By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has sold 915k PSVR units to date

JWeinCom said:
Lafiel said:

well, according to this PSVR is just about 1.6% of the total PS4 install base, but makes up 9.5% of the RE7 user base (which is including PC/X1 gamers) registered at http://www.residentevil.net/uk/sevenrecord.html?ref=portal-uk--sevenrecord-index-titlemenu

They say it's at 150K vr users.  That's only out of people sending in game data, so it's probably a bit more than that.

The question is, how many people bought the game for VR that wouldn't have bought the game otherwise?

I'm one of them. I haven't bought a Resident Evil game since the 2nd one, 5 minutes with the vr demo was enough to sell RE7 to me and play it for over 50 hours.

You can also look at it like this, 150k of 915k VR users bought RE7, attach ratio 16.3%
Assuming about half of those stats are ps4 users, 787k of 55 million ps4 owners bought RE7, attach ratio 1.43%

Now not everyone plays online and probably plenty people opted out of RE net tracking, yet the difference would still be roughly the same, 11x more likely to sell to a VR user than a regular user. It's still kinda amazing that it's only 16% adoption rate for VR users with it being the only new full game out for it, but yeah I know a few that are too scared to play RE7 in VR.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Lafiel said:

as PSVR user base seems really overrepresented and assuming they are not a _lot_ more likely to send out data (I see little reason why they would), I'd infer that a lot of them bought the game for VR, otherwise I would expect PSVR user base to be around 2-3% of the total PS4 user base 

I don't really agree.

VR users are overrepresented compared to the entire PS4 userbase, but I'd expect that.  PSVR is a premium product.  The people who bought it paid 400 dollars for it, on top of the 300+ they paid for the PS4 itself.  Point is, the VR userbase is going to skew more hardcore than the general PS4 base.  The kinds of people who buy the PS4 and a couple of games a year are probably not going to be the VR customer.  I'd imagine the VR base buys more games in general, especially "hardcore" games like REVII.  By the same token, I'd also expect PS4Pro users to be overrepresented.

That's another good point. Personally I have bought about 25 VR games already, sure most were cheap but I've also spend more time playing VR games in the last 3 months of 2016 than regular games in all of 2016. And I'm still using it daily, currently alternating between DC VR and Dirt Rally VR.

Psychonauts Rhombus of Ruin just came out. I might give it a try tonight despite mediocre reviews. The threshold to buy a VR game is much lower for me than anything not made for VR. Which isn't neccesarily a good thing, rewarding devs for half work. Yo Codemasters, where is the rest of my car!

It's growing on me though, despite it being a shimmering low res mess. Racing in VR is worth going back to ps2 graphics. Those stages in Greece stages look pretty scary.

Barozi said:
Kinect was at ~9 million after the same time. Sure it wasn't quite as expensive but does that really explain that difference in sales?

A $100-150 peripheral with a big marketing push vs. a $400-500 one with supply issues? I'd say so.

I still think it's the tech of the future unlike waggle controls they just need to make it way cheaper and smaller

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Qwark said:
Wel it is a peripheral that's more expensive than a PS4 pro.

It's going to be the Sega CD of this generation. A cool product that has promise but is too far ahead of it's time.

Around the Network

Considering its price and that you need a ps4, thats really impressive. But i wont be touching it until the waifu simulators hit full force :^)

Barozi said:
Only further proves that VR is a very niche part of the gaming industry.

Kinect was at ~9 million after the same time. Sure it wasn't quite as expensive but does that really explain that difference in sales? I think not. And we know how the bad the support for it was.

While i agree the Kinect was far more successful (even considering cost), i think you're undervaluing the effect of price. I don't believe PSVR being $150 would have gotten it to Kinect numbers (maybe not even half), but the difference between $150 and $400 is huge. 

I was going to get one at launch and then looked at the games available and lost interest a bit. Then I thought I'd get one when I get a playstation pro but the pro doesn't really justify its higher performance for me currently. At the moment I'm happy with my standard PS4 and Vita. In fact I'm thinking of getting a another Vita so I can use my US PSN account on that and keep my OLED Vita for my European PSN account.

pretty awful numbers, and yes oculus and vive are even worse. Those sort of numbers do not justify game development costs. VR, at least this gen, looks to be going the way of the dodo and 3D TV.

Great numbers.

And it would have sold a lot more if they could produce more!