By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Switch a Home console or a Portable console?

Si which is it?

Home console 22 10.73%

Portable console 61 29.76%

Both 122 59.51%

Total:205

Fact is that in TV mode games are running at higher resolution than they in portable mode, so you can't really say just "portable that can hook up to television". Don't pretend that Switch is just a PSP beacuse its not, fact is that Switch has all functionalities and act like real home console in TV mod, while act like real handheld in portable mode. Whole Switch is designed in way that can be used and act like real home console or like real handheld.

Around the Network

It's mainly a portable with home console DNA built into it (ie splitscreen), hence the hybrid.

EDIT: Poll is wrong, it should say handheld not portable.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Considering the form factor and the games it seems more like an home console that can be carried around rather than an handheld that can ne attached to the TV.

It's whatever you want it to be. Home, portable, tablet, chopping board ...

I think there´s nothing much to discuss about that. it´s an hybrid.
It can be what you want or need: a home console or a portable console. But... Nintendo is marketing it as a home console.

Around the Network

The Switch is the XL version of the 3DS successor with the smaller version following soon. It also uses mobile hardware which in no possible way can compete with PS4 and X1. Nintendo left console gaming with the Switch, the failed Wii-U is Nintendo's last and final home console and will not get a successor.

It's both (Console when it's docked and handheld when it's detached).

It depends on how it sells. If it sells well people will label it as a handheld so it's not as impressive and if it sells bad they will label it as a home console to make it look bad.

I chose portable. It's a completely self contained console that can be used on the go. I can understand those that want to select "Both". Selecting "Home console" makes no sense to me.

4 ≈ One

I see it as a hand held that happens to connect to the t v and I gotta say I have absolutely no problem with that. Portable consoles suit my needs these days and I never met a portable Nintendo console I didn't like.