By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Switch a Home console or a Portable console?

Si which is it?

Home console 22 10.73%

Portable console 61 29.76%

Both 122 59.51%

Total:205

Seen this a few times already, but I'll still say it's both, because that is what it is intended to be, not that I think it really matters though :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
A_C_E said:
KBG29 said:
It is insane the power a company has when it insists something is not what it seems.

How about an iPhone? Must be a TV, a Tablet, a Mac, and much more, right? Or is that just a Smartphone?

I could go on with a million different ways to look at this, but you can not logically look at this as anything other than a portable device that docks to the TV. Nintendo can live in this delusional world all it wants, but reality is reality.

Anyways, coming up next is my new car audio system, it features a PS4, a 65" Z9D display, and 9.2ch surround via a Sony STR-ZA5000ES and Sony Speakers.

See PS4 is a car audio component as well, and so is Xbox One.

So the Wii U is a portable as well?

Really as long as we are calling things whatever we want, WiiU can be whatever one would like. I hear the term paper weight thrown around a lot for cosnoles and handhelds as well. There are some nice looking consoles and handhelds, but I tend to find them a tad expensive for such a task. Oh, and the other very popular label, is dust collector. Funny thing is, a console collects more dust when it is in use and sucking particales in via the fan, but this term is typically used for systems which arn't being used. I guess that you could argue that they are using these terms, to describe the device current primary use. 

The funny thing with this situation, is as big of a fan as I am of handhelds, and as much as I play them, I typically play them in my room. They are barley more portable than the consoles. I would say 90% of my portable gaming is done in my room, with 5% in the rest room, and 5% in the factory. On the console side, 60% is played in the living room, about 20% in the bedroom, and 20% in the office. Now days I have multiple consoles, but back when I was a kid, we used to play the N64, PS1, and PS2 all over the place and we only had one. So the same device would be played in my brothers room, my room, the livingroom, and at multiple friends houses. 

Honestly at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. I see Switch as a portable, others see it as a hybrid, Nintendo calls it a Home console. Whatever it is labeled as, it is going to sell what it will sell, and it will play the games its going to play.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
A_C_E said:

So the Wii U is a portable as well?

Really as long as we are calling things whatever we want, WiiU can be whatever one would like. I hear the term paper weight thrown around a lot for cosnoles and handhelds as well. There are some nice looking consoles and handhelds, but I tend to find them a tad expensive for such a task. Oh, and the other very popular label, is dust collector. Funny thing is, a console collects more dust when it is in use and sucking particales in via the fan, but this term is typically used for systems which arn't being used. I guess that you could argue that they are using these terms, to describe the device current primary use. 

The funny thing with this situation, is as big of a fan as I am of handhelds, and as much as I play them, I typically play them in my room. They are barley more portable than the consoles. I would say 90% of my portable gaming is done in my room, with 5% in the rest room, and 5% in the factory. On the console side, 60% is played in the living room, about 20% in the bedroom, and 20% in the office. Now days I have multiple consoles, but back when I was a kid, we used to play the N64, PS1, and PS2 all over the place and we only had one. So the same device would be played in my brothers room, my room, the livingroom, and at multiple friends houses. 

Honestly at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. I see Switch as a portable, others see it as a hybrid, Nintendo calls it a Home console. Whatever it is labeled as, it is going to sell what it will sell, and it will play the games its going to play.

This conversation seems pretty much done, not in a bad way, peope are allowed to have differing opinions but I've got my input out there and yeah we can agree that the Switch will sell what the Switch will sell.

It's a portable console, that can connect to a TV. I do not know why this is so confusing for people.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

It's a hybrid.

Now, rather than get my back fur up about a simple question, which is pretty silly when you think about it, I'll just explain my reasoning.

Calling it a hybrid, I think, is an important distinction because it implies that compromises in design were necessary for it to function in both environments. With the Switch, it's on the large side and somewhat lacks in mobility for a handheld, while on the home console side, it's somewhat under powered while still being fairly expensive. I believe it's the very definition of what makes a "hybrid".

Around the Network

This was my reply about the topic in the amazon thread.

Switch  is a hybrid, so both home and handheld console. Someone could call it portable home console. What you say, is an oversimplification. 

The handheld part has detachable controllers, when you disconnect them, what do you have? Not a handheld console, but a screen/or tablet you could say, this attaches to a dock, screen turns  off when its placed inside the dock, content is streamed on tv via an hdmi and we get a home console, of which the brain is the screen/tablet. The detachable controllers of the screen/tablet connect to a grip  to make the controller of the home console.  You are talking as if switch is like a 3DS, but you can play it on tv with a cable and  a dock.  .

Anyway, Nintendo calls it a home console first and foremost, so what I'm telling or you're telling doesn't matter! 

Is this just a tablet that links  to a keyboard? It  Is a tablet that when connects to keyboard creates a laptop, with your logic it's still a tablet when its attached to the keyboard, while is obviously like a laptop.

I guess you mean that  switch is primarly a handheld console and not  mainly a home console, I can't believe that you really consider it a handheld console only that connects to tv with a dock. Low power for a home console todays doesn't nullify its home console capabilities.

I think you would consider it a home console if it was like wii u? Main console and tablet controller, with the difference of the tablet controller having a cartidge slot as the main console? However, that would be handheld console ( which can be used as a controller )  and home console bundled together, not a hybrid.

P.s

I was curious to see your reply to rol about wii because Ι dechipered the same thing with him from you arguments... Surely, you were not meaning that wii isn't a home console but your arguments lead to that conclusion, wii was exactly the opposite of what you described ( things get reinvented sometimes ). You could just skipped the part about philosophy and perfomance. It's kinda stereotypical.

You did right to start that discussion and I like that you don't downplay or taunt implicitly or explicitly Nintendo, you simply  express your opinion with arguments, grounded or groundless, at least you have arguments, without dogmatism, unlike a specific other person, not in that thread.

It's a mobile phone without phone or android/ios games. But at least it has an HDMI out.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
It's a mobile phone without phone or android/ios games. But at least it has an HDMI out.

LOL

It is way closer to that than a console. Very well played!

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

It's a portable that can be used as a home console, because technically, you never have to take it out of the dock if you don't feel like it, that's how I see it. If your focus is power though, PC is still the answer. If you want to focus on exclusives, all platforms have them, so really, this is a pointless thread that will have counter arguments from all angles and achieve absolutely nothing.

We are at the cross point right now where the power of mobile devices is catching up faster and faster due to how efficient we can make the hardware run on lower electricity requirements. Which is why we are seeing full blown Pascal GPUs in small format laptops, so the line will start to blur more and more from always connected to power devices and portable devices unless you are an eccentric PC gamer or power user. If the Switch sells well enough, Sony and MS will follow Nintendo's steps in the future just like they did with motion controls. That's all there is to it in reality. People's opinions on what the Switch is, ultimately doesn't really matter much. I personally just want to play video games lol.

It's anything you want it to be. It can be a home console. It can be a handheld. It can be a friggin tabletop tablet. Depending on your preferences, it can be any of those things, or one.

For me, personally, it is all those things, because I intend to use all those modes. To you, and anyone else, it is whatever you end up doing with it.