Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch doesn't have a "Triangle" button

Kingdom Hearts missing Switch confirmed?LOL



Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Hiku said:

Dualshock 4 doesn't have a Start or a Select button.
Imagine that.

It actually took me some time to adapt to it, lol.
I was impulsively trying to hit start and was hitting the touchpad instead, and having no select whatsoever (at least the options works both as the start and select) and hitting the share button was annoying.
Back to my DS3 early this week I kept trying to hit the option button on it, hitting the controller above the start, lol.

Yeah I'm still not quite used to the button layout some times.
But I'm surpirsed Select was even a thing for as long as it was. Not that an extra button wasn't useful, but why call it select? I know some very old NES games didn't allow you to navigate the main title screen menu, and you had to press Select to scroll down in order to "select" a different option, but besides that, I don't know.
Come to think of it, the Start button is a weird name too. Before it used to say "Press Start" on the title screen. But they could have simply changed that to "Press any button". Which they did.



Hiku said:
BraLoD said:

It actually took me some time to adapt to it, lol.
I was impulsively trying to hit start and was hitting the touchpad instead, and having no select whatsoever (at least the options works both as the start and select) and hitting the share button was annoying.
Back to my DS3 early this week I kept trying to hit the option button on it, hitting the controller above the start, lol.

Yeah I'm still not quite used to the button layout some times.
But I'm surpirsed Select was even a thing for as long as it was. Not that an extra button wasn't useful, but why call it select? I know some very old NES games didn't allow you to navigate the main title screen menu, and you had to press Select to scroll down in order to "select" a different option, but besides that, I don't know.
Come to think of it, the Start button is a weird name too. Before it used to say "Press Start" on the title screen. But they could have simply changed that to "Press any button". Which they did.

Start was always spot on, as it was the Pause/Start button, so either Pause or Start was what it should be called indeed xP
The select button did a lot of different functions and was even useless in some games, so I dunno what they could ever have called it that would fit well for any game, maybe Extra?



joora said:
potato_hamster said:

So we are wrong to question Nintendo's experience and research when they developed the Switch because they got it wrong with the N64, got it wrong with the gamecube, got it wrong with the Wii U, but got it right with the Wii. That's 3 consoles of 4 over a 20+ year period that missed the mark, but we should totally trust that Nintendo currently has its finger on the pulse of the gaming industry because they made the Wii. 12 years ago. Brilliant.

The same company also made: NES, SNES, DS, 3DS, Gameboy, GBA (and failures as VirtualBoy, GC, and Wii U, I think N64 wasn't a failure). It has 10 billion $ cash on hand, and was highly profitable almost every year based on production and sales of gaming related hardware and software and gaming related merch.

But please, do tell me how they are clueless when it comes to gaming hardware design.

Also, funny you should mention Gamecube, because it was exactly what "real" or "hardcore" gamers wanted -  the most powerful console of the generation.

Where did I say that Nintendo was clueless? I just said we have a right to question their design decisions. Now, I believe we have a right to question Nintendo's design decisions, as well as Sony's and Microsoft's as we see fit. Your argument was that Nintendo made the Wii, therefore we have no right to question them, which is completely ridiculous.

"Customers do not want online games" - Iwata, 2004

We can always count on Nintendo to know better than us about what we actually want.




Jranation said:
d21lewis said:

True. Some of them are really disappointing. The web browser is one that really hit close to home for me.

 

Xbox One didn't get a headphone jack until mid 2015, though. Just saying.

Oh wow! Really?!?!? Didn't know that. 

a little misleading. The xb1 controller required a stero headset adapter.  Where as now it doesn't even require that.

So with the headset adapter you could use your headset. Pretty much like the latest Iphone.

Where as the switch pro controllers and joycons have no spot for even an adaptor.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Around the Network

Don't bash on Nintendo, they needed the courage to remove the outdated triangle button.



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

potato_hamster said:
joora said:

The same company also made: NES, SNES, DS, 3DS, Gameboy, GBA (and failures as VirtualBoy, GC, and Wii U, I think N64 wasn't a failure). It has 10 billion $ cash on hand, and was highly profitable almost every year based on production and sales of gaming related hardware and software and gaming related merch.

But please, do tell me how they are clueless when it comes to gaming hardware design.

Also, funny you should mention Gamecube, because it was exactly what "real" or "hardcore" gamers wanted -  the most powerful console of the generation.

Where did I say that Nintendo was clueless? I just said we have a right to question their design decisions. Now, I believe we have a right to question Nintendo's design decisions, as well as Sony's and Microsoft's as we see fit. Your argument was that Nintendo made the Wii, therefore we have no right to question them, which is completely ridiculous.

"Customers do not want online games" - Iwata, 2004

We can always count on Nintendo to know better than us about what we actually want.


But of course everyone has the right to question design decisions of any product/company - at least in places that promote free speech. There is no product in any category that would fully satisfy the needs/wants of every person on this planet - if there was, it would be already game over for other companies.

Switch, as any other high-profile mass produced tech product, was result of balancing of numerous factors - research data was one of them. There was also need for distancing from competition, meeting planned budget and time constraints, and so on. Unlike your or my opinion on what the Switch should be or should do/have, Nintendo's opinion is based on much better insight of the needs and wants of large groups of people. Sure, that doesn't necessarily guarantee success (hence WiiU and GC failures), but dismissing a currently hot gaming product (preorders sold out) as a bad design on a basis that it should have a mic jack on a controller or web browser or X feature is a bit naive.

It's obvious that the Switch has a premature launch, but what does the gaming community expect - that the Nintendo execs come out and say "Please don't buy our product, it isn't fully ready for primetime." They obviously expect that the games and innovative features will compensate for the shortcomings. And, judging by initial reactions, they might be right.

Even if everything goes south, all they need is to announce a Switch Pokemon game.

And sorry about the Wii argument, but you do realize that it was just reaction to your Wii U argument, so you were the origin of that bit.

 

Edit: the bit about the premature launch is aimed toward lack of certain software feautres (browser, netflix).



.

You people are seriously pissed that the Switch doesn't have a triangle button?



CaptainExplosion said:
You people are seriously pissed that the Switch doesn't have a triangle button?

Yes and you should too!




Goodnightmoon said:
CaptainExplosion said:
You people are seriously pissed that the Switch doesn't have a triangle button?

Yes and you should too!