise it is playable , but only in the literal sense like OoT and MM were "playable".

Here's a video showing the normal frame-rate on the plateau (which is sparser than other portions of the game.) The towns are worse than this. There is a drop to 20fps at 1:12 and 1:15 which is normal when there are three or four enemies.

The day-one patch is required to run the leaked version, so there would have to be a different patch which fixes these problems. It definitely seems like the Wii U version was given low priority here.

DevilRising said:
Having poured MANY hours into the PS3 version of Skyrim, I have serious doubts that it is anywhere near as bad as THAT game can get at times. And I still played the hell out of that game. So knowing it probably WILL be better than that, I'll be fine. I'm not HAPPY with ANY framerate issues, or less draw distance, whatever. But I'm also not planning to get a Switch anytime soon, and want to play Zelda.

To me, they should have kept the Wii U version as the LEAD version of this game, development wise, and treated it accordingly. I guarantee you they could have gotten it smoother than it is. But this is what happens when you divert your resources, and put MOST of your (obvious) focus on the Switch PORT of the game, instead.

Obviously, they didnt give too many attention to WiiU version to highlight Switch version ( and it sucks they downgraded gamepad use , it was supposed to bé used liké people thought to show thé map and everything at any Time but they removed that... Glad ill buy it on Switch but It sucks for people who waited it for years as thé main Big WiiU game) 

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

So, first off, the video wasn't as bad as the headline lead to me to believe/expect. Also, I've heard that Zelda suffers performance problems on Switch, particularly in TV mode. All that said, I can say that I've played a few hours of the finished/retail build of the game on Wii U. During that time, there have been some dips (attacking with an axe seemed to often trigger a hiccup, and some of those hiccups can be pretty bad) but it did not affect my gameplay much - the game is incredible!  My interest in the game has waned just as my interest in the Switch has (and because there are some other great games releasing in the same window as it), but finally getting to play it on the Wii U, where I will in fact be playing it for the foreseeable future, I was delighted by the game. I not only have no concerns about playing it on the lowly Wii U, I can't wait to sink more time into it on the Wii U.    

Around the Network
Aerys said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Do they believe that about them though? They weren't the ones going around saying how catastrophic was, and people is questioning the fact that on all the footage we have the game runs fine, not perfect, but far from what you want us to think and far from a dealbreaker, so it sounds exagerated yes.

Well they do say its severe drops and that thé framerate is dead ( which obviously doesnt mean 0fps if you take that literally) using physic powers. So yes, they dont use words liké that for nothing in général

Lets wait for Digital Foundry then as i Said since they dont Provide opinions but facts about framerate

Its not exagérated at all if its often around 20fps, or éven under, with physical interaction ( since physic powers mean a lot on this game )

As I said before Digital Foundry already analized the old build of the game and said that the performance while lacking stability it still fares well compared to most open world games in similar hardware 

I don't doubt the game can have heavy framedrops is some circunstances, I feel its a miracle WiiU can be running it to be honest, but to blow that out of proportion as you do with every single Nintendo related thing, feels annoying at the end.

I'm probably getting the game in the next 24 hours so anyways, then I will see exactly how big are those problems.

sc94597 said:
Hynad said:

Source?

I would like to see actual video proof of what you've claimed so far. 

And do we know if there will be any day-one patch to address these issues? Because these kinds of issues are very "un-Nintendo" if I may. We're used to them making very good performing games when it comes to framerate, so if this is released as such without any fix, even if not a deal breaker to me, I'll be disappointed in them.

I downloaded the pirated version and tested it out after reading comments about the performance, so that I could plan to get a switch or not this weekend, rather than wait for the embargo to end. I was optimistic about the performance when playing on the plateau (drops to the low 20's when fighting multiple enemies, but otherwise consistent), but once you get to the rest of the world there are more weather effects, a ton more enemies, and the towns, stables, and dense forests can really affect the framerate for longer periods of time. Anything that is physics/AI intensive seems to drastically affect the framerate. Fortunately the towns are a very small part of the world, and otherwise it is playable , but only in the literal sense like OoT and MM were "playable".

Here's a video showing the normal frame-rate on the plateau (which is sparser than other portions of the game.) The towns are worse than this. There is a drop to 20fps at 1:12 and 1:15 which is normal when there are three or four enemies.

The day-one patch is required to run the leaked version, so there would have to be a different patch which fixes these problems. It definitely seems like the Wii U version was given low priority here.

How did you access the day one patch? Did Nintendo made it available already for anyone breaking the date? Or are you confusing this with the mandatory install that comes from the disc itself?

Hynad said:
sc94597 said:

How did you access the day one patch? Did Nintendo made it available already for anyone breaking the date? Or are you confusing this with the mandatory install that comes from the disc itself?

The game requires a base installation and a game update to play (~10 GB base game and ~3 GB update.) I misread your post as interpreting this as a day one patch, rather than wondering if there would be a day one patch.

sc94597 said:
Hynad said:

The game requires a base installation and a game update to play (~10 GB base game and ~3 GB update.) I misread your post as interpreting this as a day one patch, rather than wondering if there would be a day one patch.

As far as I know, there's a 3GB install from the disc itself that's mandatory even if you play from the disc. This is to make the game run better. But there could still be a downloadable day-one patch to fix those performance issues. Probably unlikely though, knowing Nintendo.

Well, I'll be playing this version of the game in two days, so I'll post my comments about all this once that happen.

Hynad said:
sc94597 said:

As far as I know, there's a 3GB install from the disc itself that's mandatory even if you play from the disc. This is to make the game run better. But there could still be a downloadable day-one patch to fix those performance issues. Probably unlikely though, knowing Nintendo.

Well, I'll be playing this version of the game in two days, so I'll post my comments about all this once that happen.

Yeah, Breath of the Wild is supposed to use a similar solution to Xenoblade Chronicles X, which could help a good bit.