By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Switch a Home console or a Portable console?

Si which is it?

Home console 22 10.73%

Portable console 61 29.76%

Both 122 59.51%

Total:205
Rab said:
If we get an about even vote for console and handheld, that will only reinforce the option for it actually being both

I literally just voted portable by mistake lol but it looks like the consensus is it's hybrid.

Around the Network

Can we ban people for making this thread?

Seriously. How many times do we have to discuss this same exact dead horse.

RolStoppable said:

I read the entire OP now. You are saying this is not a joke thread despite the first line clearly indicating it as such?

"First off, lets get this outta the way... it can do both. But the point of this thread is to settle it once and for all exactly what it is."

You are basically saying it's a hybrid, but now we have to find out if it's a home console or a portable console. This reminds me of Earthworm Jim 2's quiz that had the question "What color is Jim's red gun?" and the three given choices were blue, green and yellow. Then in the body of the original post you start to argue that the Wii was not a home console.

What matters for the question if Switch is a hybrid is if it can truly do what a home console can do and what a handheld console can do. Owners of previous Nintendo home consoles will find that they can use multiple controllers and local multiplayer is the same as it has always been. Which features are lost with Switch? If you want to argue that Switch does not do what a home console does, then you have to make some strong points to support such an argument. Arguing that the Wii is not a home console will get you nowhere.

What something can do.... and what it is.... are two very different things.

I don't know why it is so hard for you and some others to just respond to a thread without having to first attck the thread itself or the poster.

here look..... you see the bolded part of your post? Was that really necessary when you still just went on to give a proper opinionated answer anyways?

And what is all this talk about the wii? I doubt i even mentioned wii once. Unless you meant to say Switch I am guessing. 

Intrinsic said:
RolStoppable said:

[snip]

And what is all this talk about the wii? I doubt i even mentioned wii once. Unless you meant to say Switch I am guessing. 

No. He really meant the Wii.

Re-read your second "HOME" paragraph.

It is insane the power a company has when it insists something is not what it seems.

How about an iPhone? Must be a TV, a Tablet, a Mac, and much more, right? Or is that just a Smartphone?

I could go on with a million different ways to look at this, but you can not logically look at this as anything other than a portable device that docks to the TV. Nintendo can live in this delusional world all it wants, but reality is reality.

Anyways, coming up next is my new car audio system, it features a PS4, a 65" Z9D display, and 9.2ch surround via a Sony STR-ZA5000ES and Sony Speakers.

See PS4 is a car audio component as well, and so is Xbox One.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Hmmm... I am beginning to notice that this topic seems to have the more Nintendo inclined in this forum vexed for some reason.

Maybe a mod should lock this thread. I don't see it ending well. A neutral coming in here would think I was somehow trolling Nintendo or something. Which was in no way my intention. Like we aren't allowed to have constructive discussions anymore.

KBG29 said:
It is insane the power a company has when it insists something is not what it seems.

How about an iPhone? Must be a TV, a Tablet, a Mac, and much more, right? Or is that just a Smartphone?

I could go on with a million different ways to look at this, but you can not logically look at this as anything other than a portable device that docks to the TV. Nintendo can live in this delusional world all it wants, but reality is reality.

Anyways, coming up next is my new car audio system, it features a PS4, a 65" Z9D display, and 9.2ch surround via a Sony STR-ZA5000ES and Sony Speakers.

See PS4 is a car audio component as well, and so is Xbox One.

So the Wii U is a portable as well?

Hynad said:

No. He really meant the Wii.

Re-read your second "HOME" paragraph.

I still don't see the connection, Thw wii was released in 2006 right? Wasn't it more powerful than the curreny handheld then the 2DS? Wasn't it still more powerful than the 3DS that was released 5 years later?

So what about what I said makes the wii not be a home console?

I don't know why people have to obsess over this. It can be either, or both. It's not complicated.

RolStoppable said:

It's not easy to refrain from ridiculing something that is ridiculous, so you'll have to expect and accept ridicule.

Here's how you define a home console in detail:

"HOME: Frome the ground up this is designed knowing it will be tethered to a wall. What this means is that making it compact and "power efficient" isn't going to be a core design philosophy. It will have a big chip, it will draw a lot of power, will need a sizeable PCU, and be made with components that typically draw significantly more power than you would find in a portable solution. This also means that it will be more powerful too."

Being compact and power efficient were core design philosophies of the Wii. Your definition for home consoles is bad. And because your premise is bad, your logical conclusion starting from that premise also turns out bad. You have to reconsider your definition for home consoles because it's wrong.

No. My definition is actually on point. case in point, look at the handhelds that were released shortly before and after the wii. Both were weaker in comaprison. Nintenod has just chosen not to focus on sony/ms levels of power. That doesn't mean the wii wasnt a home console. Besides, my definitions consideredother parameters in addition to what you are sigling out. The power of the console is just one option.

Further more, in my OP, I went on to point out why I don't even feel the power thing is a goodd way to qualify devices. So I really don't get what you point is.

I would have said something about your "ridiculing refeence" and the tsance you seem to have taken in this thread? But I am gonna leave it alone and simply avoid responding to you going forward. Thanks for your input as always.

Intrinsic said:

HOME: There is a device that is permanently tethered to a power source and a TV. Without either (if you take away any one of those components), the device is nothing but a paper weight. 

• This honestly is why I think the power or "type of games" argument is a bad one to use to qualify what kinda device anything is. Because when we have th tech that allows even better games to fit into a portable form factor we also will have the tech that allows games in a console form factor that the portable simply cannot run. It may not sound like a lot now, but in 2/3yrs it will become clear when everyone kinda knows that there is a library of games they simply have no access to and not because devs don't wanna make them but that the hardware can't run. That distiction will create a home console and a portable library along with expectaions on what to get from each.
    So thats my reasoning. The switch is a very powerful handheld console, that just happens to llow you plug it to a TV and was designed to that end. And not that its a very powerful home console, that can magically be taken on the go and played. 

I also said these.... don'tsee how you could have read these and be saying what you are saying now. Does the wii fall into the category of the definition of home console above? Also from my OP.

And look at the second point, can you see me saying power isn't a good way to qualify devices?

I think in your attempt to try and ridicule me, you re just coming off as.... well. Lets just leave it alone.