By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New performance mode boosts Switch handheld mode clocks by 25 per cent

Zekkyou said:
Miyamotoo said:

Wrong, Wii was easily weakest major home console ever compared to its competitors.

Eh, that's debatable. It depends on who you consider the Switch's competitors. Even if we ignore the Pro and Scorpio's existence on the basis of who they're marketed too (not an unreasonable argument), there's a good chance the Switch will spend the latter half of its life competing against a PS5 (and potentially an X1 successor, depending on how long MS expect the Scorpio to stick around). Even with a sub-average generation jump between the PS4 and PS5, it could be 20+ times stronger than the docked Switch. 

400 GFlops to 8TFlops, that'd be the jump required. I imagine the PS5 will be at the very least 10TFlops when it does come out.

Though I honestly have no idea how long it will be before the next Nintendo Switch comes out, it may be that this console spends the majority of it's life competing with ps4/xbo.

Around the Network

Keep in mind that this is still from a unit from july 2016. Things could have changed significantly since then so this is probably the bare minimum which means switch docked is about 76% xbox with better flops then xbox due to latest technology. I don't know much but people more knowlegeable then me have said that the Flop of older consoles is weaker than newer ones because newer ones are more efficient. We can finally put this 100% to rest when thermal scans are done of the systems CPU/GPU

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
Keep in mind that this is still from a unit from july 2016. Things could have changed significantly since then so this is probably the bare minimum which means switch docked is about 76% xbox with better flops then xbox due to latest technology. I don't know much but people more knowlegeable then me have said that the Flop of older consoles is weaker than newer ones because newer ones are more efficient. We can finally put this 100% to rest when thermal scans are done of the systems CPU/GPU

Even with it getting more performance out of what it has 397GFlops is no where near 76% of 1312GFlops.

This information also isn't from a july 2016 unit, it's information from developer documentation, developer documentatoin from a later date then their previous leak as it contains information on the boost mode.

Considering the thing launches in a week I expect this information to be correct, Eurogamer are stellar at this type of thing.

Zekkyou said:
Miyamotoo said:

Wrong, Wii was easily weakest major home console ever compared to its competitors.

Eh, that's debatable. It depends on who you consider the Switch's competitors. Even if we ignore the Pro and Scorpio's existence on the basis of who they're marketed too (not an unreasonable argument), there's a good chance the Switch will spend the latter half of its life competing against a PS5 (and potentially an X1 successor, depending on how long MS expect the Scorpio to stick around). Even with a sub-average generation jump between the PS4 and PS5, it could be 20+ times stronger than the docked Switch. 

Barkley said:
Zekkyou said:

400 GFlops to 8TFlops, that'd be the jump required. I imagine the PS5 will be at the very least 10TFlops when it does come out.

Though I honestly have no idea how long it will be before the next Nintendo Switch comes out, it may be that this console spends the majority of it's life competing with ps4/xbo.

PS4/XB1/PRO/Scorpio. We cant consider for competitors PS5 or XB2, when Pro just arrived, Scorpio will be launched in holiday season and we dont have a clue when exactly PS5 or XB2 will be launched, buy time they arives we coulde easily get Switch Pro for instance.

Maybe boost mode explains the massive variance between the Switch's maximum and minimum expected battery life. It's also good to hear that the battery is easily replaceable.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:

Alternatively the weakest major home console ever compared to its competitors.

The Wii U says hello?

Miyamotoo said:
Zekkyou said:

PS4/XB1/PRO/Scorpio. We cant consider for competitors PS5 or XB2, when Pro just arrived, Scorpio will be launched in holiday season and we dont have a clue when exactly PS5 or XB2 will be launched, buy time they arives we coulde easily get Switch Pro for instance.

I know, which is why i said it was debatable rather than that you're wrong. We can't be certain of anything, but it's not unreasonable to assume the PS5 could release in the next 5~ years (i'm personally expecting to see it late 2019/early 2020). Even if there is a Switch Pro, we can still compare the original Switch to the PS5, just as many currently compare the standard Switch to the standard PS4 and X1. Your claim related to the current Switch vs its competitors, which could include a PS5 and more. A Switch Pro is a separate variable to that statement.

Zekkyou said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Isn't this supposed to be a positive things? but of course let it to VGC to turn it into something bad.

Also I don't think every game will use the boost, Zelda already runs perfectly without it.

Even as someone who welcomes it in games like Zelda, i think it's a bit silly to say a 30fps game (one that reportedly drops on occasions) runs "perfectly" :p

Runs perfectly within its targeted framerate in portable mode, a 25% boost is not gonna upgrade that to 60fps so there is no need to use it for Zelda.

so Eurogamer is correct after all, and suddenly we are back at the "powerful for a handheld" thing

the time frame between now and E3 will determine Switch 3rd party support, and therefore whether it can be the next best thing for Nintendo

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Zekkyou said:
Miyamotoo said:

I know, which is why i said it was debatable rather than that you're wrong. We can't be certain of anything, but it's not unreasonable to assume the PS5 could release in the next 5~ years (i'm personally expecting to see it late 2019/early 2020). Even if there is a Switch Pro, we can still compare the original Switch to the PS5, just as many currently compare the standard Switch to the standard PS4 and X1. Your claim related to the current Switch vs its competitors, which could include a PS5 and more. A Switch Pro is a separate variable to that statement.

And that why we can comparing it with only availible consoles at time, we cant know if we will compare Switch with PS5 or how much strong PS5 will be, so we cant say that "Switch is the weakest major home console ever compared to its competitors" when clear fact is that is Wii (at least for now).