By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New performance mode boosts Switch handheld mode clocks by 25 per cent

Pemalite said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Most of those games could run on a Wii. 

Not at 720P.

I'm not paying €600-€800 just to play a bunch of SNES-Wii looking games in 720p and with awkward controls. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Eagle367 said:
Keep in mind that this is still from a unit from july 2016. Things could have changed significantly since then so this is probably the bare minimum which means switch docked is about 76% xbox with better flops then xbox due to latest technology. I don't know much but people more knowlegeable then me have said that the Flop of older consoles is weaker than newer ones because newer ones are more efficient. We can finally put this 100% to rest when thermal scans are done of the systems CPU/GPU

Even with it getting more performance out of what it has 397GFlops is no where near 76% of 1312GFlops.

This information also isn't from a july 2016 unit, it's information from developer documentation, developer documentatoin from a later date then their previous leak as it contains information on the boost mode.

Considering the thing launches in a week I expect this information to be correct, Eurogamer are stellar at this type of thing.

Available CPU SpeedsAvailable GPU SpeedsAvailable Memory Controller Speeds
Undocked 1020MHz 307.2MHz/384MHz 1331.2MHz
Docked 1020MHz 307.2MHz/384MHz/768MHz

1331.2MHz/1600MHz

http://nintendoeverything.com/latest-switch-tech-details-including-new-mode-that-boosts-mobile-clocks-by-25-percent/

Read it and weep. Also I thought xbone was 1GHz so I said 76%. I was talking about the docked performance. If In handheld mode it could get 76% of xobne that would essentially mean its beyond amazing and could probably outdo PS4 when docked but that's not the case

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
Barkley said:

Even with it getting more performance out of what it has 397GFlops is no where near 76% of 1312GFlops.

This information also isn't from a july 2016 unit, it's information from developer documentation, developer documentatoin from a later date then their previous leak as it contains information on the boost mode.

Considering the thing launches in a week I expect this information to be correct, Eurogamer are stellar at this type of thing.

1331.2MHz/1600MHz

http://nintendoeverything.com/latest-switch-tech-details-including-new-mode-that-boosts-mobile-clocks-by-25-percent/

Read it and weep. Also I thought xbone was 1GHz so I said 76%. I was talking about the docked performance. If In handheld mode it could get 76% of xobne that would essentially mean its beyond amazing and could probably outdo PS4 when docked but that's not the case

Hey guess what I checked Xbone and its GPU clock is 853MHz so GPU wise switch is more than 76% of xbone docked but the CPU speed is less closer and also RAM is half but DDR4 instead of DDR3. Considering everything switch is actually not that bad when stacked up against an XBONE don't you think. And I don't know these Flops are calculated but its sure as hell greater than 400GFlops all things considered

RAM

8GB DDR3
Clock: 2133MHz Bandwidth: 68.26 GB/s
+ 32MB eSRAM
Bandwidth: 204 GB/s(102 In/102 Out) [3]

Flash Memory

8GB Flash Memory [4]

CPU
8 Core AMD custom CPU
Frequency: 1.75 GHz [5]
GPU  Clock Speed: 853 MHz(originally 800 MHz)

Shader Cores: 768
Peak Throughput: 1.31 TFLOPS 

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

thismeintiel said:
Miyamotoo said:

And that why we can comparing it with only availible consoles at time, we cant know if we will compare Switch with PS5 or how much strong PS5 will be, so we cant say that "Switch is the weakest major home console ever compared to its competitors" when clear fact is that is Wii (at least for now).

The Switch's main competition is going to be the PS5 and, possibly, XB2.  Sure, we probably have 2 more years til the PS5 launches, but that doesn't change who its competition is going to be.  Just like the Wii U launching 1 year ahead of the PS4/XBO didn't change who its main competition was.  So, if the PS5 uses a slightly weaker version of a Vega 10, which I think is what they will do, we are looking at 11-12 Tflops vs .4 Tflops.  That's much larger than the gap between the Wii and the PS3 and the Wii U and the PS4.

The only way the Switch is not going to mainly be competing with the PS5 is if sales are so bad that Nintendo pulls the plug and tries the HW biz out one more time.  I don't think you want to hope for that, though.  Cause if that happens and then their next console flops, as well, Nintendo is going 3rd party.  At least sticking with mobile gaming, which would be a freaking sad place for them to end up.

Its not that simple and you cant say now whats Switch main competition will be, Switch is launching in middle of PS4/XB1 lifespan and where PS4/XB1 have mid life span upgrades, thats totally different situation compared to previous generations. PS5/XB2 can be launched in 3 years, but also we could have Switch Pro at same time. Fact is that main competition for Switch now are XB1/PS4.

