By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I hardly buy games at full retail price. Do you?

Turkish said:
Yes, not sure how this is even a question. If I want something I buy it, I'm not that poor to be happy about saving $20 buy waiting a few weeks/months to play hotly anticipated games like Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2 or Nioh.

Millionares are often the most frugal of people.  You don't have to be poor to be smart with your money.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network

Thanks to a shared Amazon Prime account, I technically never have to pay full price for games.

Ofc, that doesn't mean I buy everything. Unless it's a game I know I want or will, I don't mind waiting for a price cut, and I have a large enough backlog anyways.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

life is too short to wait months to save $20.

Cobretti2 said:

If it were 20 $... Nowadays you get a game at release for 60 USD and spends 40 more on DLC. Waiting one year you get all the content for a quarter of the original price.

Most of the time I do, but then again, I don't buy that many games these days, and I usually just buy the ones I really want.... or niche games I feel will disappear if I don't act quick.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

I never buy games at full retail anymore, as I get 20% new software at Best Buy. Even so, I have probably only pre-ordered 3-4 games in my life, and picked up another 3-4 at launch. I almost always wait for a price drop, or buy used. Over the last few years, at least in the US, it seems like most big games go on sale within a few weeks of release anyway.

invetedlotus123 said:
Cobretti2 said:

If it were 20 $... Nowadays you get a game at release for 60 USD and spends 40 more on DLC. Waiting one year you get all the content for a quarter of the original price.

i could be dead in a year. why wait if i can enjoy now someting that looks appealing.

Cloudman said:
Most of the time I do, but then again, I don't buy that many games these days, and I usually just buy the ones I really want.... or niche games I feel will disappear if I don't act quick.

Thankfully, I've kept a pretty close eye one most of these.  The one I've recently missed was Gravity Rush Remastered.  But when a niche title I want goes out of print and I haven't gotten it yet, I try to snatch right then before to scalpers close in.

On PC I always wait a while before buying a game because I know it's just a matter of months before it's cheaper on a Steam sale. On my Nintendo consoles though I usually just buy full-price, can't be bothered to wait for a sale (Most Nintendo games never go down in price anyways).

Very rarely, but more often in the past 5-6 years, this is mostly due to simply having a much better economy. I'm generally skeptical about day one purchases as there are often technical issues, and like OP says, it's sometimes hard to justify full price for what the game is.
Games that I wait ages for, or belonging in franchises I know I love are exempt from this thinking though, it's more about the fringe titles that I'm unsure of or games that just suddenly show up on your radar close to release.
With my full price purchases, I probably regret about half of them.