By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does It Really Matter How Much Switch Sells?

RolStoppable said:
Peh said:

They definitely sold 100 millions of WII's to the customer. But most of the customers just bought it for WII Sports. They never bought any other software for it. It was something different for them and tried it out and that's it. Expecting those customers moving over to the WII U was a mistake.

The things you read on gaming forums... you actually believe them, right?

A quick check of the numbers and running some basic maths in your head would make you realize how nonsensical your post is. Let me explain.

Wii sold 100m units of hardware and 900m units of software. You say most Wii owners never bought any other game than Wii Sports; most implies a majority, but I'll put the value at 50m to make the maths easier. Now we have:

50m units of hardware with 50m units of software for a tie ratio of 1.
50m units of hardware with 850m units of software for a tie ratio of 17. (That's a ridiculously high tie ratio, but keep in mind that I am actually lowballing your insanity.)

So if we assume that there were 50m scumbags who owned nothing but Wii Sports, we are left with 50m gamers who loved the console so much that they bought an average of 17 games for it. Why did those gamers not move to the Wii U then? For your information, the Wii U sold less than 14m units and has a tie ratio of ~7.5, so the Wii owners who bought a Wii U bought a lot less games for their new console.

You don't need to bother to explain the maths, because the numbers simply aren't going to add up.

"The things you read on gaming forums... you actually believe them, right?"

"...running some basic maths in your head would make you realize how nonsensical your post is"

"but keep in mind that I am actually lowballing your insanity"

Condescending, much?
I havn't checked the real attach ratio, I was simply speaking by what I heard and I was in the wrong here. No need to act like an asshole, really.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

I hope it sells more than the 3DS because the Switch seems like a much better handheld to me.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Peh said:

Condescending, much?

More like blatantly insulting again.

Rol for new moderator?

Alkibiádēs said:
I hope it sells more than the 3DS because the Switch seems like a much better handheld to me.

As long as it gets all the handheld goodies I'd agree.

Maybe it's slightly too large and has a weaker battery then I'd like, but Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and we're golden!

Though I also hope they eventually make a Mario Kart 9 for it...

I'm not impressed by it's launch line-up but it could turn into a very good Nintendo console that I'd hope would outsell the 3ds, though I'm not sure it will make it.

anything over 50 mil will make me happy! just posted in another thread too.

Switch!!!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

You don't strike me as stupid. The more appropriate word would be gullible (not just in this instance, but others too; this one was especially glaring though)

You do realize you just instulted him again right?

RolStoppable said:
Peh said:

"The things you read on gaming forums... you actually believe them, right?"

"...running some basic maths in your head would make you realize how nonsensical your post is"

Condescending, much?
I havn't checked the real attach ratio, I was simply speaking by what I heard and I was in the wrong here. No need to act like an asshole, really.

Sorry, but the tone of my post was necessary. If I treated your statements respectfully, you could feel inclined to believe that you had (sort of) a valid point.

All three lines you quoted, they weren't wrong. Now you know that you shouldn't believe what you read without giving it some thought first. Looking up the numbers and running some maths indeed makes you quickly realize that something is off; that sentence isn't even an insult, it gives you credit in advance for the intelligence I expect you to have. You don't strike me as stupid. The more appropriate word would be gullible (not just in this instance, but others too; this one was especially glaring though), but that's something that can be easily rectified.

I don't know who you think I am, but just posting facts or citing a source would be more than enough for proving me wrong.
When I am posting facts and quoting someone else, I always provide a source. Meaning, that everything else I post is mostly what I think at the moment, which is obviously opened to be challenged by everyone.

When I am wrong: I am wrong. I'll be not denying this.

I am not stubborn and holding to a position because for the sake of it. Thus, being condescending towards me was more than unnecassary.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

As long as I got great games without droughts I don't really care!

Barkley said:
Soundwave said:

Even as a Nintendo fan while my heart says this would be great, my brain tells me it would be terrible. 

Nintendo is like that friend you have who's a cool dude, but maaaaaaan are they ever fucking annoying/crazy when they get drunk, and Nintendo can be awful when they are drunk on power.

Let's be honest, they're STILL drunk after the Wii.

Perhaps they've managed to condense there drunkeness to just the horrific January presentation and 1-2-Switch though.

That guy seems to be having way too much fun..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

That guy seems to be having way too much fun..

Do you think he was directed to act like that? He chose to act like that? Or that's just how he actually is as a person? xD