By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Shigeru Miyamoto: "In the world of fun, there's only number one."

RolStoppable said:

With Sony's exit from the handheld market, Switch is going to be the only option left for dedicated gaming. 

I'd like to note: While this is the current and recent future situation, that is not to say that Sony will stay out of the handheld business forever more. One of the principal weaknesses to Sony's handheld strategies from PSP to the Vita was the use of expensive, proprietary memory cards. If they designed a successor for Vita to be more accessible (internal storage and standard expandable storage, for example) and bundle it with a stream box connected to the TV, they could have a legitimate competitor to Switch.

Looking forward to getting my hands on Switch at launch!

The BuShA owns all!

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

It's a nice PR spin, but for those of us who actually remember a time when Nintendo meant great Nintendo 1st, 2nd, AND all the 3rd party support in the world, it rings kinda hollow. The only difference is now we have fewer software diversity on Nintendo platforms and long droughts neither of which is "fun", nor is Nintendo's obsession with trying to win back the mini-game audience, it's more desperate than original in a way, that was original *10 years* ago. 1,2 Switch is something that could have been on the original Wii and it looks inferior to even Wii Sports ... I personally don't call that progress. 

There is a number 1 and it's this:

You obviously took what he said on face value. He didn't mean being unique makes you the market leader. He meant that by being "one of a kind" you're atuomatically number one at what you're doing because there's simply no one else competeing. The PS4 is the market leader of the 8th generation, but it's been done before. It's not the "first" in that regard. Sony has released the same basic product since the PS1. They didn't even change the controller until this generation lol. They're followers, not creative leaders. Nintendo are the creative leaders as far as hardware goes. Does that mean they're always the market leader? Nope, not at all. But creatively, hell yeah. They're always taking risks and trying something new. 

RolStoppable said:
Vertigo-X said:

I'd like to note: While this is the current and recent future situation, that is not to say that Sony will stay out of the handheld business forever more. One of the principal weaknesses to Sony's handheld strategies from PSP to the Vita was the use of expensive, proprietary memory cards. If they designed a successor for Vita to be more accessible (internal storage and standard expandable storage, for example) and bundle it with a stream box connected to the TV, they could have a legitimate competitor to Switch.

Looking forward to getting my hands on Switch at launch!

And what games would Sony have?

Hard for me to say; it'd all boil down to their strategy. Like with PSP/Vita/DS/3DS, they could have exclusive games for their handheld or ports of older games. That's the fickle thing about the games industry. Getting developers on board to develop games is one obstacle to overcome, but if it's not enough to convince consumers, then they (developers) abandon ship pretty fast.

The BuShA owns all!

Thanks for all the work you put into this Rol. I appreciate the original interview and your "Nintendo FAQ" as well.

No one knows what Switch will do on the market, but it's definitely set to surpass WiiU. Where WiiU was chasing Sony and Microsoft, playing an unwinnable game, Switch is setting up a value proposition outside the sphere of influence of PlayStation, Xbox, and the AAA games that sustain them.

It's targeted at Nintendo gamers, portable gamers, lapsed gamers, and all the millions of gamers whose needs aren't being met by the competition. Unlike WiiU, the value, philosophy, and identity of the Switch is understandable immediately.

pray4mojo said:
Soundwave said:

It's a nice PR spin, but for those of us who actually remember a time when Nintendo meant great Nintendo 1st, 2nd, AND all the 3rd party support in the world, it rings kinda hollow. The only difference is now we have fewer software diversity on Nintendo platforms and long droughts neither of which is "fun", nor is Nintendo's obsession with trying to win back the mini-game audience, it's more desperate than original in a way, that was original *10 years* ago. 1,2 Switch is something that could have been on the original Wii and it looks inferior to even Wii Sports ... I personally don't call that progress. 

There is a number 1 and it's this:

You obviously took what he said on face value. He didn't mean being unique makes you the market leader. He meant that by being "one of a kind" you're atuomatically number one at what you're doing because there's simply no one else competeing. The PS4 is the market leader of the 8th generation, but it's been done before. It's not the "first" in that regard. Sony has released the same basic product since the PS1. They didn't even change the controller until this generation lol. They're followers, not creative leaders. Nintendo are the creative leaders as far as hardware goes. Does that mean they're always the market leader? Nope, not at all. But creatively, hell yeah. They're always taking risks and trying something new. 

What makes no one else doing it? Many of the third party games are already on other consoles, and even Nintendo games themselves have at least something similar on other consoles.

Around the Network

Their newfound relationship with Nvidia also gives them a clear advantage in the handheld space while still being an attractive proposition as a secondary or even primary console in the home space. The Switch simply has the right concept, tech, brand and software to make the Shield idea actually work.

Also, it's functionality as a handheld along with brand recognition in Japan almost guarantee dominance in that market. If the Switch manages to displace the Vita in Japan, I don't see Sony make any attempt to recover that market. They have become much more western focused since the PS3 launched.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Tagging for a later read.

I also half-suspected this was going to be a bait thread, with a video of "We are Number One." Glad I checked it out instead.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Blue, red and purple? The only colors that will really matter to Nintendo will be on their spreadsheets and they are red and black. This is one time Nintendo does not want to see red.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

pray4mojo said:

They didn't really changed the controller this gen either. They just tweaked it.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

I read it all
Time to go back to work
thanks