By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New performance mode boosts Switch handheld mode clocks by 25 per cent

se7en7thre3 said:

Switch is a portable console through and through, and simply adds convenience w/dock for tv output instead of the clumsy cable or laggy stream solution.

Switch is whatever console you choose to use it as. I will almost never use it as a portable, thus for me it is a home console. So if someone is going to use it primarily as a home console then there complaint of it being underpowered is valid, and "It's a handheld" is not a valid rebuttal.

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
xl-klaudkil said:
Still incredible underpowered

Can you point me to a handheld that can play games like Breath of the Wild on the go?

You can't praise it for it's abilities to play BotW on the go without also acknowledging its shortcomings as a home consoles. Regardless to how much you personally care, a hybrid system is naturally going to be compared to both the markets it sits in. To those that only care about one half of it's hybrid nature, the results of those comparisons are going to be amplified.

Barkley said:
se7en7thre3 said:

Switch is a portable console through and through, and simply adds convenience w/dock for ov output instead of the clumsy cable or laggy stream solution.

Switch is whatever console you choose to use it as. I will almost never use it as a portable, thus for me it is a home console. So if someone is going to use it primarily as a home console then there complaint of it being underpowered is valid, and "It's a handheld" is not a valid rebuttal.

I can understand, and I think it's a valid point. But, in ny opinion, underpowered is something more factual, based in form factor. Packing that power on that tiny console is not what I'd call "underpowered". Though, yep, I can still see why some people would want more power. That wouldn't suit me, I prefer portability over power, so I'm fine with it.

Barkley said:
se7en7thre3 said:

Switch is a portable console through and through, and simply adds convenience w/dock for tv output instead of the clumsy cable or laggy stream solution.

as i pointed out here http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8310393

As long as the switch internals are in the tablet, it will be portable in nature, and docked secondary, always

current switch design mainly optimised toward:

1. handheld

2. docked

3. tabletop

Lets say in the futures theres a 8-10 in. Switch XL, now the order of optimisation will change to

1. tabletop

2. docked

3. portable

So there will ALWAYS be complaints of Switch being underpowered as a HC, because the docked aspect is always optional or secondary in nature. 

Just because Switch can do many things, doesn't mean every mode is optimised equally.  I for one, really like tabletop mode but its clearly the worst option in this iteration of Switch. I can complain about it, but also call it as it is, switch is a handheld first and foremost.

That's quite an achievement being the most powerful handheld console ever.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
se7en7thre3 said:

It's a portable device, you not using it for that reason doesn't change any of the facts. The PS4 is also incredibly underpowered compared to PCs. 

I never used my 3DS outside my house, that doesn't make it a home console all of a sudden though. It's like saying the PS3 isn't a blu-ray player because you don't use that feature. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:

It's a portable device, you not using it for that reason doesn't change any of the facts.

It means for the purpose I wish to use it for it will be underpowered. Whatever your use for it personally is all that matters when it comes to your opinion on the value of a product.

It IS meant to be used as a Home Console as well, people WILL want to use it exclusively as a home console, so it still can be measured by those standards.

vivster said:

Alternatively the weakest major home console ever compared to its competitors.

Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

It's a portable device, you not using it for that reason doesn't change any of the facts.

It means for the purpose I wish to use it for it will be underpowered. Whatever your use for it personally is all that matters when it comes to your opinion on the value of a product.

Twisted logic, your PS4 is also underpowered for what you use it for. Much more powerful PCs out there that can also do a lot more than just gaming. 

If you don't want a handheld then don't buy one. Jesus Christ... 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

bonzobanana said:
vivster said:

Alternatively the weakest major home console ever compared to its competitors.

Either way a great achievement.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.