By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why BotW's review scores will be lower than expected

Miyamotoo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The last Zelda title on the Wii U game scored  86 on metacritic. Zelda never had this much open competition....like ever.

Yes, TP HD score 86, but we talking about remaster of GC game that definitely didn't aged best and still receive 86 score, I dont think that could be compared with brand new Zelda, or that Zelda BotW will recive less than 90.

You bring up a good point, but being that games like the Witcher 3 and Skyrim came out some time ago, the grounds for expectation have only risen since. Im sure BOTW will do well, but it has never really had open world competition on this level since these two games camae out. Id dare say even Final Fantasy XV as well.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The last Zelda title on the Wii U game scored  86 on metacritic. Zelda never had this much open competition....like ever.

The last Zelda title on the Wii U was a remake of a ten year old game, that it still scored an 86 is contrary to your conclusion. 

Point taken. As I told Miyamoto before you, the last Zelda game came out before most of the newest genre standard setting open world action rpgs dropped. This will weight on reviewers minds heavily. I wouldnt doubt Zelda will get a 90, but its going to be harder today than ever before.

It will only be lower for those who expected higher reviews

sc94597 said:
Kerotan said:
When does the review embargo lift?

March 2nd 

Why won't they let reviewers review it before launch? 

Kerotan said:
sc94597 said:

March 2nd 

They leting them, one day before launch. :)

Around the Network
Kaneman! said:

Expecting a metascore around 90, will be surprised if it's any lower.

Also, what makes you think the Switch's power is 80% of the XOne? I didn't see that confirmed anywhere.

I have seen a widely spread image of benchmarks that are supposedly from the switch. In theory, it states that the power was approximately eighty percent of the Xbox one 

Even if we were to assume this is the case (may not necessarily be), taking the handheld mode into consideration will definitely prevent us from having certain games.

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

So why don't they have the confidence to put it out to them a week before?  

Kerotan said:
Miyamotoo said:

So why don't they have the confidence to put it out to them a week before?  

We dont know why they doing like that, I am pretty sure they are very confident in Zelda BotW.

What are the review scores expected for BoTW exactly?

I even haven´t played the game yet. If it gets around 90, it will be just ok. I don´t think any of the points made are really relevant for the game to get it except if the voice acting is really bad.

Just because it's Zelda, it will get a great score.