By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Australia pricing really is ridiculous.

yeah over here the good DS games cost like the same as american ps3 and 360 games :( it really sux, i always thought the import tax was what added so much to the price? you see it in martial art weapons and stuff as well, swords that cost $25 in america cost $150 in australia :s it really doesnt make any sence though now that the AU dollar is almost the same as the US, you would expect some kind of balancing out with the prices. Its prolly a good time to convert all ur cash to US dollars so when the US dollar goes back up you can re convert it back to AU dollars and make a proffit ha lol

Keep it real guys, dont hate mario, hate the player

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

Around the Network
Branko2166 said:

QFT!!!

Like Jake says if you are patient it doesn't have to cost too much. Also as someone else mentioned the ps3 is region free so you can always order a game from overseas. I don't see it as a big deal and it is obviously a consequence of Australia being such a small market that we are often forced to pay a premium. Keep in mind that the current situation is also a bit misleading as the Australian dollar is at a historical high against the US dollar.

From my experience gaming has always been expensive in Australia and I don't see why you (starcraft) continually target Sony when everyone is in on it. Noone is forcing you to buy their products so if you don't like a company's priceing then don't buy their products.

In the past I have been conservative and have waited for prices to come down but have invested heavily this generation. That's not to say that people should do what I did but simply that choices are available and that bitching and moaning will not achieve anything. Just relax and enjoy your gaming and don't worry too much about pricing :)

If you had fully read my OP before having a bitch at me, you would have seen why I am 'targeting' Sony.  Whilst Microsoft and Nintendo have both shown evidence of adjusting prices with exchange rates, Sony hasn't.

Furthermore, I (apparently unlike you) do not have the unlimited funds necessary to "not worry too much about pricing."

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
Branko2166 said:

QFT!!!

Like Jake says if you are patient it doesn't have to cost too much. Also as someone else mentioned the ps3 is region free so you can always order a game from overseas. I don't see it as a big deal and it is obviously a consequence of Australia being such a small market that we are often forced to pay a premium. Keep in mind that the current situation is also a bit misleading as the Australian dollar is at a historical high against the US dollar.

From my experience gaming has always been expensive in Australia and I don't see why you (starcraft) continually target Sony when everyone is in on it. Noone is forcing you to buy their products so if you don't like a company's priceing then don't buy their products.

In the past I have been conservative and have waited for prices to come down but have invested heavily this generation. That's not to say that people should do what I did but simply that choices are available and that bitching and moaning will not achieve anything. Just relax and enjoy your gaming and don't worry too much about pricing :)

If you had fully read my OP before having a bitch at me, you would have seen why I am 'targeting' Sony.  Whilst Microsoft and Nintendo have both shown evidence of adjusting prices with exchange rates, Sony hasn't.

Furthermore, I (apparently unlike you) do not have the unlimited funds necessary to "not worry too much about pricing."

I guess the ability to import on ps3 compensates for that, however im guessing they will adjust prices at some point aswell anyways. It doesnt help however that its the most expensive console to begin with.

lultor said:

I guess the ability to import on ps3 compensates for that, however im guessing they will adjust prices at some point aswell anyways. It doesnt help however that its the most expensive console to begin with.

Your right about the initial cost.  But the thing is, most gamers (myself included) have no experience in importing.  And at the end of the day, it really is ridiculous that we need to import to get a fair price.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Australia is a small market for everything but we don't pay such ridiculously inflated prices for anything else i can think of.

It was for this reason i actually wanted to buy a US Wii when i was last back in Australia but alas, they were sold out, and i had to get a local one.

Around the Network

Well up here in Canada we've been treated pretty well, usually prices are higher than in the States but right now it's the same.

Really sucks for you guys though, that is ridiculously high for a game, controller or console.

starcraft said:
lultor said:

Your right about the initial cost.  But the thing is, most gamers (myself included) have no experience in importing.  And at the end of the day, it really is ridiculous that we need to import to get a fair price.

Yes its ridiculous, but at least you have the option to import, hopefuly next generation all consoles will be region free. However even if the ps3 has the biggest price difference at the moment in australia (which isnt the case in nz btw), games on all 3 consoles will always be more expensive, even comparing to uk which has a much higher VAT rate then australia, so you loose in all cases. So i think we should bitch at all the companies to lower their prices rather then be selective :)

Have a look here, I've never ordered online from them but they have a store in Brisbane which i have been going to for years. Their prices are not much or cheaper than RRP in Australia, but if you did want to get an import system you could get it from here and then you'd have the option of tracking down a cheaper source for games.

http://www.burndirect.com.au/

TheUltimateLife said:
yeah over here the good DS games cost like the same as american ps3 and 360 games :( it really sux, i always thought the import tax was what added so much to the price? you see it in martial art weapons and stuff as well, swords that cost $25 in america cost $150 in australia :s it really doesnt make any sence though now that the AU dollar is almost the same as the US, you would expect some kind of balancing out with the prices. Its prolly a good time to convert all ur cash to US dollars so when the US dollar goes back up you can re convert it back to AU dollars and make a proffit ha lol

Haha yeh, I always found it hard to pay up to 79.95 AUD for a bloody DS games... that's insane! Like a DS game should cost almost as much as some PC games.. geez. 

Good idea bout the converting bit, but what happens if the AUD ends up being higher than the US greenback? Then you'll regret it lol. 

hsrob said:
Have a look here, I've never ordered online from them but they have a store in Brisbane which i have been going to for years. Their prices are not much or cheaper than RRP in Australia, but if you did want to get an import system you could get it from here and then you'd have the option of tracking down a cheaper source for games.

http://www.burndirect.com.au/

This is a bit off topic but, i just googled burndirect and i found this thread

http://phorums.com.au/archive/index.php/t-99477.html

Not sure if its the same place you're talking about, but if it is.. I'm not sure if its really such a good idea to go there hahah.