By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2017 NPD Thread! PS4 #1

Neodegenerate said:
Kerotan said:

Of course it's coming this generation.  You think they'll miss out on the massive install base that will exist in the last year of this gen?  not only that but releasing it a year later on next gen will ensure double dippers.  And another year later on pc for triple dippers. 

It worked perfectly with gta V so why wouldn't they do it again? This gen won't end until after rockstar release gta vi.  The console manufacturers would be stupid too. 

Hell with the way things worked for GTA V I wouldn't be surprised to see that be the staple for all gens going forward.  GTA # released on last legs years of current gen, remastered and re-released early in the next gen, rinse repeat.

Agreed.  I think we just found the template for the end of every gen.  

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

How can it be interpreted any other way?

His words aren't "there are still major first/third party games coming" he literally says right there in the post that you quoted that Call of Duty is the only major console mover.

Just relax man.... after whatever misunderstanding my initial post led to I have repeatedly emphasized exactly what I was trying to say or at least the context with which I was referring to. Yet you are still going on as If I havn't made myself Clear(er). I have veen given the list of games in particular I am referring to multiple times. And for the sake of clarity I weill do it again.

Sony's biggest first party title is Gran Turismo. It has not made an appearance this gen.

The biggest Third party title on the planate as far as moving software and hardware (outside of COD) is GTA. And by that I mean GTA6 not GTA5 that was a remaster.That too has not made an appearance yet.

So the point I was making is that there are still some titles that have the potential to move consoles this gen that are yet to make a debut. And that so far the PS4 has coasted on the wings of mostly new IPs (destiny is a new IP most attributable to moving new units) with a mixture of albeit lots of other great games but games tht individually won't be referred to as hardware movers. 

Outside COD, the single stand out games that are historically known to move hardware have not yet made their official next gen showing.

The problem is that you keep retracting immediately after clarifying.

You clarified after my original response to you then went on to say, "its coasting on new IP and a few older ones"

You just clarified again then went on to say, "Outside COD, the single stand out games that are historically known to move hardware have not yet made their official next gen showing."

You can't clarify then go back to stating the things I originally disputed with you on.

"You're misunderstanding, I'm not saying PS4 lacks major system sellers, I'm saying it still has major system sellers yet to release....................and PS4 lacks major system sellers." This is essentially what all of responses have been.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

"You're misunderstanding, I'm not saying PS4 lacks major system sellers, I'm saying it still has major system sellers yet to release....................and PS4 lacks major system sellers." This is essentially what all of responses have been.

Wait what? smh......

Ok, the original post I made was in response to an opinion that the PS4 may have peaked.

Everything I said that followed was to empasize that regardless of how successful the PS4 has been so far, there are still some really (typically) big hardware movers that have not made an appearance this generation and as thus, the PS4 may not yet have peaked.

Better now?

Not surprised PS4 won or that Xbone is up YOY. Its been selling better since the Xbone S launched.

Am surprised so many people on the Internets fell for Gamestops poor wording of MSs PR though.

Wasn't Software meant to be out already?

Around the Network
GProgrammer said:
Wasn't Software meant to be out already?

in 18 minutes. 

Software

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Grand Theft Auto V
Battlefield 1
NBA 2K17
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
Madden NFL 17
Watch Dogs 2
Overwatch*
FIFA 17
*Does not include Battle.net sales

Hardware

Sony continues to have momentum with the PlayStation 4.

“The PlayStation 4 was the best-selling hardware (in units sold) during January 2017,” said Naji. “And for the fourth consecutive month, PlayStation 4 Slim System 500GB Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Bundle was the top-selling PS4 sku in terms of units sold.”
http://venturebeat.com/2017/02/16/january-2017-npd-resident-evil-7-lifts-slumping-hardware-sales/

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/44122/nintendo-sales-panic-january-2017-us-npd-group-results

A light January for Nintendo releases and supply issues caused a bit of a hardware slump in the January US sales survey issued by the NPD Group.

In hardware, supply constraints for the 3DS and the Wii U in the wake of the Switch announcement actually caused the NES Classic (itself supply constrained) to be the 3rd-best selling hardware of the month behind the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Preorder numbers for the Switch are not included in the NPD's report, as they will be rolled into the March sales survey expected in mid-late April.

On the software side, the big new release for Nintendo platforms was Dragon Quest VIII, which ended up as the 3rd best selling handheld title in January behind Pokémon Sun and Moon. Neither title, nor any other game on Nintendo systems, broached the top combined top 10 headed by Capcom's Resident Evil 7.

Wii U top 10 best sellers:

1. Minecraft
  2. Paper Mario: Color Splash
  3. Super Smash Bros
  4. Pokkén Tournament
  5. New Super Mario Bros U + Luigi U
  6. Super Mario Maker
  7. Super Mario 3D World
  8. Splatoon
  9. Yoshi's Woolly World
  10. Just Dance 2017

Handheld (3DS) top 10 best sellers: