By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are most games good?

Tagged games:

Out of 10, most games average...

9-10 0 0%

8-9 8 6.67%

7-8 28 23.33%

6-7 31 25.83%

5-6 22 18.33%

4-5 9 7.50%

3-4 4 3.33%

2-3 3 2.50%

1-2 6 5.00%

See results 9 7.50%

Total:120
Mummelmann said:
Most games are mediocre, I'd say that about 30-40% of the games that I try are good in my opinion and then there are hundreds that you simply don't even want to try.
Then again; many games are objectively good even though I don't like them. But I still feel like the majority of games are mediocre, just as with music, movies and books, most broader entertainment is mediocre, but it's still entertainment.

Can you expand on that idea of objectively good? I know you can objectively measure things like frame rate, resolution, available modes, etc. But how do you judge gameplay without using your personal opinion?

Around the Network

I'm on the "most are bad" side of the fence.

Most "games" are trash, as are most tv shows, movies, stories, etc. A lot of people are lucky to experience the top 1% of everything with most other things relegated to be forgotten.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

For those lucky enough to avoid buying crummy games, how do you do it?

Follow a certain IP? A certain developer? A certain genre?

I ask because I've been burned by all three before.

Reading carefully through reviews and/or trying a demo/beta before buying and not giving any crap about trailers. You can gnerally find out if the game can appeal to your tastes or not when doing so. Oh, and never preordering any game, I buy my games at budget price (exept Nintendo, since they tend to not lower their prices anytime soon) month or even years after release, generally during some sale. This has the advantages of 1. having to pay much less 2. mostly patched by then; thus better playable 3. often by that point it's a GOTY or similar version with the DLCs included, making you save even more money. You just need some patience...

Most of them are pretty bad. I mean, anybody can make a game. Most of the Steam library is plain horrible. To know which game is worth my time, I usually see gameplays, read reviews and think about if the game suits me. I tend to enjoy most of the games I buy. Except for some games like Skyrim or Dragon Age: Inquisition. I thought I might like them but nope.

Around the Network

Well personally most of the games I play are good because I often pick games that I know I'm gonna like.

Most japanese games are good, thats the best guide never look back since 

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Follow certain developer and read critics and reviews before buying, never buy on day 1 and always be pessimistic with Nintendo. 

Personally, I've only played a handful of bad games, since I usually play games that either have outstanding reviews, get good word of mouth, or have a cult following to them.

It's much easier to make a bad game than a good game, and there have been a slew of disappointing games in the past decade as well, so there's that.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Jpcc86 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Follow certain developer and read critics and reviews before buying, never buy on day 1 and always be pessimistic with Nintendo. 

That last part won't work for me. Nintendo is the developer I trust most