By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New performance mode boosts Switch handheld mode clocks by 25 per cent

Good thing it's not meant to compete with the PS4 at that rate.

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:

And still nothing  on pc looka more amazing  then uncharted 4 or horizon  zero dawn.

That's highly debateable. I'd say Star Wars Battlefront or Battlefield 1 at max settings and 60fps looks superior to anything on PS4.

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
so Eurogamer is correct after all, and suddenly we are back at the "powerful for a handheld" thing

the time frame between now and E3 will determine Switch 3rd party support, and therefore whether it can be the next best thing for Nintendo

To me what I think this proves more so than anything is that Eurogamer's initial specs leak was not only old information but not final clocks as they hammered home for people to run with as a definite. They also go on to compare the Chinese Switch teardown to the newly released Nvidia Shield TV which also uses a modified version of the Tegra X1.

I wish they would have done a comparison to the older Sheild TV because that would have made more sense!

Radek said:
curl-6 said:

That's highly debateable. I'd say Star Wars Battlefront or Battlefield 1 at max settings and 60fps looks superior to anything on PS4.

I dissagree. 

Battlefield 1 max settings on PC doesn't look that much better than PS4 Pro version which already runs around 1440p.

And it's 60 fps of course...

Even on Pro, BF1 uses the low setting for motion blur, medium for terrain, while shadows, particles, depth of field, reflections, etc all operate below PC's top settings.

Barkley said:

Also I thought it was decided Foxconn was the accurate leak and the less powerful Eurogamer specs were "Debunked".

I never took the Foxconn leak seriously. The leaker thought the Switch had a 1080P screen.

numberwang said:
I wonder what Zelda is running - considering it is only 900p docked it could be the 384MHz Turbo mode for portable 720p.

Probably the boosted mode, would explain it's battery life.

Alkibiádēs said:
xl-klaudkil said:
Still incredible underpowered

Can you point me to a handheld that can play games like Breath of the Wild on the go?

I can point you to hardware that would have increased it's performance by a good 50% for the same amount of power.

curl-6 said:

So no real surprises then as far as specs go; we're looking at a Maxwell Tegra X1 with a quad core ARM Cortex A57 CPU, and 4GB of RAM with 25GB/s of bandwidth, as expected.

Can someone who's good with tech explain how well the CPU stacks up to Wii U/PS4/Xbone's? (Bearing in mind that one of the four cores is apparently reserved for the OS)

25.6GB/s of bandwidth docked, 21GB/s undocked.
Delta Colour Compression in an ideal situation would make that 33.28GB/s and 27.3GB/s. Ironically, that's a bandwidth that is well suited to 720P.

CPU wise, ARM A53 quads should beat the Wii U's PowerPC CPU with ease.

As for the cores themselves... ARM A57 > Jaguar > ARM A53 > PowerPC 750 at about the same clocks.

The real caveat is clockrates and core counts... Jaguar is probably going to be clocked higher than the Switch (And use more power) and will have twice the CPU cores for gaming.
So the Playstation 4 and Xbox One could have roughly 3x-4x the CPU performance all told, if not more. But that does depend on the Switch's clock rates being at about 1Ghz~

Zekkyou said:

I've not read that deeply into the A57, but my understanding is that a similarly clocked A57 core will generally perform better than a Jaguar core, but that the A57's overall advantage doesn't extend as far as 1GHz vs 1.6Ghz (the latter being the standard PS4, which has the lowest clocked Jaguar). I'm not sure how it compares to the WiiU's Espresso.

Yep. A57 wins by about 10-15% at similar clocks to Jaguar...

It just shows how mediocre Jaguar really is though.

Radek said:

I dissagree. 

Battlefield 1 max settings on PC doesn't look that much better than PS4 Pro version which already runs around 1440p.

And it's 60 fps of course...

No way. Battlefield 1... 144fps and in eyefinity with everything dialed up to 11 is a *massive* difference over the consoles.
4k Eyefinity is a resolution of 11,520 x 2160 verses the Playstation 4 Pro's anemic 2560x1440 or 4k. - And the PC can step that up higher again.

The Graphics settings of Battlefield 1 still fall short of the PC's high settings, let-alone ultra, heck the Playstation 4 Pro's terrain quality is medium, not even high, PC beats it out with motion blur, depth of field, particles, ambient occolusion and more as well.

The PC version is still the definitive version and the best way to play it if graphics and performance are important.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

The most powerful portable device appears to be the iPad Pro, as it beat the Tegra X1 (which should be comparable to the Switch):

https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=gfxgen&did1=26084812&os1=Android&api1=gl&hwtype1=GPU&hwname1=NVIDIA(R)+Tegra(R)+X1&D2=Apple+iPad+Pro

Although it is not a "console", it still plays Pokemon Go, Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, Madden, FIFA, Skylanders, Just Dance, Minecraft, Rayman, NBA 2K17 and a whole bunch more, at much higher than 720p resolution. No Zelda though...

DM235 said:
The most powerful portable device appears to be the iPad Pro, as it beat the Tegra X1 (which should be comparable to the Switch):

https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=gfxgen&did1=26084812&os1=Android&api1=gl&hwtype1=GPU&hwname1=NVIDIA(R)+Tegra(R)+X1&D2=Apple+iPad+Pro

Although it is not a "console", it still plays Pokemon Go, Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, Madden, FIFA, Skylanders, Just Dance, Minecraft, Rayman, NBA 2K17 and a whole bunch more, at much higher than 720p resolution. No Zelda though...

Digital Foundry says Switch is “by far and away the most powerful handheld console ever made, backed by a dedicated API designed to extract maximum performance from the hardware”

What you made is basically like if I go into a "Ps4 pro is the most powerful console" thread and start to name PC models

Goodnightmoon said:
DM235 said:

Digital Foundry says Switch is “by far and away the most powerful handheld console ever made, backed by a dedicated API designed to extract maximum performance from the hardware”

What you made is basically like if I go into a "Ps4 pro is the most powerful console" and start to name PC models

Isn't that how the internet works?  :)

Anyhow, I think the comparison is still valid, since I believe that the handheld market is transitioning to the mobile market, with phones and tablets being the preferred portable gaming device.

DM235 said:

Most of those games could run on a Wii. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
DM235 said:

Most of those games could run on a Wii. 

Not at 720P.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--