Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo Stop Innovating And Make A Traditional Console?

So, what do you think?

No, not at all. Innovatio... 122 33.42%

Not really, but I'd like... 92 25.21%

Don't know. Time will tell? 11 3.01%

Yeah, more less. Traditional is good. 47 12.88%

Absolutely. PS4 and Xbox ... 52 14.25%

What's "traditional" anyway? 19 5.21%

Show me the answers! 22 6.03%

Total:365
Jpcc86 said:

Yes. I love a traditional console that you simply plugin, play with a controller and has enough power to run the company's games as well as third party dev's games. Gimmicky consoles with gimmicky controls are a hassle. The idea that this gen we could've had a console that could run Witcher, Dark Souls, Final Fantasy, MGS and at the same time the Mario franchise, Zelda and Bayonetta will always sound more attractive than anything Sony or Ms have done so far. But no, Nintendo didnt want money. They hate money. Oh my god the stories I could you about how much Nintendo hates money. Anyway. They were all like "screw you, Wii sold a lot, we can do whatever". And so, whatever happened.

Well the GC didnt exactly fly off the shelves either though...

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:

Yes. I love a traditional console that you simply plugin, play with a controller and has enough power to run the company's games as well as third party dev's games. Gimmicky consoles with gimmicky controls are a hassle. The idea that this gen we could've had a console that could run Witcher, Dark Souls, Final Fantasy, MGS and at the same time the Mario franchise, Zelda and Bayonetta will always sound more attractive than anything Sony or Ms have done so far. But no, Nintendo didnt want money. They hate money. Oh my god the stories I could you about how much Nintendo hates money. Anyway. They were all like "screw you, Wii sold a lot, we can do whatever". And so, whatever happened.

In your case, let's just see what they'll do next generation. The Switch is basically the last project of the Iwata philosophy era of Nintendo. Maybe Kimishima or his sucessor will go along the line of what Sony/Microsoft are doing.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Only if they want increased sales and 3rd party support. If they are happy making weaker consoles with cool gimmicks to sell their first party games then they can keep "innovating".

As long as their "innovations" are actual innovations, that serve a purpose, benefit both the consumer and the devs, don't feel forced or like a unnecessary waste of money, then no. The Switch is actually an amazing concept that has mountains of potential, playing AAA quality games on the go is something that people have dreamed of for a long time, it has purpose beyond Nintendo devs having fun experimenting at the stake of their consumers unlike the Wii U Gamepad; which failed on its shallow purpose from day 1, and felt like an unnecessary tumor the Wii U came attached with that for some reason you had to pay for. It didn't even feel like a vital part of their console like the motion controls were for the Wii.

As long as they give the concept a lot of thought before starting developing, it should be okay, I think.

I'm now filled with determination.

That would lead to a console market crash if they made powerful console hardware, every console (PlayStation, Nintendo, Xbox) would be the same and competing over which is more powerful. Powerful 4k systems like the Xbox Scorpio are being rumored to cost $500!!! POWERFUL CONSOLES ARE JUST UNDERPOWERED PC's! People would rather buy a PC then a high power console. If all 3 developed the same type of console I think there would be a console market crash.

However Nintendo always brings something new to the table and its not always a gimmick. Nintendo is the unique one that innovates in gaming through many different ways: touch-screen, motion controls, rumble, hybrid console, etc.

Nintendo would straight out die if they went and made a traditional console; Sony and Microsoft already own that area.

Around the Network

I think from a market POV I'd say no.

They simply can't compete against Sony and MS both, they just are too lazy in execution and way too far out of touch with the modern market to be taken seriously in that role today.

They needed really to get it right with the GameCube and they made too many stupid mistakes with it (beginning with making it look like a child's toy), and that basically sunk their traditional console hopes in a lot of ways.

Going with a portable-centric platform is more within Nintendo's ability these days and they're better off focusing on the portable market.

Console market is too tough and has changed too much for them to ever be a driver in that market again, especially given their traditional Japanese management. It's just beyond them.

I don't really view Switch as an innovative platform really though, it's just an extension of the Wii U concept just taken to the logical next step ... becoming fully portable instead of semi-portable. I'm actually surprised they don't really have anything that new beyond that, I mean HD Rumble is sorta neat, but at the end of the day it's just a shaking controller, it doesn't dramatically alter anything game play wise. 

No. Beyond the author's simple taste for innovation, they'd have to go third party or out of business in less ten-twenty years if they went that route.

There will be a point in the not to distant future, where a simple computer in a box game console won't be necessary. As computers and graphics cards become cheaper, as streaming games becomes a viable option, and so on. You can already play games directly through some TVs, or through a 50 dollar Rokuish device.

Sony and Microsoft are already hedging their bets with XBox focusing more on PC as a gaming platform, and Sony building PSNow. Nintendo's not really in a position to do those sorts of things. So, they have to make it so that their actual hardware offers something unique that can not be easily replicated. It's not like a company couldn't release something like the switch, but without one company being in charge of internal hardware, software, and the external hardware, it would be hard to make something that would function as smoothly and offer motion controlled gaming, handheld, and TV gaming.

Of course, Nintendo could be fighting a losing battle anyway, but they have to try and make sure that dedicated hardware is still a necessity, and part of that is building unique features directly into the hardware.

Nintendo is loved for innovation.

If I want power, I get PC.

If I want a strong console, I get playstation

If I want new ways to play, I go for Nintendo

If I want an all-in-one for my living room, I go for Microsoft

Nothing is gained from companies giving up what they're loved for.

Switch is a traditional console as traditionally consoles are ever-evolving pieces of hardware, just like their original inspirations of the arcades. New methods for control inputs have been the norm, thus the tradition.

What PlayStation and Xbox do, sticking to the same things over generations, that's following the path of PCs, not the path of traditional consoles. You look at the successful console makers of the past (Atari, Nintendo, Sega) and their consoles went through innovative changes each generation. That's the traditional console model.

What the article should be really asking then is if Nintendo should make a dumbed down PC. The answer is an obvious no, because sales data points towards success when Nintendo strays away from the path of PlayStation and Xbox.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

No. Switch is the most forward thinking console I've seen for a LONG time. It may not have the horse power but the fundamentals of switch, mark my words, will be the future of dedicated gaming.