By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming shouldn't go over 4K. Once we fully achieve 4K we should focus on framerate!

Do you agree?

I agree 74 73.27%

I disagree 22 21.78%

Nice face. 5 4.95%

Total:101

For me resolution is like in movies or games. For example, if a movie is good, it will be good in 480i. But, if you can go to a 4K HDR edition it will be a much better experience and you can appreciate more of the movie itself.

Resolution is even more important for computer graphics than for live action.

Perfomance and resolutions are important people.

Around the Network
pray4mojo said:
Having been a child of the 80's and experiencing gaming when it was hitting on all cylinders CREATIVELY, I have the opinion that we should halt any and all effort to improve things like resolution bumps and frame rates etc. The industry is a shadow of it's former self when it comes to brand new, creative, industry changing games.

That would be my priority going forward if I had a say.

Nostalgia is blinding you here I think. People always say things were better in the old days. I love retro games, but there are still lots of new creative games being made today. There were games that ran like shit in the 80s as well. You remember the great games. Not the many games that were bad. Thats what nostalgia does.

I'm personally of the opinion that 2k is already more than the medium requires... Soaring development costs are holding back the industry.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Why can't we have 60 fps like right now?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Unpopular opinion: They should have focused on 1080p and 60fps this gen instead of trying to go for 4k...

Around the Network

I agree, but unfortunately, most developers will opt for the more marketable option, which is making the graphics prettier :/

I'd rather we focus on it now. It's not like 1080p is blurry. Isn't high definition high enough?

estebxx said:
Unpopular opinion: They should have focused on 1080p and 60fps this gen instead of trying to go for 4k...

It's not as unpopular as you think. 4k is great. It's better though when you can use it as an extension of your e penis.

there will come a point where upgrading becomes unnecessary. yes, the human eye can see basically infinite frames per second, but once displays reach 200, we would really not be able to tell the difference anymore. same with resolution. unless suddenly 120" TVs become common household objects, there would be no need for it

Uh. No. I mean sure, framerate is a great point of focus in general. But we should've focused on it long ago, and it's not always that black and white either. There's a ton of other areas to focus on, even in graphics. There's all kinds of effects and stuff. Resolution is really one of the worst areas to focus on, because it's basically diminishing returns. Additionally, focusing on high-end resolutions is foolish because most users are going to miss out on the high resolution, and focusing on other things first would be more beneficial to ALL users. But resolution is chosen instead because it's really easy to market. All you need to market resolution is a short piece of text. It's pretty hard to do the same for effects, and even framerate isn't understood as well as resolution. It's also hard to show in screenshots.