By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NES Classic Sells 1.5 Million Units; Nintendo Apologizes For And Explains Shortages

Acevil said:
To be fair, I am surprised it sold that amount and caused a shortage.

I'm surprised Nintendo has suppled it so badly, considering the solid games and sweet price point.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

Wow, I didn't think they shipped that many units. I was under the impression that they were rather low. Hopefully they ship more to meet the demand soon. Some people are still looking for the darn thing.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I wasn't interested in it at all but could well be interested in a super nintendo and N64 version which are my preferred consoles.

Boutros said:
Acevil said:

Unless...

How does one distinguish between intentional undershipping and an underestimation of demand?

RolStoppable said:
Acevil said:

Because you are as stupid as Nintendo and can't properly judge the value of these classic games. If you believed that sales would only be driven by nostalgia, then yes, you'd be surprised that there's so much demand. But you didn't need to be alive 30 years ago in order to appreciate a Best of NES today, and at a small price at that.

Nintendo lost out on a lot of money this past holiday season not only because of low shipments, they also lost out because they priced the system so low. They could have made this $99 and it would still have flown off the shelves.

The good thing for Nintendo is that those NES games don't sell on hype, so the NES Classic can keep on selling. That at least limits the financial damage they did to themselves this past holiday season.

Lastly, Nintendo's expectation that this bodes well for Switch is justified. The NES Classic is similar to their smartphone games, as in raising brand awareness. Breath of the Wild returning to Zelda's roots with a massive open world (that's what the original Zelda on the NES was) could pay off big time.

But is the NES, not even SNES!

Around the Network

What, 1.5 mio? I thought there wouldn't be more than - say - 200.000 people worldwide who would have wanted one.

How hard can this thing be to make, seriously? It's getting a little absurd now. I have YET to find the damn thing for the list price, closest I've seen is for like $135 by third parties on Amazon, and there aint no way I'm spending that kind of money on a glorified emulator, despite how cool a collectors item it may be. And this is coming from a guy who grew up in the NES gen (towards the end of it anyway). At this rate I'm going to be able to get a Switch before a NES Classic, which is just crazy. I have a feeling Nintendo is creating an artificla shortage, but they need to watch it before they end up cutting demand short, especially since soon people are going to be moving on and getting a Switch instead. I'm already losing a bit of my hype for this thing. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

KLXVER said:
Not sure if there is a big demand anymore.

Its still charting quite well on Amazon

Pocky Lover Boy! 

"We're sorry we totally like creating artificial shortages."

Acevil said:
Boutros said:

I was referring to a previous conversation regarding Nintendo and "shortages".

Well they have gone super conservative after they overproduced the wii u. 

Nintendo helping the environment! 

Pocky Lover Boy!