By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2017 NPD Thread! PS4 #1

Bandorr said:
Gravity Rush delayed forced it to run into a lot of competition.

FSN, Tales, Resident evil, KH 2.8 etc.

Plus there is still no time for it next month because of Nioh, and Horizon.
Followed by Nier, DQ 2, and Persona 5.

It basically needed to not be delayed to chart well.

And the reason GR2 got delayed was because TLG got delayed. The chain reaction basically screwed GR2 over. Hopefully, Raven's DLC will reinvigorate interest a bit, but there's nothing much it can do other than a big discount.

Around the Network

I know basically no country save Japan cares about Gravity Rush (and even they're not head over heels about it - I think GR 2 has done about 100k) but still to have it bomb so hard is disappointing. English speakers just seem immune to the game's charm, for some reason. I can't really explain why it's so much less popular than some other Japanese games, as it features gameplay that would seemingly be appealing. 

Ah well, at least GR2 is a great sequel. 

Ariakon said:

I know basically no country save Japan cares about Gravity Rush (and even they're not head over heels about it - I think GR 2 has done about 100k) but still to have it bomb so hard is disappointing. English speakers just seem immune to the game's charm, for some reason. I can't really explain why it's so much less popular than some other Japanese games, as it features gameplay that would seemingly be appealing. 

Ah well, at least GR2 is a great sequel. 

Cant really care about a game if you dont know it exists. this game didn't seem to get much of a marketing push, if it werent for me visiting this site & Neogaf almost daily than i probably would have never heard of it.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

“Thanks to continued support by our fans, 2017 is off to a strong start as Xbox One game hours grew 21 percent year-over-year,” Mike Nichols, corporate vice president of Xbox Marketing,

How is this particularly good news? It appears that xbox ownership has increased by 41% YoY, so if Xbox hours have only increased by 21% that means gamers are spending substantially fewer hours, even thought tehre is a much bigger game library now than there was in Jan 2016.

When you think about it, that actually sounds like bad news if it's an across the board phenomenon for all consoles. If people are spending fewer hours on console, that means they are less likely to buy another console in future because they won't see it as a good cost vs time investment. Their leisure hours are being fulfilled by other things, and so they will spend their money on those otehr things.

PS4 down YoY, not great.

Xb one up YoY, a little bit surprised. Is it specials or soething? I would think 2017 will be a bit of a down year while Scoprio anticipation builds up. Scorpio might turn the year positive, but I would expect things to drop YoY until then.

Amazon getting it right again.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Shadow1980 said:

Well, look like December was the last time we'll ever get any NPD hardware numbers.

You will get numbers when the gap is small. Windows central or whatever its called are like that.

Around the Network
binary solo said:

“Thanks to continued support by our fans, 2017 is off to a strong start as Xbox One game hours grew 21 percent year-over-year,” Mike Nichols, corporate vice president of Xbox Marketing,

How is this particularly good news? It appears that xbox ownership has increased by 41% YoY, so if Xbox hours have only increased by 21% that means gamers are spending substantially fewer hours, even thought tehre is a much bigger game library now than there was in Jan 2016.

When you think about it, that actually sounds like bad news if it's an across the board phenomenon for all consoles. If people are spending fewer hours on console, that means they are less likely to buy another console in future because they won't see it as a good cost vs time investment. Their leisure hours are being fulfilled by other things, and so they will spend their money on those otehr things.

PS4 down YoY, not great.

Xb one up YoY, a little bit surprised. Is it specials or soething? I would think 2017 will be a bit of a down year while Scoprio anticipation builds up. Scorpio might turn the year positive, but I would expect things to drop YoY until then.

Amazon getting it right again.

Where did you get that?

Shadow1980 said:

I messaged Jez from WC to see if he was able to get hold of hardware numbers. Hopefully we hear something.

Oh yeah, last time Windows Central leaked numbers the Wednesday after the December NPD winner was announced. I wonder what's holding them up. NPD ninjas?

Aura7541 said:
Shadow1980 said:

I messaged Jez from WC to see if he was able to get hold of hardware numbers. Hopefully we hear something.

Oh yeah, last time Windows Central leaked numbers the Wednesday after the December NPD winner was announced. I wonder what's holding them up. NPD ninjas?

They posted an article on it, but oddly enough they didn't have any numbers, AND Jez Corden didn't write it, AND they referenced their December NPD post: http://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-enjoyed-its-best-january-yet-still-lost-out-playstation-4-us-sales

That comment section is a bit of a cesspool

KH 2.8 domination! WOOO! Wish we had numbers for it.

Bandorr said:
 I found those Windows central comments hilarious.

MS hold all the cards right now. 

There's games in PS4s list this year ( if they don't get pushed back again ) that are just massive duds."And gets royaly destroyed by Elite Dangerous in every single way."