By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo Stop Innovating And Make A Traditional Console?

So, what do you think?

No, not at all. Innovatio... 122 33.42%

Not really, but I'd like... 92 25.21%

Don't know. Time will tell? 11 3.01%

Yeah, more less. Traditional is good. 47 12.88%

Absolutely. PS4 and Xbox ... 52 14.25%

What's "traditional" anyway? 19 5.21%

Show me the answers! 22 6.03%

Total:365

That isn't really a good question, as it assumes no middle-ground between what Nintendo has been doing and what Microsoft and Sony have been doing. It also creates a simplified view of the world where products like Eye Toy, Kinect, and Playstation VR never existed. "Nintendo innovates and no one else does anything but release a box," is a false dichotomy.

The truth is, innovation for the sake of innovation rarely improves upon the standard model. Standard models are standard models because they work. If you have something that improves upon that, or is better than that, then marketing that product is good for everyone. However, when your innovation is something that really doesn't improve anything, then all you're really doing is creating a gimmick to sell your product.

Should Nintendo continue to innovate? Yes, if they can, though true innovation is rare. Should Nintendo depend on gimmicks when they're unable to create something truly innovative? Well, that's up to them, though that business model will be full of strike-outs between the home-runs. It will also mean your consumer base erodes during the down periods.

The lesson Nintendo should have learned from the Wii U is not that gimmicks are necessarily bad, it's that EXPENSIVE gimmicks are bad and expensive gimmicks that you cannot divorce yourself from are killer.

I guess, really, rather than stop with innovations, they just need to do a better job of not depending on bad gimmicks. Easier said than done, of course.

Around the Network

YES !!!!!

Ive been saying this for years now.

1) Make a console that has up to date specs.
2) Put enough power in it so that all developers/ Publishers can release their games on it.
3) Develop a FRIENDLY controller. It needs to be able to play COMPETITIVE multiplayer games/ Comfortable controller.
4) Create bold Adult friendly games.
5) Keep their base franchises, but don't flood the console with too many (Mario) releases.

After the immense success that was the Wii (seriously, that thing printed money), I don't think Nintendo will ever try for another traditional console. At least not for a while.

On a related note, do we need another traditional console maker? Microsoft and Sony already have that realm covered, why not have a third that tries something different?

I don't think they need a brand-new high-end traditional console...

Just take the switch, throw away the Joy Cons, Screen, Battery, Dock, sell it for a fraction of the price... Profit.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Just take the switch, throw away the Joy Cons, Screen, Battery, Dock, sell it for a fraction of the price... Profit.

I don't think the market for a home-only Switch is very large, much like PSVita TV compared to even Vita sales were just a fraction. 

Nintendo's strong hold is portable game systems, as such that is going to be the bedrock of Switch sales. 

They can certainly make one though (a screen-less version basically) if they want. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Pemalite said:

I don't think the market for a home-only Switch is very large, much like PSVita TV compared to even Vita sales were just a fraction. 

Nintendo's strong hold is portable game systems, as such that is going to be the bedrock of Switch sales. 

They can certainly make one though (a screen-less version basically) if they want. 

Price can mean allot.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Were they innovating?

Doesn't look like it to me. They definitly made the choice to bet on gimmicks, but i wouldn't call them innovations.

Motion controls died. The wii u gamepad never had its potencial tapped (perfect for mmo's). The gamecube had a handle? The N64 controller was a misfire. The only thing that stuck around was rumble.

So yeah, they should have gone for a powerful console.

Nem said:
Were they innovating?

Doesn't look like it to me. They definitly made the choice to bet on gimmicks, but i wouldn't call them innovations.

Motion controls died. The wii u gamepad never had its potencial tapped (perfect for mmo's). The gamecube had a handle? The N64 controller was a misfire. The only thing that stuck around was rumble.

So yeah, they should have gone for a powerful console.

Yeah the D-pad, shoulder buttons and analog stick were just useless gimmicks that died fast...

Tag

Is the Switch really an innovation? Because it's pretty much all past Nintendo gimmicks + portable. There's nothing innovative in the Switch, if you ask me.

Should they stop? Should they make a PS4/XBO or PS5/XB2 clone? Hard to tell. I dont think they should.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988