By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ARMS to have many more modes and charcters left to announce. Can be played with a single Joy Con

I was getting worried there, I hope it is at least 10.

Around the Network

Great news. In before the "It looks like an indie game", "it's just a gimmicky game" or "It's not worth full price" crowd comes in.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

This game looks likethe next Splatoon. I hated it at first and I'm slowing starting to love it. Looks so fun!

I admit, I judged this game a too harshly on its initial reveal, as the trailer was a bit too corny for my taste and it looked suspiciously reminiscent of the Wii Sports boxing minigame.

Having watched the Treehouse segment however, it does look more substantial than I initially thought. It looks a little bland visually, but the gameplay looks solid.

I really had no worries that this would happen. Arms looks like the kind of game that would have a ton of cool characters in it.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

I admit, I judged this game a too harshly on its initial reveal, as the trailer was a bit too corny for my taste and it looked suspiciously reminiscent of the Wii Sports boxing minigame.

Having watched the Treehouse segment however, it does look more substantial than I initially thought. It looks a little bland visually, but the gameplay looks solid.

That's Nintendo's fault, not yours. Everyone thought poorly of the game at first.

Yeah, they do kinda suck at reveals sometimes; a lot of their games that are legitmately good have awful first impressions.

Those are good news indeed. Although it's not my type of game.

this game is trying to be another Splatoon. what Splatoon did though was introduce great gameplay with motion controls seemlessly blended in. ARMS focuses entirely on motion controls in the trailers which is killing it

Bandorr said:
"Yes. But their available actions might be a little limited. So you should use two Joy-Con when you’re looking to get serious… that’s how we designed the game."

Seems a bit awkward.

The point of the "joycons" was the whole "hey you can play with me" concept. Which sounds like may not work perfectly well for this game.

Seems like there's enough buttons for a single joycon.  There's seven buttons including one for the analog stick and from what I can make out the game needs buttons for punches and curved puches for both arms (4), jumping (1), specials (1) and blocking (1).  That being said, I don't know how dashing works (I assume you double tap on the analog stick for a quick dash) so there might be a need to assign a button for that and maybe do a button combination for curved punches or blocking.

yeah, i was pretty critical of this game till they said it will have online. That changed my tune. I thought it was going to be another mario tennis U.