By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Australia pricing really is ridiculous.

Australians, it pays to shop around too. Big W had Devil May Cry 4 for $74 within a week of it launching.

Video games aren't stupid. The people that play them are.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
I have no idea Zealot. Well I do, profit. Not that that justifies such an insane difference.

Out of fairness I'll point out that Australia has a 10% GST, but that still doesn't bring the prices anywhere close to reasonable or comparable.

And it doesn't explain why Microsoft has made exchange rate concessions recently but Sony hasn't.

I agree with your main post; those prices sound pretty ridiculous (all except the price of the console, because it sounds high in US dollars in large part because the US dollar is so weak.

Which brings me to the bolded statement here.  The difference between the dollar and yen does explain.  Microsoft makes more in $US for each item sold overseas because of the weakness of the dollar.  The yen is quite a bit stronger vs foreign currencies than the dollar is.  And Sony has to take its profits after converting to yen, its home currency. 

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
starcraft said:
I have no idea Zealot. Well I do, profit. Not that that justifies such an insane difference.

Out of fairness I'll point out that Australia has a 10% GST, but that still doesn't bring the prices anywhere close to reasonable or comparable.

And it doesn't explain why Microsoft has made exchange rate concessions recently but Sony hasn't.

I agree with your main post; those prices sound pretty ridiculous (all except the price of the console, because it sounds high in US dollars in large part because the US dollar is so weak.

Which brings me to the bolded statement here.  The difference between the dollar and yen does explain.  Microsoft makes more in $US for each item sold overseas because of the weakness of the dollar.  The yen is quite a bit stronger vs foreign currencies than the dollar is.  And Sony has to take its profits after converting to yen, its home currency. 

So does nintendo

Sony charges people more in Europe/Others so they can sell for less in the Americas and Japan regions.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Sony charges people more in Europe/Others so they can sell for less in the Americas and Japan regions.

Sad, but I also think that is the reason. Others region seem to not care as much when paying premiums for their products.

Around the Network

@Tuanniez

Hehe, does sounds like the same place but as i said i never ordered online and had no problems in the store in Brisbane.

starcraft said:
Branko2166 said:

QFT!!!

Like Jake says if you are patient it doesn't have to cost too much. Also as someone else mentioned the ps3 is region free so you can always order a game from overseas. I don't see it as a big deal and it is obviously a consequence of Australia being such a small market that we are often forced to pay a premium. Keep in mind that the current situation is also a bit misleading as the Australian dollar is at a historical high against the US dollar.

From my experience gaming has always been expensive in Australia and I don't see why you (starcraft) continually target Sony when everyone is in on it. Noone is forcing you to buy their products so if you don't like a company's priceing then don't buy their products.

In the past I have been conservative and have waited for prices to come down but have invested heavily this generation. That's not to say that people should do what I did but simply that choices are available and that bitching and moaning will not achieve anything. Just relax and enjoy your gaming and don't worry too much about pricing :)

If you had fully read my OP before having a bitch at me, you would have seen why I am 'targeting' Sony. Whilst Microsoft and Nintendo have both shown evidence of adjusting prices with exchange rates, Sony hasn't.

Furthermore, I (apparently unlike you) do not have the unlimited funds necessary to "not worry too much about pricing."

I have read your post and what you don't mention is the fact that while RRP of games are high, if you actually bother to look around different shops you can find much lower priced games. Up until I pre ordered MGS4 SE I did not pay more then $95 for any game. I find that the best deals are usually at big W and K mart when they have their discounts. For example I got Resistance and motorstorm for $50 each.

For the record I don't have unlimited funds and actually try and find good deals for games and largely succeed in doing that. My issue is that in my opinion you are focusing too much on Sony where as I think that gaming in general is expensive in Australia. Keep in mind that right now the ps3 is cheaper then the ps2 when it launched. While the ps3 did launch for a ludicrous $999 they have reduced it to $698 bundle packs and I expect another decent price cut this year.

Like I said earlier if you beleive the ps3 to be too expensive now just wait until it gets a price cut and you will get a much better deal. Sometimes we have to be willing to pay the price for new technology. Thankfully as time goes by prices depreciate and things become more affordable.

starcraft said:

Right now the only PS3 console available here is the 40gb retailing at a RRP of $AU699 (around $US640).

Games (including Sony first-party games thanks to the high loss they used to make on the console) have an RRP of $AU115-119 (around $US105).

Now the rumour is that when Sony FINALLY brings rumble to our shores in a few weeks, it will be at a cost of $AU99.95 ($US90) PER CONTROLLER!!!!

Microsoft and Nintendo screw us as well, but at least we are starting to see exchange rate-related drops from them.

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=10961&sid=7764e627efdc1afe9975955cf1bd235d&title=RUMOUR%3A+Dual+Shock+3+release+date+and+price

The cost of Gaming in Europe:

A 40GB PS3: €399  =$626

Games: €70-€75 = $109-$117

Looks like we actually pay more for games than you do, but slightly less for the console.

They do it because they know we'll pay, and we have been for years and years. A change would be nice, I cant afford any games at the moment. The prices on games is ridiculous. I don't wanna pay $100+ for a game.

The prices of games/consoles today is really too high. Good job Nintendo didn't follow suit with the hardware otherwise the only console I have been able to afford I would not have been able to afford.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions