By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I know why the Switch Pro controller is so expensive

gabzjmm23 said:
The_Yoda said:

My switch will be showing up on release day but unless I absolutely hate the joy-cons then I won't be spending $70 on one of these... I have a feeling that I will hate the joy-cons though (I already hate their name).

if you really want the 'standard' controller, getting a pro should be fine.  bought the wii u pro controller together with the console back then.  would happen to Switch for me once I've decided to buy it.  :)

Yeah I have two of the WiiU Pro controlers (would have only bought one but I made my buddies kid laugh while he was playing and he spit grape soda on the first one making the A button sticky). I like the look of the new pro and hope it really does have a superior battery as I'd guess I'll end up buying at least one sometime down the road.  I just hate to spend that much on a controller.

Around the Network
TomaTito said:
Yomieeee said:
I have no problem paying for it. The Wii U Pro controller is my favorite controller thus far and it's what I use for PC gaming. The Switch Pro looks even better.

How do you connect your WiiU Pro controller? That's something that can add extra value, if it worked natively on the PC as well.

I just connect it via bluetooth and a program called WiinUSoft. Fast and easy.

Yomieeee said:
TomaTito said:

How do you connect your WiiU Pro controller? That's something that can add extra value, if it worked natively on the PC as well.

I just connect it via bluetooth and a program called WiinUSoft. Fast and easy.

Ah yes, I tried that in the past without success... just tried it again and got it working with the Windows stack.
I'm off to play around with it, thanks! 

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

The_Yoda said:
gabzjmm23 said:

if you really want the 'standard' controller, getting a pro should be fine.  bought the wii u pro controller together with the console back then.  would happen to Switch for me once I've decided to buy it.  :)

Yeah I have two of the WiiU Pro controlers (would have only bought one but I made my buddies kid laugh while he was playing and he spit grape soda on the first one making the A button sticky). I like the look of the new pro and hope it really does have a superior battery as I'd guess I'll end up buying at least one sometime down the road.  I just hate to spend that much on a controller.

if you are into fighting games, i think the pro controller would still be the main go-to controller.  played most of my games in Wii U using a pro controller, unless the game need that 2nd screen.  Since Switch and the controller is out of stock,  the earliest I think I'll buy a Switch would be by Christmas holidays, worst case 2nd or 3rd year of the Switch. But would love to support the Switch once Fifa 18 and NBA 2k18 is released, and hopefully not a gimped version. 

I bought a pack of USB cables back when I got my new phone in October. The $70 fee isn't too bad but it could be better.

It was six Belkin cables for $16.99 but the offer doesn't appear to be there anymore.

Around the Network
gabzjmm23 said:
The_Yoda said:

if you are into fighting games, i think the pro controller would still be the main go-to controller.  played most of my games in Wii U using a pro controller, unless the game need that 2nd screen.  Since Switch and the controller is out of stock,  the earliest I think I'll buy a Switch would be by Christmas holidays, worst case 2nd or 3rd year of the Switch. But would love to support the Switch once Fifa 18 and NBA 2k18 is released, and hopefully not a gimped version. 

I agree when it comes to fighters (most games I used the pro controller for the WiiU - Splatoon included).

Big Tekken fan here, but after the way Tag2 preformed on the WiiU (which is sad since it seemed like the best version) I don't know that they will bring 7 to the platform. They have denied it, back in January but you know how that goes. This seems a little more hopeful but it is older. If I knew it was coming to switch I would wait and show my support of the series on that platform, but if there aren't any solid rumors and I finish Zelda quickly then I'll buy T7 for the PS4.

Not sure if this is real or not

The_Yoda said:
gabzjmm23 said:

I agree when it comes to fighters (most games I used the pro controller for the WiiU - Splatoon included).

Big Tekken fan here, but after the way Tag2 preformed on the WiiU (which is sad since it seemed like the best version) I don't know that they will bring 7 to the platform. They have denied it, back in January but you know how that goes. This seems a little more hopeful but it is older. If I knew it was coming to switch I would wait and show my support of the series on that platform, but if there aren't any solid rumors and I finish Zelda quickly then I'll buy T7 for the PS4.

Not sure if this is real or not

that arcade stick if it is true, would really help on the bringing the fighting game crowd to Switch.  and the big fighting franchise would come as well. 

bananaking21 said:
Because they are a ripoff. That's why

Yeah, HD Rumble, NFC functionalities, the same more advanced motion sensors of the joy-cons, a cable and a battery that lasts longer than competiton... for $10 more. Such a rip off, righ?

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

bananaking21 said:
tbone51 said:

Its $10 more than the ps4/x1. I wouldnt call that a rip off. It has the hd rumble inside. Its basically that

i dont know where you guys buy your controllers, but looking for a good deal is easy enough. i bought a new controller for 35 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/DualShock-Wireless-Controller-PlayStation-Black-CUH-ZCT2/dp/B01LWVX2RG/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1486742705&sr=1-2&keywords=playstation+4+controller

here, for 43$ on amazon you can get a PS4 controller. thats 27$ cheaper. 

Could you find those amazing deals at launch? Remember PS4 is over 3 years old, of course finding deals on accessories will be easy compared to the device that hasn't even launched yet.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

LipeJJ said:
bananaking21 said:
Because they are a ripoff. That's why

Yeah, HD Rumble, NFC functionalities, the same more advanced motion sensors of the joy-cons, a cable and a battery that lasts longer than competiton... for $10 more. Such a rip off, righ?

Yep, it's a ripoff even though we have absolutely no idea what the profit margin is, for all we know Nintendo could be making the same or less profit than Sony/Microsoft make on their controllers.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.