I dont see Switch failing in any case, but I see Switch hardware revisions in any case (just handheld Switch, more powerful Switch, Switch VR/AR addon...).

Goodnightmoon said:
DM235 said:
The most powerful portable device appears to be the iPad Pro, as it beat the Tegra X1 (which should be comparable to the Switch):

https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=gfxgen&did1=26084812&os1=Android&api1=gl&hwtype1=GPU&hwname1=NVIDIA(R)+Tegra(R)+X1&D2=Apple+iPad+Pro

Although it is not a "console", it still plays Pokemon Go, Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, Madden, FIFA, Skylanders, Just Dance, Minecraft, Rayman, NBA 2K17 and a whole bunch more, at much higher than 720p resolution. No Zelda though...

Digital Foundry says Switch is “by far and away the most powerful handheld console ever made, backed by a dedicated API designed to extract maximum performance from the hardware”

What you made is basically like if I go into a "Ps4 pro is the most powerful console" and start to name PC models

Well said.

Eagle367 said:
Barkley said:

1331.2MHz/1600MHz

I'm very confused at why you're asking me to read specs I already knew when making the previous post and cry.

Yes those are the clock speeds which show that.

Switch Docked: 393GFlops (768mhz Clock)

Switch Undocked: 157GFlops (307.2mhz Clock) , 196GFlops (384mhz).

This doesn't change my post you quoted in the slightest as I already knew these figures. "Even with it getting more performance out of what it has 397GFlops is no where near 76% of 1312GFlops."

I think you're prehaps getting the clock speeds mixed up with GFlops, 768mhz is not 768GFlops.

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:

Hey guess what I checked Xbone and its GPU clock is 853MHz so GPU wise switch is more than 76% of xbone docked

No.... because the XBO GPU has more Shader Processors. GFlops takes Clock Speed and CU's into account.

Shader Processors * 2 * Clockspeed (1 = 1ghz) = GFlops

XBO has 768 shader processors and as you say a clock speed of 853mhz so.

XBO: 768 * 2 * 0.853 = 1310GFlops

Switch Docked: 256 * 2 * 0.768 = 393GFlops

Switch is NOT "more than 76%" XBO docked. PS4 has a GPU Clock of 800MHz so if we only look at it that way XBO is more powerful than the PS4 according to you.

Alkibiádēs said:
Pemalite said:

Not at 720P.

I'm not paying €600-€800 just to play a bunch of SNES-Wii looking games in 720p and with awkward controls. 

I never said you had to do anything.

Eagle367 said:

Hey guess what I checked Xbone and its GPU clock is 853MHz so GPU wise switch is more than 76% of xbone docked but the CPU speed is less closer and also RAM is half but DDR4 instead of DDR3. Considering everything switch is actually not that bad when stacked up against an XBONE don't you think. And I don't know these Flops are calculated but its sure as hell greater than 400GFlops all things considered

Uh... Clock Rate doesn't determine the absolute performance of hardware. Neither does Flops.

As for how flops are calculated it is determined as... Pixel Pipelines x Instructions per clock x clock rate.
Ergo... 256 pipelines x 2 instructions per clock x 384mhz core clock equates to 196 Gflop, 768Mhz equates to 393 Gflop.

But that ignores the Render-Output-Pipelines, Texture Mapping Units and other hardware that determines a chips capabilities as well.

As soon as we knew that the Switch was Tegra powered we knew it's performance was between a Wii U and Xbox One. That doesn't change regardless of it's clock speeds or flops.

Barkley said:

No.... because the XBO GPU has more Shader Processors. GFlops takes Clock Speed and CU's into account.

To be fair, Maxwell does have a massive efficiency edge against Graphics Core Next Gen 1.0.
You can't really compare them with only a single numerical value that is only theoretical anyway.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Barkley said:

To be fair, Maxwell does have a massive efficiency edge against Graphics Core Next Gen 1.0.
You can't really compare them with only a single numerical value that is only theoretical anyway.

Yes that's true, but my original comment was that even taking the greater efficiency into account it's not 76% the power of an XBO like Eagle was claiming.

Miyamotoo said:
bonzobanana said:

Alternatively the weakest major home console ever compared to its competitors.

Wrong, Wii was easily weakest major home console ever compared to its competitors.

Yes a fair cop. I'd forgotten just had bad the wii was. Still loved many of its games though. 12 gflops gpu vs around 250 gflops for ps3 or xbox 360 is over 20x difference. Even the original xbox was over 20 gflops. 

The Tegra X1 part is still a huge disappointment.