By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are most games good?

Tagged games:

Out of 10, most games average...

9-10 0 0%

8-9 8 6.67%

7-8 28 23.33%

6-7 31 25.83%

5-6 22 18.33%

4-5 9 7.50%

3-4 4 3.33%

2-3 3 2.50%

1-2 6 5.00%

See results 9 7.50%

Total:120
Bofferbrauer said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

For those lucky enough to avoid buying crummy games, how do you do it?

Follow a certain IP? A certain developer? A certain genre?

I ask because I've been burned by all three before.

Reading carefully through reviews and/or trying a demo/beta before buying and not giving any crap about trailers. You can gnerally find out if the game can appeal to your tastes or not when doing so. Oh, and never preordering any game, I buy my games at budget price (exept Nintendo, since they tend to not lower their prices anytime soon) month or even years after release, generally during some sale. This has the advantages of 1. having to pay much less 2. mostly patched by then; thus better playable 3. often by that point it's a GOTY or similar version with the DLCs included, making you save even more money. You just need some patience...

That's good advice, but I've yet to find a critic or publications whose tastes match my own.

Demos and betas are a good idea, but they can be misleading also. A great first hour might lead to hours and hours of tedium. Conversely, a bad or mediocre demo might hide a great game. The Resident Evil VII demo is a good example.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

For those lucky enough to avoid buying crummy games, how do you do it?

Follow a certain IP? A certain developer? A certain genre?

I ask because I've been burned by all three before.

You lie to yourself and don't mention buying those to others.

I'm really on the fence atm about Psychonauts Rhombus of Ruin (comes out the 22nd) I like puzzle adventure games, love VR, and Tim Schafer has made plenty great stuff yet Double Fine's Broken age wasn't worth my time and funding and I've tried getting into the original Psychonauts 3 times now, it's just not that much fun to play.

I'm not lucky either and just don't know. I have gotten better at predicting what fits my tastes over the years yet still not fool proof. There's always trade ins. I really thought Xenoblade Chronicles X was right up my alley, epic sci-fi RPG. Could not get past the tutorial, too boring, traded it in. So if you even get burned on critically acclaimed games that fit your interests, what chance do I have with those 50-70 scoring games that sometimes turn out great, sometimes awful :/

Yeah, Metacritic has been an inconsistent guide. A lot of my favorite games this gen hover around the 70s.

In general, most games are average

the games I mostly play are good though ;)

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

RolStoppable said:
Most games are not made by Nintendo, therefore most games are not good.

Gross.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Bofferbrauer said:

Reading carefully through reviews and/or trying a demo/beta before buying and not giving any crap about trailers. You can gnerally find out if the game can appeal to your tastes or not when doing so. Oh, and never preordering any game, I buy my games at budget price (exept Nintendo, since they tend to not lower their prices anytime soon) month or even years after release, generally during some sale. This has the advantages of 1. having to pay much less 2. mostly patched by then; thus better playable 3. often by that point it's a GOTY or similar version with the DLCs included, making you save even more money. You just need some patience...

That's good advice, but I've yet to find a critic or publications whose tastes match my own.

Demos and betas are a good idea, but they can be misleading also. A great first hour might lead to hours and hours of tedium. Conversely, a bad or mediocre demo might hide a great game. The Resident Evil VII demo is a good example.

Even there opinions vary, the RE7 Beginning hour demo was a very good representation of the game imo. At least if you went on down to the basement, if you only take the first opportunity out through the front door, hmm bad demo after all.

Demos are very tricky, they more often lead to not purchasing after all. Early access demos are even more damaging. I loved the KSP demo. By the time the game was ready for release my interest was gone. I'm glad I bought Rez Infinite on a whim. I played the demo later and it sucked. Actually from the VR demo disc I only bought Wayward sky after playing the demo. There was more cool stuff yet the demos had me satisfied enough already to rather buy something I had not played yet.

I do use metacritic now and then, easy place to find the negative reviews. Read a couple of those, if what they're complaining about is no issue for me (or actually a positive) then it's a good indication that I'll end up liking the game. Glowing reviews are pretty much always useless.

Around the Network

All games are bad except for the ones you like. Hence why people have opinions. Some will hate the games you love and vice versa.

The problem with modern gaming and hardware is gamers buy off brand power than actual quality of the product.

Out of all the games published every year? Like, indies, mid-level and AAA titles? I'd say most of them are mediocre or just above average. They might be fun for a bit, but they don't stay with you. It's a special game that I'd actually call "great" or "amazing" and I think only so many of them come out each generation. But it'd be the same with any type of media, right? Books, movies, tv shows. They can't all be great.

That being said, I've played more good games in the past three years than ever in my lifetime.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

There's a ton of bad games out there. Watching the Jimquisition has shown me that Steam is littered with them. I rarely buy a game I end up disliking completely though. Through the years I've come to develop a good instinct for what games I'm going to like/love and the ones that leave me indifferent.

Signature goes here!

Ooooh, that is a hard question. It's easy to say most of them are good because people play games they like/and good games. But then there are the games that we don't play nor know about. Are those games good too? Maybe, maybe not... And there's shovelware too, which are usually awful games. I suppose you can say 'for every good game out there, there is a bad one'

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Good games are a rare exception these days.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.