By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Psp or Ds (Which has better Games?)

Is this thread a joke?

I can't believe that there are people who say the PSP.

I mean, the PSP has good and great games, but most of them are watered down versions of already existing PS2/PS1 games, and the good original games are ported to other consoles like the Wii, Xbox 360 (Live) and PS3 (Tekken DR).

The DS on the other hand has so much exclusive and interesting content it is scary.

For a LocoRoco game (ported to PS3) there are dozens of Phoenix Wrights, Prof Layton, Trauma Center (ported to Wii), Ninja Gaiden DS, Elite Beat Agents, etc.

The comparison is not even funny. If you have a console the PSP won't provide you with any new experience, it's just an extension of what already exists.

But the DS complements other consoles, those experiences can't be ported.

The PSP may have many great games, but if you want new great experiences, the DS is clearly the way to go.

My vote is for DS, as I have had the most satisfying gaming experience with it since the NES.

Around the Network

idk, to make a debate over something silly

FreeTalkLive said:
I guess it depends what someone likes. If someone likes RPG, Strategy, Adventure, Platform, Training, Unique, Puzzle, or Nintendo 1st party type games, DS has much better games. Both systems are weak for Racing and Fighting games. PSP has better Sports and Sandbox games. Overall, like everyone said, DS has much better 3rd party support.

I would say this analysis is a little off.  Better would be:

• RPG: DS slight lead
  • Strategy: PSP slight lead
  • Adventure: DS
  • Racing: PSP
  • Platform: DS
  • Fighting: PSP
  • Puzzle: DS
  • Action: PSP
  • Action Adventure: PSP slight lead
Your first sentence should have been your thesis: it depends on what someone likes. They are pretty even in genres; it just depends on which ones you prefer: Adventure, Platform, and Puzzle (DS), or Racing, Fighting, and Action (PSP). The other genres are pretty similar in terms of quality.

Systems owned: Nintendo 64, GameCube, Xbox 360, Atari 7800, Genesis, PlayStation, Dreamcast, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS.

Year-end predictions (April 6, 2008):

• DS: 94 million (96.0)
  • Wii: 46 million (44.4)
  • PSP: 45 million (43.6)
  • X360: 27 million (27.3)
  • PS3: 24 million (19.4)
  • PS2: 124 million (123.7)

Welp, soon this topic will start with the flame wars between the majority of DS loyal, and the vocal minority PSP entheusiast, spearheaded by Hunter_Alien and a few others, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

It's just silly and insulting to the DS to say that all it has is Poke'mon games, just like it's silly to claim that the PSP is a failed system, or "has no games."

Here are the important points I can make:

The PSP has a slight lead in the number of 80 plus games on gamerankings. That is certainly cherrypicking, and yes, most of those games are pretty crappy, like MLB:06 The Show, but I mention it because it's a PSP talking point.

The DS and PSP libraries are vastly different.

IN MY OPINION: Most traditional handheld gamers who perfer Japanese support, and the wide range of genre titles, would be better off with the DS. This simply stems from the large amount of 3rd party support, particularly JRPG's, the DS has amassed due to sales. Just looking at the 08 lineup for the DS, or the things that is has release so far this year, the PSP can't compare, unfortunately. Already we have Advance Wars:DoR, Ace Attorney, Laytons, Dragon Sword, CC, and other games.

IN MY OPINION: If you're looking for a more "Playstation" experience, or really, a more "home console" experience, with added abilities like MP3 player and movie functionality, then the PSP is definately the right choice. However, this year, the system has shown some quality support from a software perspective, with GoW, Papaton, and Core Crisis being premiere in its lineup.

In the end, it comes down to taste. Both systems have plenty of reasons to buy them, and both systems have enough great games to keep any gamer busy, who hasn't bought one yet, for the next two years, easily, by itself.

The actual quantity of quality titles, PROBABLY resides with the DS, but why try to compare them when they are so close? Why try to lable one as a "Poke'mon system" or one as a "sports game" system? That's just flame bait. The fact is, both systems have their share of games aimed at an adult audience, and both systems have their share of sports games, and both systems have at least passable games from most genres.

There is no real anwser, it's a matter of taste.

Obviously, being a huge fan of Japanese style games, I find both systems have must play games, but the immediate future has me leaning far more towards my DS for these reasons:

Rondo of Swords
DragonQuest IX
Valkyrie Profile 3
The World Ends With You
Kingdom Hearts
Etrian Oddessey 2
Soma Bringer
NG:Dragon Sword
Tales of Tempest
Tales of Innocence
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced: A2
Fire Emblem remake(with Marth)
Professor Laytons and the Curious Village
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Professor Layton and Pandoras Box
Castlevania DS part 3
FF:CC
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness DS

I don't have the PSP list offhand, but it is also impressive, imo, just not quite as impressive.

I hope my 2 cents had added to this topic and not detracted from it.

I just wanted to add, in response to the post above mine, I think that the DS has a significant lead in JRPG's, due to upcoming titles, but particularly, I think it has a lead and is not trailing in SRPG's right now, just because of the Advance Wars series, which is amazing, along with the fact that Fire Emblem, Rondo of Swords, and Disgaea are hitting the DS pretty soon.

I would say that FFT is greater than the Advance Wars titles by itself, however, it is a port, and I can't see it giving the PSP the edge in current tactics, particularly with the pretty awesome list of upcoming DS tactics support gaming.

However, I do feel that the number one reason to own a PSP is because Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lions War is avaialable for the system.

As for action, I hate to say it, but I think that goes to the DS as well, because of the Castlevania games, Contra, Ninja Gaiden, and quite a multitude of other amazing action games availble for the system. A lot of earlier games are often overlooked, with the DS. Of course, this is all just my opinion, which I'm sure vastly differs from the next guys. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.