Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New performance mode boosts Switch handheld mode clocks by 25 per cent

bonzobanana said:

Alternatively the weakest major home console ever compared to its competitors.

The Wii U says hello?

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Zekkyou said:

Eh, that's debatable. It depends on who you consider the Switch's competitors. Even if we ignore the Pro and Scorpio's existence on the basis of who they're marketed too (not an unreasonable argument), there's a good chance the Switch will spend the latter half of its life competing against a PS5 (and potentially an X1 successor, depending on how long MS expect the Scorpio to stick around). Even with a sub-average generation jump between the PS4 and PS5, it could be 20+ times stronger than the docked Switch. 

PS4/XB1/PRO/Scorpio. We cant consider for competitors PS5 or XB2, when Pro just arrived, Scorpio will be launched in holiday season and we dont have a clue when exactly PS5 or XB2 will be launched, buy time they arives we coulde easily get Switch Pro for instance.

I know, which is why i said it was debatable rather than that you're wrong. We can't be certain of anything, but it's not unreasonable to assume the PS5 could release in the next 5~ years (i'm personally expecting to see it late 2019/early 2020). Even if there is a Switch Pro, we can still compare the original Switch to the PS5, just as many currently compare the standard Switch to the standard PS4 and X1. Your claim related to the current Switch vs its competitors, which could include a PS5 and more. A Switch Pro is a separate variable to that statement.

Zekkyou said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Isn't this supposed to be a positive things? but of course let it to VGC to turn it into something bad.

Also I don't think every game will use the boost, Zelda already runs perfectly without it.

Even as someone who welcomes it in games like Zelda, i think it's a bit silly to say a 30fps game (one that reportedly drops on occasions) runs "perfectly" :p

Runs perfectly within its targeted framerate in portable mode, a 25% boost is not gonna upgrade that to 60fps so there is no need to use it for Zelda.

so Eurogamer is correct after all, and suddenly we are back at the "powerful for a handheld" thing

the time frame between now and E3 will determine Switch 3rd party support, and therefore whether it can be the next best thing for Nintendo

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Zekkyou said:
Miyamotoo said:

PS4/XB1/PRO/Scorpio. We cant consider for competitors PS5 or XB2, when Pro just arrived, Scorpio will be launched in holiday season and we dont have a clue when exactly PS5 or XB2 will be launched, buy time they arives we coulde easily get Switch Pro for instance.

I know, which is why i said it was debatable rather than that you're wrong. We can't be certain of anything, but it's not unreasonable to assume the PS5 could release in the next 5~ years (i'm personally expecting to see it late 2019/early 2020). Even if there is a Switch Pro, we can still compare the original Switch to the PS5, just as many currently compare the standard Switch to the standard PS4 and X1. Your claim related to the current Switch vs its competitors, which could include a PS5 and more. A Switch Pro is a separate variable to that statement.

And that why we can comparing it with only availible consoles at time, we cant know if we will compare Switch with PS5 or how much strong PS5 will be, so we cant say that "Switch is the weakest major home console ever compared to its competitors" when clear fact is that is Wii (at least for now).

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Zekkyou said:

And that why we can comparing it with only availible consoles at time, we cant know if we will compare Switch with PS5 or how much strong PS5 will be, so we cant say that "Switch is the weakest major home console ever compared to its competitors" when clear fact is that is Wii (at least for now).

I agree, but your original statement wasn't prefaced, you just stated the alternative. That's not to say you meant it as a fact, but in the absence of additional context i can only reply to what's there :)

what's up with these apple vs pineapple comparisons, it's stupid.

Anyways, I would bet this new mode would be great for developers targeting the lowest clock but aren't getting satisfactory performance. Rather than doing more tweaking and optimizing, just up the mode and problem solved (ofcouse it's probably not that easy, but you get the point).

So no real surprises then as far as specs go; we're looking at a Maxwell Tegra X1 with a quad core ARM Cortex A57 CPU, and 4GB of RAM with 25GB/s of bandwidth, as expected.

Can someone who's good with tech explain how well the CPU stacks up to Wii U/PS4/Xbone's? (Bearing in mind that one of the four cores is apparently reserved for the OS)

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Goodnightmoon said:
Zekkyou said:

Even as someone who welcomes it in games like Zelda, i think it's a bit silly to say a 30fps game (one that reportedly drops on occasions) runs "perfectly" :p

Runs perfectly within its targeted framerate in portable mode, a 25% boost is not gonna upgrade that to 60fps so there is no need to use it for Zelda.

Do we have any proper frame-rate analysis videos of its portable mode yet? Regardless, the portable mode does seem to perform well in the OT's video. It'd be cool if they can allow people to choose between graphics modes even when docked, so you could have the docked 900p but with portable graphics settings and stability. I don't imagine BotWs performance issues are significant, Nintendo rarely miss their performance targets by much (if at all in many cases), but the option would be a nice touch.

The stuttering in the video doesn't look good, but when I get the Switch, I would probably mainly use the handheld mode so it shouldn't be too much of a problem

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread -

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]