By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming shouldn't go over 4K. Once we fully achieve 4K we should focus on framerate!

Do you agree?

I agree 74 73.27%

I disagree 22 21.78%

Nice face. 5 4.95%

Total:101

If resolutions stay at 4k they'll just increase polygons and effects and it'll still be 30fps. Why? Because people still buy 30fps games, no one in the general public cares. Also it's more marketable if the graphics are pushed as far as possible.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

We should be focusing on framerate now. 30fps is barely playable.

superchunk said:
Nintation360 said:

Well if you said this before the Pro came out I would've totally agreed with you! but 4K is already out and why would we downgrade for 1080p? It doesn't make sense in my opinion. Games were perfectly fine at 1080p but nope, we just HAD to go unto 4K         

Just because pro exists, doesn't mean 4K is mandatory. Game devs can still focus on what I mentioned with PS4Pro or Scorpio power levels without 4K.

Let game devs focus on what they want.  It is far easier to push graphics than it is to come up with new ideas or good new variations on old ideas.  How many iterations of shooters did we get until Destiny and Splatoon?  Answer: tons.  Yearly CODs need to exist for companies like EA to make even relatively sure new IP like Destiny.

Does stoping at 1080p guarantee that devs are going to be able to make good games?  Probably not.

Are the costs of making assets going to come down much just because devs stop pushing graphics?  Not by nearly enough.

"Then you can ditch crazy installs, ditch bloated games, lower risk, lower costs, improve enjoyments, lower need for patches and launch defects, etc, etc."

Take a look at what you typed.  Installs are not going away. Bloat as you call it, not going away.  You want developers to take less risks? Meaning not make new IP?  Improve enjoyments?  How about let devs make the games they want to make.  Your enjoyments are subjective anyway.  What you might like, I might not.  Lower need to patches, lower launch defects?  Costs money.  Higher risk.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Agreed.

4k @60fps should be the priority.

Then 4k @120fps the gen after.

Then 8k @120fps or 60fps.

KLXVER said:
pray4mojo said:
Having been a child of the 80's and experiencing gaming when it was hitting on all cylinders CREATIVELY, I have the opinion that we should halt any and all effort to improve things like resolution bumps and frame rates etc. The industry is a shadow of it's former self when it comes to brand new, creative, industry changing games.

That would be my priority going forward if I had a say.

Nostalgia is blinding you here I think. People always say things were better in the old days. I love retro games, but there are still lots of new creative games being made today. There were games that ran like shit in the 80s as well. You remember the great games. Not the many games that were bad. Thats what nostalgia does.

The 80's and 90's invented the vast majorty of every genre you play today. Since that time, it's all been refinment and improving what's already been done. 

Around the Network
pray4mojo said:
KLXVER said:

Nostalgia is blinding you here I think. People always say things were better in the old days. I love retro games, but there are still lots of new creative games being made today. There were games that ran like shit in the 80s as well. You remember the great games. Not the many games that were bad. Thats what nostalgia does.

The 80's and 90's invented the vast majorty of every genre you play today. Since that time, it's all been refinment and improving what's already been done. 

Well you cant really compare that to today. What genres are there left to invent? I mean can you come up with one that hasnt been done?

KLXVER said:
pray4mojo said:

Well you cant really compare that to today. What genres are there left to invent? I mean can you come up with one that hasnt been done?

That's not my point. My point was that back then, it was fucking exciting as hell having all these brand new, legendary franchises and genre's being invented and conceived left and right. The whole idea back then was creating something brand new. That was the primary focus. You wanted to be the "first guy on the block" so to speak. There was a sense of limitless creativity. Hardware was just a tool to enable said creativity. When Sega ushered in the 16-bit wars, and bits became a selling point, it was still all about... ok... you've got these 16-bits but what are you going to do with them. Remember Game Gear? It got it's ass handed to it by Gameboy even though Gameboy was freakin' stone aged tech wise. 

We need to be focusing on creativity again and forget this bullshit about framerates and resolutions. I mean, sure... we have to advance tech wise but if all we're focusing on is making COD 200 "now with more realistic bullets"... we're going in the wrong direction.

pray4mojo said:
KLXVER said:

That's not my point. My point was that back then, it was fucking exciting as hell having all these brand new, legendary franchises and genre's being invented and conceived left and right. The whole idea back then was creating something brand new. That was the primary focus. You wanted to be the "first guy on the block" so to speak. There was a sense of limitless creativity. Hardware was just a tool to enable said creativity. When Sega ushered in the 16-bit wars, and bits became a selling point, it was still all about... ok... you've got these 16-bits but what are you going to do with them. Remember Game Gear? It got it's ass handed to it by Gameboy even though Gameboy was freakin' stone aged tech wise. 

We need to be focusing on creativity again and forget this bullshit about framerates and resolutions. I mean, sure... we have to advance tech wise but if all we're focusing on is making COD 200 "now with more realistic bullets"... we're going in the wrong direction.

There wasnt a focus on creating something new. A few did and everyone else copied them. I agree that developers shouldnt focus on higher resolution and framerates over creativity, but games like COD sells millions, so should Activision just stop making them and focus on inventing new genres instead? Im not really sure what you want tbh. We cant go back in time, so do you want more games like LittleBigPlanet that did something new or like VR?

No. Developers shouldn't even dare to increase the resolution before they fixed their fucking framerate. They went to 1080p without fixing it and now they dare to go even further without having fixed it. Right now they shouldn't even be allowed to do 1080p.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

John2290 said:
vivster said:
No. Developers shouldn't even dare to increase the resolution before they fixed their fucking framerate. They went to 1080p without fixing it and now they dare to go even further without having fixed it. Right now they shouldn't even be allowed to do 1080p.

When you become gaming president of the universe, you can make that call. For now, lets keep on daring.

And here we see live and in color why devs keep getting away with that shit. Because apparently pretty pixels are so much more important than gameplay.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.