By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Shigeru Miyamoto: "In the world of fun, there's only number one."

Pinkie_pie said:
Alkibiádēs said:

You must have missed the PSP, PS3 and PS Vita getting trounced by Nintendo consoles. 

The wii beat the ps3 but i wouldnt call it trouncing. 

Until you see how much profit it generated. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

Switch's succes might be the the biggest game changer in the market.
If it falls, they will go 3rd party.

Alkibiádēs said:
Pinkie_pie said:

The wii beat the ps3 but i wouldnt call it trouncing. 

Until you see how much profit it generated. 

I dont know or care about how much money they make all i care is games i play and the fact that the wii had a short life makes it a disappointment in my eyes.

pray4mojo said:
VGPolyglot said:

What makes no one else doing it? Many of the third party games are already on other consoles, and even Nintendo games themselves have at least something similar on other consoles.

You can't take your Xbox One and PS4 on the go and play it at work/school. You can't do that. It's just not possible. The Switch is going to do things that the other two guys can't. Even the media format is different. 

How is a handheld unique? The Switch is doing the exact same thing as the PSP.

Lawlight said:
pray4mojo said:

You can't take your Xbox One and PS4 on the go and play it at work/school. You can't do that. It's just not possible. The Switch is going to do things that the other two guys can't. Even the media format is different. 

Except it's not the same and if you can't tell why than you never will. But I'll try to explain it to you:

• The PSP games don't take up the full screen of your TV, so your stuck playing the game with huge black borders.
  • It doesn't change the resolution when it outputs the game on TV, resulting in an overstretched image with a lot of jaggies. The Nintendo Switch is more powerful when docked. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe runs at 1080p on the TV for example. 
  • You're stuck controlling the game with a PSP that is connected to your TV by wires. The Switch supports a Pro Controller and also has detachable joycon controllers. 
  • The process is rather slow and cumbersome on the PSP. With the Switch you just put it in or out of the dock and the games appear immediatly. 
  • You're not getting access to Sony's full library of games. Nintendo will only develop games for the Switch from now on. Sony focused most of its effort on the PS3 during the PSP's life cycle. So if you wanted access to everything PS had to offer you still needed to buy a PS3 on top of your PSP. With Nintendo you'll only have to buy the Switch to enjoy all of Nintendo's games. This is quite litterally the most important advantage the Nintendo Switch will have. 
Just look at that video. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Pyro as Bill said:
Aren't you ignoring the 3DS?

Switch looks like it's swimming in the same red ocean as 3DS to me (unlike DS-GBA, Wii-GC) and is only going to be blue ocean because 3DS is about to drown.

The 3DS does not output to the TV and has no multiplayer options with only a single device, so even if your questionable logic were to be humored, it wouldn't make any sense what you are saying.

I took the hh market being a blue ocean to mean an untapped/new blue ocean like with Wii/DS as opposed to blue ocean because everybody else is dead. It's not like it was with Wii/DS where the expanded audience BO wasn't being served at all.

Speaking of which, I don't think Switch is getting to 120m+ without them. 1,2 Switch looks like what you would get if you tried to make Wii Sports for a portable/tabletop device given that motion control can't really work on a small screen, especially multiplayer. ARMS looks like it could fall into the same motion-core bracket that Mario Kart does. If they can't make a Switch Sports launch game, ARMS plus Mario Kart w/wheel plus 1,2 Switch is nothing to sneeze at from the 'cazualz' pov.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pssssh! I ain't reading all that!

Soundwave said:

It's a nice PR spin, but for those of us who actually remember a time when Nintendo meant great Nintendo 1st, 2nd, AND all the 3rd party support in the world, it rings kinda hollow. The only difference is now we have fewer software diversity on Nintendo platforms and long droughts neither of which is "fun", nor is Nintendo's obsession with trying to win back the mini-game audience, it's more desperate than original in a way, that was original *10 years* ago. 1,2 Switch is something that could have been on the original Wii and it looks inferior to even Wii Sports ... I personally don't call that progress. 

There is a number 1 and it's this:

I beg to differ:

Lauster said:
pray4mojo said:

It is nevertheless what I do thanks to my Vita connected to my phone...

But Nintendo has others pros although they are not the only one to be creative and taking risks.

Does every single game on PS4 work on Vita? Can you set your Vita on a table, detach each side of the handheld and give it to your friends so you guys can play multiplayer? 

Only Switch can do what it's doing. 

Alkibiádēs said:
Lawlight said:

Except it's not the same and if you can't tell why than you never will. But I'll try to explain it to you:

• The PSP games don't take up the full screen of your TV, so your stuck playing the game with huge black borders.
  • It doesn't change the resulotion when it outputs the game on TV, which means the games are overstretched and are filled with jaggies. The Nintendo Switch is more powerful when docked. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe runs at 1080p on the TV for example. 
  • You're stuck controlling the game with a PSP that is connected to your TV by wires. The Switch supports a Pro Controller and also has detachable joycon controllers. 
  • The process is rather slow and cumbersome on the PSP. With the Switch you just put it in or out of the dock and the games appear immediatly. 
  • You're not getting access to Sony's full library of games. Nintendo will only develop games for the Switch from now on. Sony focused most of its effort on the PS3 during the PSP's life cycle. So if you wanted access to all PS had to offer you still needed to buy a PS3 on top of your PSP. With Nintendo you'll only have to buy the Switch to enjoy all of Nintendo's games. This is quite litterally the most important advantage the Nintendo Switch will have. 
Just look at that video. 

welcome to the future NEW systems having enhanced features ,sure proves the doubters wrong and goes to show that tech can improve over time .

Still some thing being improved doesn't  make it  unique.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

• It doesn't change the resulotion when it outputs the game on TV, which means the games are overstretched and are filled with jaggies. The Nintendo Switch is more powerful when docked. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe runs at 1080p on the TV for example. 
  • You're not getting access to Sony's full library of games. Nintendo will only develop games for the Switch from now on. Sony focused most of its effort on the PS3 during the PSP's life cycle. So if you wanted access to all PS had to offer you still needed to buy a PS3 on top of your PSP. With Nintendo you'll only have to buy the Switch to enjoy all of Nintendo's games. This is quite litterally the most important advantage the Nintendo Switch will have. 
Just look at that video. 

welcome to the future NEW systems having enhanced features ,sure proves the doubters wrong and goes to show that tech can improve over time .

Still some thing being improved doesn't  make it  unique.

The Switch is unique. 

All the PSP did was have a video-out to a TV. It wasn't even the first handheld to do so. It was a mere gimmick for the PSP, one that was barely used and hardly advertised. You weren't going to be playing The Last of Us on your PSP, now were you? Switch will play games like Breath of the Wild, Skyrim and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 everywhere you want. 

The last point I offered is actually by far the most important thing about the Switch and that's what makes it a unique Nintendo console. No longer will their effort be split between two different consoles.

And there's a butt-load of other stuff that sets the Switch apart from other consoles like detachable controllers, HD rumble, etc.